“Everyone was right!”

Renaissance Austin Hotel
Ranked #43 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed July 20, 2008

I met my husband towards the end of his business trip. Since I'd rather stay at Marriotts - and the price was reasonable - this was our hotel!

The front office was great. I even got emails before the stay asking if I wanted an amenities - bath robe, exercise equipment for the room, fluffy pillow, etc.

Our room was a suite - which I don't remember requesting but not upset at all. (Reminds me of the Embassy Suites - a guest room with a TV and desk. The bedroom had a king size bed.

The view from our room was great. We could see the arboretum - which we walked later in the day.

My only gripe was that there were no club level services on the weekend and nothing to compensate - but usually this is the deal with Renaissances. Oh well,

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 27, 2008

Have stayed at this hotel twice with business and found it to be excellent.

Front staff are all very friendly and willing to help.

Rooms are tastefully decorated and extremely comfortable with ample space. All rooms contain an office desk and hook up for internet access, wireless access is chargeable at $9.99 for 24 hours, I think this should be provided for free considering the cost of staying at the hotel.

All food served within the hotel is delicious, buffet breakfast is one of the best I've ever had, plenty of choice and something to suit everyone. Hotel also has a nice little coffee shop serving Starbucks coffee.

Hotel has a small gym, pool and sauna which is nice to relax in.

The surrounding area of the hotel has quite a wide variety of shops and restaurants. I was also told that there are some great jogging routes in the area. The hotel itself is approx 20 mins drive to Austin city centre.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank TommyCork
Reviewed April 23, 2008

We recently spent 3 nights at this hotel while my husband attended a conference on the property. It is a lovely hotel and we found the service to be excellent. The staff was friendly and helpful and property beautiful. The hotel, while located a distance from downtown Austin, is in a very nice area with a number of shops and restaurants within walking distance. The access to downtown via the freeways is quick and easy. There is an excellent fitness room on the property - one of the nicest I've found in a hotel. There is also the wonderful convenience of a separate elevator that goes to the fitness level so you don't have traipse through the lobby in your workout or swimming apparel. Other than conference meals which were very well done, we only ate breakfast once in the dining room and I had several light meals in the lobby "cafe". All were very high qualtiy.

I do have a couple of negatives however. The rooms do not have individual safes. Having traveled in many other countries, I have come to expect this in nicer (pricier) hotels. They should be in these rooms rather that the "advice" given at the conference to "bring your valuables with you each day". We never had any problems, but.... I also greatly resent that when you are paying about $300/night you are charged an additional fee ($11) per computer daily for internet access. Lower tier hotels are now almost universally offering free high speed wi-fi, so this really seems like a major rip-off!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank MZC-Grandma
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I stayed there for several months and had constant problems with my bill, my laundry (lost, broken buttons, late delivery, etc). My bathroom flooded on more than one occassion and seeped into the carpet and the staff was very slow to fix the problem.
The hotel itself is beautiful with marble floors, two glass walled elevators and a very pretty atrium but it's definitely not worth the hassle to stay there when you could be downtown in much nicer hotels where the service, price and the selection of surrounding restaurants is much, much nicer.
The only redeeming quality (apart from the atrium) is the fact that there was a Cheesecake Factory within walking distance and it is located near the Arboretum shopping area where there were lots of nice stores to shop for replacement clothes (for the ones that hotel laundry service butchered).
The staff definitely need to have refresher courses in customer service in basic manners.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank FlyGirl25
Reviewed February 10, 2008

This is a nice hotel.
Stayed on the Executive Level for two nights. The bed was very comfortable with nice bedding. The shower head was good with ample hot water and good water pressure. Pretty view of the surrounding hill country.
Although this area is 15 - 20 min from the airport, it is an easy drive.
There are many restaurants, shopping and stores all around the area. We tried Eddiv V's which was in walking distance. It's a bit pricey, but wonderful food for splurge evening.

Ate breakfast in the executive level lounge, which included scrambled eggs, a variety of breads, fruits and juices. Very convenient.

The only downside that I would mention is that the executive lounge does not have a computer and printer available for guests. A lot of the executive level lounges provide this for customers.

Would love to stay here again...

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank bandit
Reviewed January 26, 2008

We had read great reviews - and our experience did not disappoint! Hotel staff is very friendly, gorgeous lobby welcomes you, rooms are large & comfortable. Bath, although not oversized is certainly more than adequate. Brakfast buffet was $16 - and worth every penny. Best of all - we found an excellent rate through the Marriott website and stayed at this luxury hotel for a budget price! Would recommemd it to anyone for a great stay.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank sophiegirl04
Reviewed January 7, 2008

This place was a let down. We were very sore from the rock hard beds ... and I like a firm mattress. Our room had a nice view of the atrium area, but that is about all that stood out about the room ... quite average otherwise. In fact, the bathroom had a very cheap, almost make-shift, lighting feature that was little more than a plastic grid used to "block" or diffuse flourescent tubes. I was a little appalled that the plastic grid allowed guest to view some rather large holes in the walls surrounding the electrical elements and water (?) pipes. Not very appealing. We were not happy that online services were soley geared toward business travelers ... too many hoops to jump through to get wireless access to quickly check email or whatnot. The exercise room was outstanding, the "heated" pool was very cold ... too cold to use, the hot tub was rather small ... too small/intimate for comfortable useage with strangers. Overall, the place did not seem very luxurious for a luxury hotel ... it seemed overpriced and overrated. We actually cut our stay short by a day because of the lack of comfort.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple