“I loved hotels that are well-managed bargains!”

Rodeway Inn University / Downtown
Ranked #175 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Gunnison, Colorado
“I loved hotels that are well-managed bargains!”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel is very well located - on I-35, less than a mile from UT Austin, and about a mile from downtown Austin. I was able to stay there for $60, although that rate may have been a result of me booking at the last minute. It's shaped as a tall U, which makes it feel protected, small, and comfy - I was surprised at how quiet it was despite its proximity to the freeway. The room was stocked with a high quality refrigerator, microwave, iron, ironing board, coffeemaker, and hair dryer. The AC works very well (which is an important thing in a hot city like Austin). The sheets seemed to be of higher quality than your typical bargain hotel. I loved the Mediterranean feel of the laminate in the bathroom - I imagined it was an addition by the current owners. I had already decided to use this hotel as my permanent good deal, great location hotel in Austin from this point on for all of these reasons... and then I found out that I had been able to check in at 3am the night before (my flight was delayed) because the owner made sure he was available for me to honor my reservation (even though I never called to tell him I'd be checking in three hours later than I'd said earlier in the day). That's unusually outstanding service. I love hotels that are well managed bargains!

For more picky travelers, be aware that the AC was a little loud, the channels available on the TV seemed spotty (although at least 20 channels worked), and the shower took ten minutes to get hot although it was warm right off. I lived in Austin for over ten years, and the location is fine for walking around during the day - but you might run into unsavories at night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
McAllen, Texas
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I had to stay here with a group of students. I chose this because of the location to the University and the Erwin Center. It is close enough to walk if you have good shoes and hips. But expect to smell the fumes along the way. The color scheme of the hotel would not be my favorite. The continental breakfast choices were very small along with the place to eat in. The price is very good if you are on a budget and the room was clean. I am not sure about the pool. I did not go in.

Room Tip: No elevator.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Wife found a pubic hair on her pillow from the previous guest. Enough said...

But if you're not turned away by that, and like location and price, this scum hole may be the hotel for you.

If possible, police your own pubic hair. The cleaning staff won't

• Stayed July 2013
rodewayinnaustin, Owner at Rodeway Inn University / Downtown, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
This guest never stayed at this hotel. This guest was never registered at our hotel. We couldnt find his name or reservation anywhere in our system. This is a fake comment.
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Google maps had us get off the freeway in what everyone says is the worst possible part of Austin - the hotel itself is off the 236A exit, NOT the "R" street filled with prostitutes and dealers. The guy at the front desk was very helpful and friendly when I called for directions. And that's about the only good thing I can say about this motel other than its proximity to downtown (~5 min on the 35), noon check-out and pet-friendliness (+$10, $50 deposit).

It looks like the motel from Breaking Bad. We had dead cockroaches in our room. There were hairs on the wall of our shower. Besides lamps, our room hadn't been updated since the 80's. Our chair was cheap, ripped and stained. The light switches were sticky. The outdoor walkway smelled like urine. The ice maker was broken. We went down for breakfast and it was a mess. No coffee cups, no coffee. You can make your own Texas-shaped waffle, though. The AC on high never cooled our room to our liking. All for $120 a night. Gross.

• Stayed May 2013
Málaga, Andalucia, Spain
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel have many advantages:
1) Good situation (downtown 10 minutes), safe place
2) Big room, very confortable beds
3) Excellent price
4) Microwate, fridge, iron
5) Pool
6) Minimun breakfast (milk, coffe, juice, cereals and two kind of cake)
7) Bathroom: OK
8) TV OK

Disadvantages:
Only one: the carpet smells very very bad. The room smells smoke. In fact, I had to open de windows all the day to have a cleaner air.

In my experience, the proximity of the highway is not a problem if you close the windows (other travelers said that this was the main problem; for me, it is no so noise place)

Room Tip: If you smoke, this is your perfect place as well as if you do not mind it smells not very well. It h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The motel is situated just next to the very busy highway so it was quite noisy during the night. The rooms are facing the road. Our room was clean, but modest and smaller than in other standard american motels. The breakfast was quite poor: just coffee/ orange juice and a couple of muffins. There were just 2 tables to sit and take a coffee for the all motel's guests. It's true it's not very far from downtown.

Room Tip: All the rooms are facing the highway so they are quite noisy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends