“Tired, but ok for just one night”

Crowne Plaza Austin
Ranked #26 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Tired, but ok for just one night”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed for just the one night and were glad we didn't stay for longer. Front desk staff very disinterested when we checked in - conversed the minimum needed.

All public areas were very dated, looks like it was last refreshed in the 1980's.

Room was a good size and the bed really comfortable. Sink separate from the bath and toilet, probably because the bath section was too small to fit the sink too. Worked ok for us.

Hotel has potential, just needs a major refresh as it is very tired indeed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear NottsPanther75,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I am really pleased that you found the bed comfortable. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had with the unsatisfactory service you received from the desk staff. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Macks Creek, Missouri
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We just had a wonderful stay on the Executive Floor (7th) of the Crowne Plaza Hotel! Everything was clean and neat and every one was so friendly and helpful.
The Executive Lounge was wonderful and had two of the sweetest hostesses ever, Wanda Howell in the morning and Alison in the evening. They were polite and helpful and great on conversation. Miguel, the head over the restaurants, was also wonderful to us. We will stay again if we ever get the opportunity!

Room Tip: 7th floor executive. Great view, Executive lounge in the morning and the evening. (Except weekends)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Randy B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I'll happily pass on your comments to both Wanda and Alison. They work very hard at making sure our guests have everything they need to have a successful stay. We hope you will visit us again, soon. Thank you again.

Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed November 16, 2013

The hotel shuttle made me wait for an hour in the night cold air, then had to wait again for airline pilots to arrive, the hotel gave me a smoking room on the first floor which gave me a migraine headache and I couldn't sleep due to my smoke allergies. The following day I had allergic reactions all day. The free room wi-fi was slower than molasses so I used my my own broadband card and the room was also noisy, smelly and dirty. It's the worst IHG property experience I've had to date and I travel over 100,000 miles annually. I complained to the IHG Elite customer service group who were very responsive, apologetic and attentive. Not surprisingly the Crowne Plaza Austin management didn't follow through on any of the follow up that IHG said they would do.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Randy B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations for all our hotel guests and your comments are very important to us. We apologize for the oversight of our Housekeeping and Driver teams with regards to your stated concerns. Kindly be assured that we will treat this matter seriously. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you a more positive stay. Feel free to contact me directly if there are other concerns you may have. My direct number is 512-371-5249.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This hotel is located perhaps 10 minutes from all the downtown attractions, which isn't bad considering the price. Older hotel in 3 star category. Don't expect the Ritz or the Omni. I would likely stay again if it was the only thing available, but I suggest looking elsewhere. When I checked in, the front desk agents were talking negatively about other guests out in the open... I'd expect more from a finer hotel. Then again, I did go pretty cheap for this trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your candid comments. I can assure you we take your review seriously and we are continually working on ways to make our hotel the best. I apologize for our Front Office staff's lack of professionalism, The situation you described is definitely not typical behavior. I hope you will consider visiting us again. I can assure you we will find a way to meet your expectations.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I had multiple wonderful experiences on my stay at the Crowne Plaza. The van driver who picked me up from the airport, Cruz, could work as a tour guide/city ambassador. He was a friendly, flowing font of information about Austin (this was my first visit to Austin), and was a wonderful introduction both to Austinians (is that a word?) and the Crowne Plaza. My 5th floor room was clean, quiet, and I had a great night's sleep. The concierge was helpful with a few questions I asked. I left behind a pair of sunglasses, and Armando couldn't have been more helpful in securing them and mailing them to me -- postage paid. Thanks, Armando -- you're great! My only constructive suggestion: the computers in the Business Center are in serious need of an upgrade.

I'd definitely stay again at the Crowne Plaza. You folks 'get' what excellent customer service is about. Ze'ev Smason -- St. Louis, MO

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so glad that we were able to meet your expectations and that Cruz and Armando provided you great guest service. We also appreciate your suggestion and will take it under advisement. We hope you will continue to choose the Crowne Plaza Austin whenever you are in town.

Houston
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We booked 2 rooms in Crowne Plaza last month. One of the rooms was smelling real bad, Damp. It started raining heavily. Water started seeping in through the windows. After repeated complaints over the phone, nobody responded. One of my friend found a house Lizard inside, so no proper pest control. Went down, asked for the Manager. He told us that he will change the room immediately and gave us coupons for free breakfast. The new room was better. Now comes the best part, while we were about to head out to city. The leaking room was immediately given to another old couple (Even without changing the sheets). How could they do it knowing the fact the room had water seepage and other issues. This is something which is unacceptable. I will never stay with Crowne Plaza again, anywhere! My experience with the same is growing Bad to worse!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Randy B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Your review was very surprising to me. We strive to provide only the very best service to our guests and it appears we failed to do that for you. The incident you described is not typical of our Front Office and I assure you I will speak with the associates involved immediately. I would ask that on your next stay, if you have the time, I would like to speak with you in person and hopefully address any other concerns you may have, or you may call me at 512-371-5249. I am sure that your next stay, and all other stays after that, will not only meet but exceed your expectations. Thank you.

Dfw
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed here this past weekend for 1 night during a short trip to Austin. The hotel is located about 15 minutes from downtown Austin so I would say far if that is where you are wanting to spend your time. The staff was very nice and friendly and definitely checked in with us after we made it to our rooms to make sure that everythingwas to our satisfaction. The hotel itself could use a little renovation to freshen it's image since I know most Crowne Plazas as currently being renovated. I would stay again but only for a short trip if I find a good rate.

Room Tip: There are guest rooms on the 1st floor so it's convenient if you dont want to be waiting on the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us and leaving feedback. We are pleased our friendly staff took great care of you. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to let us serve you. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask.