“Excellent Hotel - Perfect All-Around”

Renaissance Austin Hotel
Ranked #42 of 205 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed November 26, 2007

My fiancee and I stayed at the Renaissance Hotel for two nights February 21-23, 2007. We were visiting Austin for the first time as we have been thinking of possibily relocating to the area. We had no prior knowledge of the Renaissance Hotel or any hotels in the area for that matter. However, we frequently stay in hotels in the U.S. and abroad when we travel, and I must say that the Renaissance was absolutely amazing. The hotel itself, as well as our room, was clean, well decorated, very friendly and inviting. The staff was top notch and friendly. I was actually shocked at how first class the Renaiassance actually was for the price that we paid for the room. I would highly recommend staying at the here. You'll be in a for a real treat. If I'm ever in the Austin area again I wouldn't think to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James T

Reviewed November 23, 2007

This review belongs to the Residence Inn on Tudor Lane which is also in the Arboretum area but on a separate street--there is no link to it
on TA so this is best I could do....

My husband and I had to travel to Austin the week before Thanksgiving to look at restaurants to use for the rehersal dinner for our son's wedding in March on Lake Travis and we also were looking at a private home advertised on VRBO to stay in at that time. We traveled with a very good friend, who would also be splitting the cost of the home.

She is a widow and does not feel comfortable staying in room by herself...The Residence Inn because it has a 2 bed/2bath suite was great for our purposes...although some people might consider it to be pricey for the cost. It is not a lux hotel by any means but it was very clean---we were on third floor which is what I requested standard
on my HiltonHonors--faced the side of bldg--private--not noisy although this one on Tudor is right off two busy freeways and just across from a big shopping center...

Had a seating area w/a gas fireplace which was a nice touch and helped warm that part of the room. Chair with a sleeper sofa(double bed size) so you could have slept even more than 4 people there...
Desk has lamp and lamp had plug in for computer cord...there was supposed to be internet access but we did not use it...tv had cable channels but remote was little confusing to use and we did not find the channel chart until the second day actually...Kitchen was at the front with full size refrig, microwave, coffemaker with the usualy scanty supply of sugar/sweetners...there were paper towels and dish cloths to use--and a dishwasher w/soap...The refrigerator was cold and
there was ice in the ice maker basket which sometimes does not happen because the house maids raise the arm and turn it off...We went by Whole Foods in the shopping center across from the hotel and bought some sandwich makings for supper cause my DH had driven down from DFW area that morning and we had been driving around Lake Travis looking at the rental house and a couple of retaurants that afternoon...he was tired...so it was nice to have the kitchen to fix the sandwiches--although you could just get Subway and take them to the room--

Bedrooms had ceiling fans which is nice although we did not use them...linens were ok--kind of harsh..There was a small strip of comforter along the foot of each bed (since I think people are complaining about not getting clean comforters and they are so expensive to dry clean)- there was one extra blanket in the room our friend used (which might have been for the sofa bed)--which means you have to turn the heat up if you get cold in middle of night....I did not like that---I like to feel weight from comforter or spread...

Sink was outside the bathroom proper--we had side with little counter space but the one our friend used had long counter top with plenty of room for setting out dopp kits...plenty of towels but they were not that soft...about 5 pillows per king bed--but they were pretty squishy
and soft for me...the mattress unfortunately was not the same...it had
no pillow top---more than firm...the second night my husband woke up about 3 am and could not take it any more--he went to lie down on the couch in living area...our friend was not bothered as much as we were however...but the mattresses felt cheap--hard but no real support--something that is a real negative to me...

Our room was quiet--we were away from the elevator and on third floor so don't know how full the hotel really was--breakfast room was busy when we ate there the two mornings but there were parking spaces in the lot both nights...

Breakfast itself was ok--coffe was good I thought --some boxed cereal,
granola, oatmeal--had scrambled eggs both days (that were kind of watery at the bottoms of the pan so I scooped mine from the top) and pan sausage Friday..waffles both days you could make youself (and I added pecans to mine) and Satureday there was French toast..toaster and bagels or English muffins--lots of carbs like most of these serve yourself breakfasts...drink machine for OJ and apple juice--styrofoam cups for to-go as well as china plates and cups--which I like...

there was a woman replinishing the fook and clearing the room We ate early both days--before 8 AM--Friday was more busy than Saturday...
Our stay was not inexpensive but to get something safe and comprable we would have paid probably more for two rooms...Ther other hotels that have 2 bedroom suites shared a bathroom...there was not that much difference between the regular rooms at the Residence Inn and the double/double suite----having the second bath just ensures everyone's privacy when it is needed and helps speed up getting ready in the morning as well...

