“I'd Rather Stay at Sleep Inn N. Austin” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Austin Hotel

Renaissance Austin Hotel
Ranked #40 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Fort Worth
“I'd Rather Stay at Sleep Inn N. Austin”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We went to Austin a couple of days early for a convention and I was looking forward to a nice hotel. What a disappointment! We stay elsewhere for the first two days then checked in at the Renaissance on Sunday about 4 pm. We reserved a room with 2 queen beds and at 4 pm they did not have any rooms of this type clean. After waiting in the lobby for about 15 minutes they called on our cell phone to let us know they had upgraded us to a suite and it was available.

When we arrived in the suite it was warm and stuffy and despite the "individually" controlled air it never got much better. Upon inspection of the room I found that it was not clean at all. There was a fruit stem of some sort on the night stand, hairs on the desk, trash left under the edge of the bed and the mirror on the bathroom door was absolutely filthy. We immediately called the front desk and they sent up a supervisor to clean the room. The supervisor was very nice and went about cleaning the suite and later returned with chocolates and water.

I don't think the supervisor attempted to clean the door mirror. She said it was clean, but just looked bad. After a closer look I could see hair spray on the mirror. I took a damp towel and cleaned the mirror myself and it was nasty, it didn't just look bad.

After a long, hot night in a hard, uncomfortable bed we called the front desk to report that the air conditioning was not working. We turned it down to 65 degrees the night before and should have been shivering. Maintenance come and turned the ac down to 59 degrees which didn't fix the problem at all. The room never cooled off much and was barely comfortable for sitting and not comfortable enough for sleeping.

I was somewhat shocked at the furniture in the Renaissance suite. Although it was supposed to be "modern" it just looked cheap to me. The nightstand between the bed was more of a bookcase. The mural in the bathroom was just weird, a black and white picture of a shower, I think. I was not at all impressed. On the plus side the TV was great, but I didn't spend much time watching it. In case you think I'm just a hick, I've stayed a many nice resorts and hotels, this one just doesn't measure up.

I woke up both mornings feeling like I was sleeping on a dining room table and couldn't wait to leave.

Parking is a nightmare so be prepared to hike or use the valet service. If you're lucky you may get close in parking, but don't count on it.

The previous two nights we stayed at the Sleep Inn in N. Austin. Sleep Inn N Austin has the Renaissance beat hands down. Sleep Inn bed - wonderful and good linens, Sleep Inn cleanliness, spotless, Sleep Inn air - they encourage you to turn it down and it works great. Sleep Inn furniture, nice. Sleep Inn also has microwaves and free breakfast. No microwaves at the Renaissance. Sleep Inn customer service - excellent, Renaissance, haughty. Price wise - Sleep Inn is less than half the price of the Renaissance. Renaissance lobby, beautiful and pricey looking, Sleep Inn, beautiful and modestly priced. Internet access - free (and good) at Sleep Inn, $12.95 noon to noon at Renaissance. Parking at Sleep Inn, close. Renaissance beats Sleep Inn on towels, but that doesn't count for much in my book.

The front desk gave us a $40 credit for drinks at the bar. That was nice, but it didn't take away from the fact that the room was dirty, hot and uncomfortable. For the price they charge I expected much, much more.

If I'm paying for it I won't go back to the Renaissance. If my company is paying I might just ask them to register me at the Sleep Inn, I'll drive to the Renaissance thank you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank CowtownNative

