“Great location”

Renaissance Austin Hotel
Ranked #49 of 203 Hotels in Austin
“Great location”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Nice hotel, probably best in the area, but a little steep in price. Parking is not great, and rooms can be far from elevator. Amenities are good, fish tank in lobby is unique, and the staff are very friendly.

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We had several rooms booked here for a wedding party. The hotel was perfect, the service was excellent and the sales department was so helpful when I was planning the block of rooms for the wedding. Loved every minute of our weekend!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jmccowen
MA
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Overall it was a serviceable hotel, but I expected more. The rooms were O.K., but not great, fairly clean, with good bath products and water pressure. I stayed in two rooms, both were very humid, the carpet in the first was stained and curling in spots. I stayed in late Sept., which they consider cricket season - and they were everywhere in the hotel, including the guest rooms. At first I thought that they were cockroaches (I didn't want to get too close). I had many of these creepy-crawly visitors in my room and called down to the front desk about it. They did move me to a suite, which was nicer without as much wear and tear visible, but the next day when I returned to the suite more crickets had arrived, so I just dealt with having roommates.

The hotel's on-line description makes it sound like they are right in the heart of Austin, which is not the case. They are located in a strip mall area, about a 30+ minute cab ride from downtown (about a $30 fare each way) and a longer bus ride especially if you don't catch the express. The area has several restaurants and shops, but that's about it.

Prices for bottled water and food were higher than at the airport, but you could walk to nearby stores and stock up on drinks. It was fine for business, but I wouldn't want to stay there on vacation.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dallas
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Pretty hotel in a nice location with a lot of options for food and fun close by. However, I encountered a few problems. The HVAC must be old - it was cold out and when I went to my room it was 74 degrees (too warm for me). After I couldnt adjust the temp I was informed that the hotel could either run the AC or the heat - so I was not able to cool down my room (made for an uncomfortable stay). Also, it was below freezing and the hotel had blocked the 4 closest rows of parking for valet. I arrived late (after 9 PM) and had to park fairly far away from the hotel entrance. I was trouble to see only about 5 cars in this blocked section (about 60 spaces were blocked). After my very long and cold walk to the hotel I mentioned to the desk clerk that it seems silly that they had so many spaces blocked for valet especially since it was so late. His response almost rude - he essentially stated "well - you should valet park". I'm afraid I will not stay here again. Too bad - it is in a very good location.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Nice atmosphere and aged but serviceable rooms. Try to get a discount first and you will feel good about your stay

Room Tip: Ask for inside the courtyard view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We got a great rate on Priceline for our room. The location is great and the staff provided us a 4 mile running trail map so we didn't drive to town lake. They even provided us a bottle of water when we returned. The room was nice but the walls are thin and a group that got to their room at 3am woke us up for about an hour. I like the aveda shampoo in the bathroom! overall if you want a nice room for a decent price I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
TN
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I would like to start out by saying that the only reason I stayed in this hotel was because of a conference. I would have never paid the amount per night (which I think on average is about 200). The only thing great was the walking distance of shops and a few restaurants like Cheesecake Factory, Five Guys, PF Changs, etc. And it was too far from downtown.

The room was in my opinion just ok. The bed was not confortable. I did not like the view into the inside of the hotel. Had problems with the thermostat. They did not have complementary access to a computer and had to pay to use one. Had to pay a fortune for the taxi cab drive to the airport. I am not sure if I would recommend this to anyone quite honestly. I know I would rathered to stay downtown and pay the same amount of money to get a feel of Austin.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business