“Slow service”

Renaissance Austin Hotel
Ranked #57 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed April 21, 2011

The service was slow in checking in, getting food, getting directions, and checking out. It was not slow because of lines, but because of disorganization.

I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Austin Hotel

Reviewed April 2, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights while on a business trip to Austin.
Check-in was quick and easy. I arrived late at night (10:45) and asked what time the restaurants would be open until. I was told 11pm, so I quickly left my bags with Customer Services and went to grab a bite to eat at the Bar where the staff was very friendly.

Upon checking into my room i immediately noticed the distinct smell of burnt tobacco and went to open a window. Being on the inside of the hotel naturally means the windows do not open. I called the front desk to ask for a different room and they promptly offered me a larger room facing outdoors but with a queen murphy bed (a wall bed). The original room i had was a King, but i guess all of the King rooms have windows to the central indoor atrium. I reluctantly accepted thinking i'd at least be able to open the windows to the outside.

So i get to my new room, it's big with a conference table in a separate "living room". Which is great, but as a solo traveller had very little use for all the extra space. The windows did not open.

The murphy bed was fairly uncomfortable and there was a bunch of pamphlets and other random garbage behind the bed. The towels did not seem to get replaced from day to day. The linens and pillows were nice and soft however.

The wireless internet costs 13$ per 24hr access, which is highway robbery if you ask me. I ended up spending over 50$ just to check my emails and browse a bit of internet. Also the "business centre" in the lobby charges 2$ per printed page and by the minute internet access.

I went to order room service one night, but the menu offerings were not appealing enough and had an additional 20% service charge for room service! Most restaurants in the area close at around 8 or 9pm.

The bar has decent food, a great bartender and good drinks; Amber Dos XX were on special for 3$.

The outdoor pool and area is decent but was very dirty with pollen and various other plant matter due to the landscapers using leaf blowers in the parking lot all day.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CLavigne
Reviewed March 16, 2011

We had to change rooms 3 times before we could find a workable WIFI signal and that cost us $12.95 a day, per computer. Even the staff told us that the internet was terrible and that corporate did not take the problem seriously. We also lost power a couple times during our stay, which was unrelated to our internet issues, but just made it worse. The hotel is huge, cavernous and cold. Would be great for a wedding, but not for business.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2011

I recently stayed at The Renaissance Hotel at the Arboretum in Austin, TX, and would like to share my experience with you. Due to a change in my travel, I arrived at check-in an hour early. I had planned to bide my time in the hotel bar, but the bar was not open yet despite that an event of some sort was happening in the atrium and that it was Friday. Regardless if the day of the week, I would think your bar would be open by 11 or noon. I thought wrong.
After going shopping for new boots and a new tungsten ring, I was furthered inconvenienced by having to park my car several rows away from the hotel entrance because valet parking took up so much room. I did not earn the wealth I have by superfluously using an expensive service like your valet parking. Mind you, I will pay a reasonable price for valet service. However, yours seemed to be exceedingly costly.
Next, the sink in the bathroom of my room did not hold water when I used the stopper. This made shaving take a bit longer and wasted water, as I was having to either refill the water to the level I needed or rinse my razor each time using the spigot.
Another surprising situation I encountered was having to pay $13 for one day of Internet service. I expected a hotel of the caliber of The Renaissance to include wireless in the room rate. In the early days of wireless Internet, I understood hotels charging for the service because no standard had been set. Surely, the marginal cost of providing this service is next to $0, i.e. your maintenance costs are minimal. Currently, any major hotel and even all the B&Bs I have stayed in offer free wireless service. I pay about $40 for a month of high speed Internet service at home and will not pay one-third of that for less than three percent of the time, i.e. one day’s worth at your hotel. That equates to $388 a month for internet service. I understand you have customers who will pay for this service. I will not. Furthermore, this inconvenience was more than simply the fee. If I wanted a connection without having to pay your exorbitant fee, I would have to travel to a nearby coffee house or restaurant, which is unacceptable.
Lastly, I was awoken at 6:30 the morning of my checkout by loud music coming from the atrium. What is the need for the music, and how loud does that music need to be? I don’t think it needs to be, nor should it be, heard on the eighth floor, which is where my room was. I called the front desk to inquire about it and was told it would be turned down. Fifteen minutes later it had not been turned down, and I had to resort to a white noise generation application on my phone and turning the air conditioning lower in the room in order to drown out the obnoxious music wafting from the atrium.
Separately, each of these incidents might be excusable or minimally annoying. Combined, they made for a very poor stay at The Renaissance. I would appreciate an explanation for each item mentioned, and I hope your other guests had a better stay than I.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank dburatti
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Just got back from a conference held in this hotel. As far as the conference setup-- great. Huge rooms, plenty of space, sound systems worked well, no complaints there.

Hotel staff was exceptionally friendly. They greeted us every time we entered or exited the hotel. Every. Time.

Hotel room was just OK. Bathrooms have those god-awful rainfall shower heads. I have naturally-curly, thick hair and washing it under one of those things is an exercise in futility. I want a fire hose, I guess. The bathroom itself is in need of updating but was spotless and sparking-clean. Aveda bath products were also a nice touch.

My room was #229 and had two beds, a small "living" area, and two flat-screen TVs. Those were nice. Good, scenic view of the hill country from the window. Thermostat worked fine.

Complaints: THIS HOTEL DOES NOT HAVE FREE WI-FI!! How in the world is that even possible in 2011. The Wi-Fi charge is $12.95 for 24 hours. It strikes me as odd when a Holiday Inn has free Wi-Fi but an "upscale" hotel does not. There is a Starbucks-like cafe in the atrium of the hotel with computers that anyone can use, but if you're traveling on business, of course you will have your own laptop and why would you want to use a different computer than your own? Renaissance-- please join the 21st century.

The bed was hard as a rock and the pillows suck. My colleagues said the same thing about their beds and pillows so I know it was not just my room. Sheets were clean and the bed was clean, but quite uncomfortable.

The hotel is located in the Arboretum area, which is full of shops, restaurants, and entertainment. Very easy to get to from 183N. I know I'll stay here again because of conferences, but I would never stay here for personal travel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 11, 2011

I stayed at the Renaissance in Feb 2010 and my conference returned to this location this year, so I have the opportunity to compare my impressions of this hotel. I liked it last year; how does it hold up a year later?

I'm happy to report I enjoyed the hotel just as much this year. I have to quit traveling in February, though, since Austin was experiencing bitter cold and high winds (like the rest of the nation.) The grounds of the hotel really look like they would be fun to explore but it simply was not fun to be outside this trip.

Service continues to be a highpoint for me, and I love how I was treated by hotel staff. I had a problem with the in-room Wi-Fi service (still $12.95 per day unfortunately) and suspected it was my laptop and not the hotel. The front desk connected me with their tech support who walked me through the changes needed to get me up and running. I was able to get a lot of work done as a result of their helpfulness.

I ate one late meal delivered through room service - delicious, like last year. I also requested hot water and a coffee cup to mix a special diet breakfast drink each morning and they were great about getting that to me quickly (and at no charge.) The in-room coffee maker does not have a pitcher; it uses packets to create coffee.

The rooms were clean and quiet, and I enjoyed exceptional sleep in a most comfortable bed. This was appreciated as I was fighting a nasty cold and sleeping well helped me recover.

I have difficulty with directions driving around and think I just about have this location figured out. Although far from downtown Austin it is convenient to major arteries that can get you where you want to go, and close to the Domain shopping area that is really fun to explore.

Hoping for better weather, I look forward to my next stay at the Renaissance!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Rico3201
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Beautiful hotel and property grounds. Check in was quick and easy and customer service received from all was great! The room was larger than most, very clean, comfortable pillowtop bed with down comforter and pillows. I knew the hotel had an indoor pool and fitness room which were both very nice. It was a wonderful surprise that it also has a very nice dry sauna and
jacuzzi. I stayed a couple of nights over New Years weekend. It's surrounded by a variety of stores, specialty shops and just about any type of restaurant you can think of from fast food to fine dining. I would definitely stay at this hotel
again.