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Aledo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have just checked out of this hotel that I have stayed at many many times. They have completely redone the suites in this hotel. It's simply beautiful and amazing. I am platinum with Marriott, so I was lucky enough to receive an upgrade. This hotel is going through a renovation process, but it's hardly noticeable, the location is amazing and so easy to get around Austin and surrounding areas because of easy access to major highways:)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Rob G, General Manager at Renaissance Austin Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you so much for your nice compliments about your recent stay in April! I am delighted that you were so pleased with your suite and experienced some of Austins greatest ambassadors. We really do want to be Austin's friendliest and most comfortable hotel. I want to also say Thank you for your loyalty as a Platinum member to Marriott. We have so many loyal guests that stay with us. I hope to personally welcome you back to our property the next time you visit. I heard some recently say to me, "I have no immediate plans to be in Austin, but I'm always looking for an excuse." Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! Best, Rob G
League City, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was extremely disappointed with this hotel, we stayed here for a birthday weekend April 5th thru April 7th, 2013. Upon first arrival, the bathroom floor was not clean, there was hair from someone else all over the bathroom floor. We called to have it cleaned up immediately, housekeeping was immediately sent, and we noticed the housekeeper had a spray bottle and a large towel, she stayed in the room about 2 minutes in total. When we went back in to check, the floor still had hair from someone else, before our checkin. We called back down to the front desk only to let them know that we would clean it ourselves, but that we were disappointed with the service. Another problem that we had with this facility was that there was dust all over the railings as if it never gets cleaned. It is also extremely outdated and in desperate need of upgrading, bathroom floors, carpet, shower tiles. We travel very frequently, but mostly stay in Hyatt Hotels, but since this facility was available and affiliated with Marriott, we thought it would have been up to standards. However, there is plenty of room for improvement to this hotel as it concerns cleanliness as well as updating this facility. I would not stay here again unless it's been totally renovated because it has the potential to be a nice facility with better care applied.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank cher1110
Morrisville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have made many trips to this part of Austin over the years and by far this is my favorite property to stay at when I'm in town. The staff is always welcoming, they pay attention to details and the property is generally very clean. The mix between focus on providing a business friendly atmosphere and a resort like recreational environment really makes this property a gem. The rooms are on par with other Renaissance properties, they do have some with great views towards downtown and a few very nice suites. The executive lounge provides a nice place for those with access to relax and unwind or get ready for the day. This hotel is a bit different than most other Renaissance properties I've been in around the world. It has a huge atrium with several areas you can relax in (bar, coffee bar, piano area, etc) and some pretty massive fish tanks to sit and enjoy. The pool area is smaller than most but typically is not crowded. The gym is nice and functional. Most of all, if you have a room on the upper floors the place is very quiet. I've stayed at this hotel for over 60 nights in the past few years and each time I have had a quite, restful stay where I could work and "play" as I wanted or needed.

Room Tip: City view rooms on the upper floors are nice and quiet. There are some nice corner suites if you ar...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Used points to stay here with the family. The room was spacious (enough for 4 people) and was well appointed.
The hotel itself is beautiful with many public areas to sit and relax. There are many computers throughout (iMacs) to check emails.
I would definitely come to this hotel when in Austin.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Arlington, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our family recently stayed at this hotel as part of a very large wedding group. Although the staff was very friendly and the main lobby and facilities were of a 4* caliber, our room was less than stellar. From a light fixture that flickered when turned off, to extremely dusty tops of mirrors and picture frames, to a bed that had been knocked off its footings and was unstable, and finally to pillows that must have been bought at the local Dollar Store, this was simply not a 4* quality room. Anthony Melchiorri from "Hotel Impossible" would have been throwing things in our room if he had inspected it.

The coffee maker setup was extremely cumbersome to use, and the 1980s called and wanted its desk chair back.

We ended up hosting a reception for some other out of town guests at a neighboring fine dining establishment because the quoted rates by the hotel were just this side of outrageous.

Room Tip: At least make sure you get a room that has been recently renovated if you have no choice but to stay...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Scott H
Manvel, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed for Easter weekend here. The hotel is about 20 minutes from downtown which in my opinion is good to avoid the higher costs and parking dilemma.
Pros:
Large room and clean bathroom
Comfortable bed
LCD TV
Friendly staff
Free parking, big lot

Cons:
Bathroom door wouldn't stay closed
Air conditioning didn't cool down like we expected

I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars