“Customer Service Nightmare”

Renaissance Austin Hotel
Ranked #42 of 205 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I stayed there for several months and had constant problems with my bill, my laundry (lost, broken buttons, late delivery, etc). My bathroom flooded on more than one occassion and seeped into the carpet and the staff was very slow to fix the problem.
The hotel itself is beautiful with marble floors, two glass walled elevators and a very pretty atrium but it's definitely not worth the hassle to stay there when you could be downtown in much nicer hotels where the service, price and the selection of surrounding restaurants is much, much nicer.
The only redeeming quality (apart from the atrium) is the fact that there was a Cheesecake Factory within walking distance and it is located near the Arboretum shopping area where there were lots of nice stores to shop for replacement clothes (for the ones that hotel laundry service butchered).
The staff definitely need to have refresher courses in customer service in basic manners.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank FlyGirl25

Reviewed February 10, 2008

This is a nice hotel.
Stayed on the Executive Level for two nights. The bed was very comfortable with nice bedding. The shower head was good with ample hot water and good water pressure. Pretty view of the surrounding hill country.
Although this area is 15 - 20 min from the airport, it is an easy drive.
There are many restaurants, shopping and stores all around the area. We tried Eddiv V's which was in walking distance. It's a bit pricey, but wonderful food for splurge evening.

Ate breakfast in the executive level lounge, which included scrambled eggs, a variety of breads, fruits and juices. Very convenient.

The only downside that I would mention is that the executive lounge does not have a computer and printer available for guests. A lot of the executive level lounges provide this for customers.

Would love to stay here again...

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank bandit
Reviewed January 26, 2008

We had read great reviews - and our experience did not disappoint! Hotel staff is very friendly, gorgeous lobby welcomes you, rooms are large & comfortable. Bath, although not oversized is certainly more than adequate. Brakfast buffet was $16 - and worth every penny. Best of all - we found an excellent rate through the Marriott website and stayed at this luxury hotel for a budget price! Would recommemd it to anyone for a great stay.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank sophiegirl04
Reviewed January 7, 2008

This place was a let down. We were very sore from the rock hard beds ... and I like a firm mattress. Our room had a nice view of the atrium area, but that is about all that stood out about the room ... quite average otherwise. In fact, the bathroom had a very cheap, almost make-shift, lighting feature that was little more than a plastic grid used to "block" or diffuse flourescent tubes. I was a little appalled that the plastic grid allowed guest to view some rather large holes in the walls surrounding the electrical elements and water (?) pipes. Not very appealing. We were not happy that online services were soley geared toward business travelers ... too many hoops to jump through to get wireless access to quickly check email or whatnot. The exercise room was outstanding, the "heated" pool was very cold ... too cold to use, the hot tub was rather small ... too small/intimate for comfortable useage with strangers. Overall, the place did not seem very luxurious for a luxury hotel ... it seemed overpriced and overrated. We actually cut our stay short by a day because of the lack of comfort.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cagood
Reviewed December 3, 2007

Very nice and clean property all the way around. Excellent and friendly staff. Checked in on a very busy weekend, but would not have known it by the personalized service we received.

Location is a little way outside of downtown, but a good midway point between lake and downtown, which is an easy drive down MoPac highway.

Could go on and on about the property, but for this traveler with high expectations (service and cleanliness), it was very nice.

(just a side note; they did have a fire alarm go off early in t he evening and this is the only property I have been at where the staff handled it as they are really supposed to)

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank txcorgis
Reviewed November 26, 2007

My fiancee and I stayed at the Renaissance Hotel for two nights February 21-23, 2007. We were visiting Austin for the first time as we have been thinking of possibily relocating to the area. We had no prior knowledge of the Renaissance Hotel or any hotels in the area for that matter. However, we frequently stay in hotels in the U.S. and abroad when we travel, and I must say that the Renaissance was absolutely amazing. The hotel itself, as well as our room, was clean, well decorated, very friendly and inviting. The staff was top notch and friendly. I was actually shocked at how first class the Renaiassance actually was for the price that we paid for the room. I would highly recommend staying at the here. You'll be in a for a real treat. If I'm ever in the Austin area again I wouldn't think to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James T
Reviewed November 23, 2007

This review belongs to the Residence Inn on Tudor Lane which is also in the Arboretum area but on a separate street--there is no link to it
on TA so this is best I could do....

My husband and I had to travel to Austin the week before Thanksgiving to look at restaurants to use for the rehersal dinner for our son's wedding in March on Lake Travis and we also were looking at a private home advertised on VRBO to stay in at that time. We traveled with a very good friend, who would also be splitting the cost of the home.

She is a widow and does not feel comfortable staying in room by herself...The Residence Inn because it has a 2 bed/2bath suite was great for our purposes...although some people might consider it to be pricey for the cost. It is not a lux hotel by any means but it was very clean---we were on third floor which is what I requested standard
on my HiltonHonors--faced the side of bldg--private--not noisy although this one on Tudor is right off two busy freeways and just across from a big shopping center...

Had a seating area w/a gas fireplace which was a nice touch and helped warm that part of the room. Chair with a sleeper sofa(double bed size) so you could have slept even more than 4 people there...
Desk has lamp and lamp had plug in for computer cord...there was supposed to be internet access but we did not use it...tv had cable channels but remote was little confusing to use and we did not find the channel chart until the second day actually...Kitchen was at the front with full size refrig, microwave, coffemaker with the usualy scanty supply of sugar/sweetners...there were paper towels and dish cloths to use--and a dishwasher w/soap...The refrigerator was cold and
there was ice in the ice maker basket which sometimes does not happen because the house maids raise the arm and turn it off...We went by Whole Foods in the shopping center across from the hotel and bought some sandwich makings for supper cause my DH had driven down from DFW area that morning and we had been driving around Lake Travis looking at the rental house and a couple of retaurants that afternoon...he was tired...so it was nice to have the kitchen to fix the sandwiches--although you could just get Subway and take them to the room--

Bedrooms had ceiling fans which is nice although we did not use them...linens were ok--kind of harsh..There was a small strip of comforter along the foot of each bed (since I think people are complaining about not getting clean comforters and they are so expensive to dry clean)- there was one extra blanket in the room our friend used (which might have been for the sofa bed)--which means you have to turn the heat up if you get cold in middle of night....I did not like that---I like to feel weight from comforter or spread...

Sink was outside the bathroom proper--we had side with little counter space but the one our friend used had long counter top with plenty of room for setting out dopp kits...plenty of towels but they were not that soft...about 5 pillows per king bed--but they were pretty squishy
and soft for me...the mattress unfortunately was not the same...it had
no pillow top---more than firm...the second night my husband woke up about 3 am and could not take it any more--he went to lie down on the couch in living area...our friend was not bothered as much as we were however...but the mattresses felt cheap--hard but no real support--something that is a real negative to me...

Our room was quiet--we were away from the elevator and on third floor so don't know how full the hotel really was--breakfast room was busy when we ate there the two mornings but there were parking spaces in the lot both nights...

Breakfast itself was ok--coffe was good I thought --some boxed cereal,
granola, oatmeal--had scrambled eggs both days (that were kind of watery at the bottoms of the pan so I scooped mine from the top) and pan sausage Friday..waffles both days you could make youself (and I added pecans to mine) and Satureday there was French toast..toaster and bagels or English muffins--lots of carbs like most of these serve yourself breakfasts...drink machine for OJ and apple juice--styrofoam cups for to-go as well as china plates and cups--which I like...

there was a woman replinishing the fook and clearing the room We ate early both days--before 8 AM--Friday was more busy than Saturday...
Our stay was not inexpensive but to get something safe and comprable we would have paid probably more for two rooms...Ther other hotels that have 2 bedroom suites shared a bathroom...there was not that much difference between the regular rooms at the Residence Inn and the double/double suite----having the second bath just ensures everyone's privacy when it is needed and helps speed up getting ready in the morning as well...

If I needed the same type of arrangement again would definitely book this Residence Inn---and will add it to the list of area hotels on the
wedding info sheet sent to guests...remember ours was the one on Tudor
Lane--not Arboretum...