“Not What I Expected But OK” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Austin Hotel

Renaissance Austin Hotel
Ranked #56 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Gatesville, TX
“Not What I Expected But OK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

They have completed a renovation on this hotel, but it still didn't look like a 4 star hotel to me. It is nice, but I'm glad I didn't pay 4 star prices. I got it on priceline. The rooms are nice, beds are very comfortable with great linens and superbly comfortable mattresses. We went to the bar to get a drink and waited 15 minutes while the host and waitress talked, then decided to go to the bartender himself rather than wait for table service. I would say if you can get a good deal on the price, it is very well located in North Austin, but to be in the same category as the Driskill or Hilton downtown? No. You will be disappointed if you think that is what you are getting.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stay at this hotel yearly for a conference and, for the first time, visited Austin with my 7-year-old daughter for a relaxing weekend. When I walked in the lobby, I was pleasantly surprised by the modern feel of the hotel. There was construction happening when I was there last summer, but I had no idea they were completely renovating the lobby and rooms. The very modern feel of the rooms and lobby gave it a very clean appearance. I love the beds and especially the pillows! In the past, I have endured the small pillows that Marriott tends to use in most of their hotels, but these are standard size and comfortable! The vanity area of the bathroom was completely modernized with sleek faucets and a sloped sink. The large black and white picture in the bathroom added an interesting look.

Unfortunately, it rained for most of our stay so we hung out in the room more than we had planned, but we didn't mind since the rooms are large and we could play cards to pass time.
In addition, there were plenty of restaurants within minutes of the hotel. I was provided a list and map of about 50 restaurants. Once it dried up, we made our way to downtown to visit the Capitol, museums and watch the bats at Congress Ave. The drive was very easy! (I do recommend the Mopac to Cesar Chavez route rather than 183 to I-35 to see the bats.)

I can't close without mentioning the awesome staff. My daughter got hurt when we were walking out of the hotel and everyone around was most helpful in retrieving ice and giving me information as to a close medical clinic to get an X-Ray. The valets/bellhops were particularly warm and inviting upon arrival/departure and each time we returned for the day.

Thanks for another great stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rob G, General Manager at Renaissance Austin Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Greetings from Austin! Thank you again for such a great review post from your recent Austin visit! We are so glad that you had such a great experience and fun discoveries with your daughter. I wanted to check back with you and check on her and make sure was doing well. I'm sure she is ready for a fun summer break. We hope to see you again soon at the Renaissance. All the best, Rob G
McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is my first stay at this property since they (almost) completed their top to bottom renovation. The oversized rooms are re-done to the updated Renaissance standard with a lot of Texas flair added in for good measure.

The check-in service was fantastic and the general manager took time to welcome me to the property.

The rooms are very new, very modern, and very clean.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Rob G, General Manager at Renaissance Austin Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us on your visit to Austin! We love our hotel and city. Our recent renovations have received tremendous reviews. This summer we are adding a spectacular outdoor large deck on our 2nd level with awesome fire pits, unique comfy furniture, lighting designs and it will definitely be a signature fabulous Austin setting. You will have to come back this Fall and enjoy. Thank you again for taking the time to share your review with the world. I hope to personally welcoming you on your return... All the best, Rob G
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stay at the Renaissance every year and was pleasantly surprised when I walked into my room and found the nice updates. The rooms have always been clean, the bed was very comfortable. The staff are friendly and the location is convenient to restaurants and shopping.

Room Tip: The rooms are centered around an open courtyard, to minimize noise ask for a room that is away from...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rob G, General Manager at Renaissance Austin Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for your nice compliments from your recent stay! We indeed have just completed a $12.5 million dollar renovation on all of our guest rooms, lobby, grand ballroom and high speed internet upgrades. I hope to be able to personally meet you when you return to Austin for a visit.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your review. Best, Rob G
Marlborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Spent 2 nights here last week while in Austin on business. The hotel is built around a large atrium, so there can be some noise from that. However, I have no complaints about my stay. Fairly typical room for this price range. The A/C worked great, which is important in Texas. The bathroom has a combined shower/tub, which is not my favorite arrangement. The only TV channel that I wanted to watch (CNBC) was not working and they were unable to fix it.

There is a Starbucks in the atrium, which I used for breakfast (I had an early start and the restaurant doesn't open until 6:30 AM).

All in all, a good stay with no major issues.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed at the Renaissance Austin last week. Only a few minutes from downtown and convenient to high-end shopping at The Arboretum and Domain. The hotel is the second largest in Austin, but you don't get lost in the shuffle.....the service is outstanding. It's just been renovated and the rooms have plenty of amenities and are beautiful. Good food in the restaurant and a beautiful setting. We toured the conference areas and are planning a meeting there in the near future (we have a high tech firm). A very nice place to stay and experience Austin, especially in the spring when the weather is outstanding.

Room Tip: Ask for a view towards downtown, although it doesn't really matter.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for you great posting regarding your recent stay at the Renaissance Austin. Our team of ambassadors love the hotel, the city and our company which is always a great formula for a general manager. We want to be a great reflection of our city and recent renovation work is designed to feel Pure Austin. We are grateful that you took the time to share your review and we would love to be your favorite property when Austin is your destination for travel. I hope to personally welcome you on your next visit. Have a great summer! Rob G
Kitchener
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for four nights in May while attending a conference.

We arrived late and check in was a breeze. They assigned us a room on the 6th floor that overlooked the courtyard. The courtyard is the focal point inside the hotel with rooms on all levels surrounding it. Only one side actually has rooms that look over it. Those rooms (which I had one of) have sliding doors that allow access in most cases to a very narrow balcony. The courtyard does tend to echo and noises can be a little bothersome at night but I didn't find it to be too bad.

The hotel has two pools, one inside and outside... There is a separate pool elevator that goes to all floors which is a nice feature.

The property the hotel is very scenic. It's location is handy for shopping as there are a lot of stores near by, although a car would make accessing some of them more straightforward. Also quite a few good restaurants are handy. We went to a Mexican one Manuels and an Italian one Brio which were both excellent and less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel. We took the bus downtown which took about 50 minutes and was a $1 each way. The cab ride from the airport was $50 before tip.

There is free wifi in the lobby, in room Internet is $12.99 a day and allows you to connect up to five devices.

This hotel is extremely well maintained and clean. During our stay we constantly witnessed staff cleaning every aspect of the place. One minor billing issue was quickly resolved on check out and the whole stay was top notch. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rob G, General Manager at Renaissance Austin Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind remarks regarding our hotel! It is a true pleasure to be the general manager at this beautiful property. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope to personally welcome you upon your return to Austin. Our ambassadors love the city, the company and the hotel; which makes for a really fun formula as a general manager that has the fortune of working here. Hope to have you back soon! All the best, Rob G