If I needed the same type of arrangement again would definitely book this Residence Inn---and will add it to the list of area hotels on the
wedding info sheet sent to guests...remember ours was the one on Tudor
Lane--not Arboretum...

• Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank Tx_native
Reviewed October 20, 2007

We stayed here for Valentine's. The hotel is gorgeous an the room was very comfortable. The bed was huge and soft, with a lot of pillows and a feather comforter. The bathroom was nice and very well equipped. I liked the location too, very close to Arboretum so you can just walk and a short drive to downtown or Zilker.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KandyKane056
Reviewed August 4, 2007

Great place for weekend with family. My kids and I went to Austin to visit family last weekend and we loved it! Service was great and my kids loved the two pools and the glass elevators into the atrium! I'll be back for sure!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Babs5044
Reviewed July 11, 2007

Every time we go to Austin we stay here! Since I just discovered this site recently I felt compelled to write about my experiences at this wonderful place! So this review basically encompasses several experiences that I have had at this hotel over the years..

My family and I have been staying here for years..every time we go to Austin we try to book a stay here!

First off the location is top notch...NW Austin at the Arboretum...plenty of restaurants and upscale shopping! The hotel is surrounded with fountains...plenty of shopping and a nice lake at the bottom of the hill connected to a nice hiking trail!

The atrium lobby is absolutely beautiful and the first time I saw it I was blown away! The restaurant and breakfast buffet are superb and of the many times we have been at this property customer service has always been top notch! Several times in the past we were often upgraded to more expensive rooms for various reasons and when they run their weekend specials you can often get fabulous deals! I'm sure with sites like priceline.com & hotwire.com this hotel can be had at a great rate!!

The indoor and outdoor pools are very spacious and you can ride an elevator down directly to the pool area...

If you're meeting friends who live in Austin there are plenty of sitting areas down in the lobby where you can chat and visit in style!

The shopping is fabulous and the choice of restaurants in the area is mind boggling! If you like Austin as a getaway you can't go wrong staying here! Easy to get anywhere in Austin and surrounding areas...I remember one weekend we took a day trip to Fredericksburg and came back to our wonderfully peaceful suite in the evening!

A great value and a super location!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank trek1500
Reviewed June 21, 2007

We held a conference at this hotel in Mid-June. This hotel is beautiful inside with a large atrium and marble floors. There is a trendy coffee kiosk in the middle of the lobby and a beautiful restaurant onsite (try the shrimp and lobster salad for $12 - yum).
Front desk is nice and courteous and they upgraded me to an executive room, which turned out to be two rooms (one with a TV, desk and refridgerator) with the bathroom and closet in between.
Amenities were nice. There was a waffleweave robe and some lemon grass toiletries in the bath.Water pressure was great and towels were plush. The best thing was the bed - absolutely heaven with six or seven pillows. The leather chair and ottoman was comfy. My only complaints are the price ($228) and the noise level, which started as early as 6:30am. The walls must be very thin. I could hear doors slamming, children crying and shower noise. And no wireless connection, which is a crime in tech-savvy Austin. Free parking is great and the area is good - nice shops just across the street. Be warned that this hotel is a good 30 minutes from the airport and you will need a car to go anywhere else in Austin.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Corgimom
Reviewed April 19, 2007

The best thing about the hotel is the staff. All very nice and well mannered. The lobby and court yard are beautiful but made it VERY noisy for those who had interior rooms over the court yard. There were a couple conventions in the hotel and the bar area is in the courtyard. The hotel also allows pets. My neighbor had a dog that yipped off and on for two nights every time someone walked down the hall. The room I was provided was a handicapped room and larger than others. The closet, however, was too small for the hangers provided by the hotel and for those I brought so all clothing had to be hung diagonally. The closet doors would jam on them so the doors could not be easily closed. There are no safes in the rooms for computers or jewerly so if traveling with a computer bring a lock. No refrigerator or mini-bar in the room either. Definitely not a premier hotel. Marriott has a No Smoking policy and if you smoke bring an umbrella. Smoking on the property is only allowed in specific outdoor areas that are not protected from rain. This is great for the non-smokers but really lousy if you're traveling with smokers. I would not stay here again if I had a choice. Had to stay for here for business.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business