“Average to Below Average Stay”

Crowne Plaza Austin
Ranked #28 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Houston, TX
“Average to Below Average Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I'm not sure I would stay here again. I'll start with the good...

The staff here were all very nice and accommodating. As an example, I had some friends meeting me at the hotel around dinner time and they had children with them. The regular dining room in the restaurant was closed for some reason - but the tables were all set. We were sent to eat in the lounge. But the lounge was crowded and it was quite "loungy" and really not a good place for children. So we asked if we could be serviced in the empty restaurant next door - they were happy to do so. My friends and I really had a private dining experience that worked better for their children.

My main problem was with the room. The hard surfaces of the room were clean. And although it was not the "chic"-est of rooms, that was not my main concern. I like cleanliness. And the room was clean. However, the sheets and the towels were disgusting. The towels were dingy and there were lots of stains. The sheets were also very dingy. There were stains on sheets and on the bedspread. I took one bedspread and just put it on the floor - there was no way I was sleeping with that. Despite the room being clean, I was pretty put off by the sheets and the towels. I'm attaching pictures of just some of the many stains I saw that were very visible. One set of stains on the sheets were bright orange (the pictures don't do it justice). Personally, my linens at home don't look like this - I don't expect to pay to stay at a place with linens like this.

I complained to the front desk and she provided a free drink, along with a new, bright blanket. But a free drink really didn't make me want to hop between those sheets. Also, I requested several extra sets of towels - and even in doing that, I rarely found a bright, white towel free of old stains.

Another issue I had - the toilet was a strange contraption. It spit out so much water I thought it was a bidet too. Instead of just having water flow down the bowl from the top of the rim into the bowl, one big, thick stream of water went into an upward trajectory/arc every time you flushed (using these flush buttons on top of the toilet), splashing water everywhere each time you flushed. Weird. And scary the first time you flush. And certainly not my preference.

And the water in the shower didn't get that hot. It was strange. One night it vacillated between lukewarm, cool and somewhat hot. The next night it was a little better - but never as hot as I prefer. (And I had it as hot as it would go) And the bathroom is teeny tiny.

Lastly, I didn't see an easy option for me to get the sheets changed the next day. I was running out to do my work, so I forgot to ask to get the sheets changed. And I was worried they might look worse than what was on there already. And overall, when I pay to stay at a hotel, I feel like I shouldn't have to take so much time out of my real purpose for being there to point out stains on sheets that can easily be seen. It would have been nice if there were a card I could put on my bed to indicate that I wanted the sheets changed, but there was nothing.

So, not sure I would do this one again... but I'm sure this will work for some who don't care about stained towels and sheets. Normally, I would rate this as Poor. But since the staff was so nice, I moved the rating to Average.

3 Thank Malie
Randy B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Let me apologize for our failing to meet your expectations during your recent stay at our hotel. I have notified my Executive Housekeeper and have sent him a copy of your review, including the pictures. I can tell you that what you experienced is not typical of our hotel. I urge you to give us another chance at serving you. We appreciate your comments and I can assure you we'll work very hard at correcting them. Feel free to contact me if your have other concerns or suggestions.

Randy Brunnemann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

rudy the shuttle guy' is the best guy ever to help you with any transportation or with any questions you may have he was very very helpful person he needs a 5 star" ,overall we were very satisfied with the stay, the only thing is when you arrive at the motel the appearance of the lobby was a definate 3 star rating , but the room was not, i would give the room a no more than a 2 star rating,
Betty , from Alberta, canada'

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank splashes
Randy B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your review of our property. We hope, on your next stay, we are able to change your mind on our rooms. Perhaps you will forward me your suggestions on what we could do to increase your rating. As for Rudy, I will pass on your comments to him. He takes great pride in providing the highest level of service to all our guests. I look forward to hearing from you soon and we all look forward to your next visit to our hotel. Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Austin.

Texarkana, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Kevin at the front desk was very efficient. The bell captain was very helpful. On the 7th floor in the executive room Wanda and the young lady were very helpful and pleasant. The Mexican buffet was very good in the downstairs restaurant where we again saw Wanda and all staff were very courteous..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of our hotel. Kevin and Wanda are two of our very best when it comes to providing the highest level of guest service and I'm very pleased they performed at that level for you. I'll pass on your comments regarding the buffet to the Executive Chef. He'll be happy to hear them. We all hope you will return to our hotel soon. Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Austin.

Texarkana, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Kevin and Marquise were just great, from the time I walked in to check in they were attentive, they knew what and how my paperwork should be filled out and they gave service with a smile and when I checked out they made sure my paperwork was in order.it was very nice to see two young me with good character. They are keepers.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
I am very pleased to hear that Kevin and Marquise were able to make your stay with us successful. They continually strive to provide the best service possible and your review indicates that they succeeded. Thank you for your review. I will post and share it will all our associates. We hope you will continue to choose the Crowne Plaza Austin.

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

It was a good experience staying at crowne plaza, austin. The breakfst was really good. And their arrangements for nearby pick and drop is highly efficient. The drivers were kind and helpful. Especially Darry, Rudy, Paul were good friends and very helpful. The room was also good, except that there is no kitchen or atleast microwave.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. It's always nice to hear such positive things about our drivers. They work very hard at providing the highest level of guest service and I'm pleased to see them recognized. We do hope you will consider staying at our hotel on any future visits to Austin. We do provide microwaves upon request and we would be happy to make sure it's in your room on your return. Thank you again for your review and thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Austin.

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

In my opinion, this is the best hotel in Austin, TX. The entire staff did everything to make our stay at the Crowne Plaza confortable & enjoyable from arrival to departure. Roy B., bellman greeted us with a warm smile, "glad to see you again" and very helpful getting all luggage and other items to our room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Randy B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
We heartily agree with your opinion! We work hard to be the best by providing outstanding service to all our guests. Your group is wonderful to work with and we enjoy having you stay here every year. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. I will pass on your comments to Roy and will post your review for the rest of the staff. Thank you again for choosing the Crowne Plaza Austin.

Grand Prairie, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

When we arrived, Roy with Conceirge was right there. Very helpful from the moment we drove up. He was a very nice person that we saw everyday and was helpful every day. When we left Roy was right there to help with our bags and to make sure that we had a great time. Roy is one of the reasons that we enjoy coming back every year.

Room Tip: Conceirge is very helpful. The restaurant has very good servers and they are very nice to be around