“Big screen tv in lounge/bar area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Austin

Crowne Plaza Austin
Ranked #29 of 197 Hotels in Austin
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Big screen tv in lounge/bar area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

There needs to be a big screen tv where the couch is currently. It would make it a better experience and a better view angle for the whole bar and restaurant area. The service there was great and we really liked the $11 slider and beer sampler. Miguel and his team were very attentive to our parties needs and enjoyment. We also liked the complimentary toiletries as there are additional lotions and soaps that provided soothing and relaxing feeling to our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Randy B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and thank you for your suggestion. I will discuss both with our management staff. I will also pass on to Miguel and the entire Crossroads Bar staff your kind words. I hope you will continue to choose the Crowne Plaza Austin when you're in our town. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Randy Brunnemann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I travel a lot for work and had to stay at this Crowne Plaza for an entire week in early December.
This hotel's biggest flaw is that it is so far from everything. Austin is a great city, and whether you're there for business or pleasure, this is not the hotel for you. It's off of a major highway, and getting anywhere involves getting on or off of this highway, which is hellish in rush hour. There are no good restaurants nearby, just chain store, strip mall crap that are not at all indicative of Austin's thriving foodie culture.
Location aside, the hotel is in need of a renovation. The toilets are randomly very sophisticated, but the rest of the room seems trapped in the mid-90s. They do have fridges in every room, which was convenient. And they were reasonably clean. The staff is cordial, but not particularly helpful. The shuttle service is very nice, although the driver was curmudgeonly. I would hate to have to stay here again, however, due to the dated quality of the hotel and the distance from "real" Austin.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize we failed to meet your expectations. Perhaps if you're in Austin again you'll give us another opportunity. I'm certain we could change your mind. In any event, I hope you will continue choosing Crowne Plaza Hotels. Thank you.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I would just like to say thank you to the staff. Job well done to Tim, Dora, Kevin, Yolanda, Ebon (sp?),Miguel, Torri, Monica, Rebecca, Shonda, Rachel, and David the security guard, who was exceptional. I ended up extending my stay a week at a time and ended up staying there for over a month, Being at this hotel for a month certainly gave me the time to get to know some of the staff members, but it's because of the way I was taking care of, from start to finish, that I remember these names. The food was excellent, the rooms are very well kept, and the pleasant atmosphere was just as genuine with the cleaning staff. I will say that i have mixed feelings about the decor, but it's certainly not a deal breaker. Very professional, personable, and courteous staff. I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wow! I am really pleased that our staff performed at such high levels during your stay. I am pleased you would take the time to remember them and say such kind things about them. I'll make certain that I pass on your comments to each of them and will take great pride in posting your review for all to see. We all look forward to having you return to the Crowne Plaza Austin. Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel.

Caddo Mills, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have been traveling to Austin for business and have been staying at Crown Plaza for many years. I am always greeted at the front desk with a smile. The rooms are plenty big and most have nice flat screen TV's and small refrigerators. The restaurant manager is always smiling and the food is really good. They have the best home-made potato chips that are great with ranch dip. It is easy to join the priority club and then you get to go the executive level where they have beverages and appetizers for supper and is open at breakfast as well. Wanda is always smiling and singing in the mornings. It is a nice start before heading to meetings all day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I will pass on your comments to our staff in general and to Wanda in particular. She is one of our best when it comes to providing the type of service we strive to provide each and every one of our guests. We hope you will continue choosing the Crowne Plaza Austin. Thank you again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Crowne Plaza Austin is an exceptional hotel. It's a short 15-20 minute ride from the airport and in close proximity to downtown. I stay at this hotel multiple times a month and I'm always pleased. The hotel is clean, safe, and modern. The staff is always ready to assist with any needs that may arise. Tim, the Assistant Front Office Manager, is usually the person that greets me at the front desk. He has always gone above and beyond to ensure my stay is outstanding! I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Randy B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased that we have provided you the type of service our associates always strive to give. I will pass on your comments to Tim and the rest of our staff. We hope you will continue to choose the Crowne Plaza Hotel - Austin. Thank you again. We look forward to seeing your again soon!

San Jose
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

I understand other's issues with this place, but our experience was positive. Staff was friendly, airport shuttle was free even though it's a 20 minute or so drive. I like the 1960s architecture with the floor to ceiling windows in the rooms. Our room was stocked with toothpaste, toothbrush, shaving cream, and so on in addition to the usual toiletries (we managed to get a room on the executive floor). One negative was that the restaurant was closed Friday even though it was supposed to be open.

Room Tip: Seventh floor is the executive floor, and there's a lounge with free food Monday through Friday.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Randy B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you for your recent review. I'm pleased we were able to meet your expectations. I apologize if you were not informed that our Crossroads Bar serves the same menu as the restaurant. I urge you to try it during your next stay. I'm sure you'll find it will meet your expectations. I hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in Austin.

California, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in many hotels, most are good, so I was surprised that Crown Plaza was just ok. When we checked in everyone was nice. We placed our bags in the room, it smelled a little musty, but we were hungry so we left right away to have dinner. About 2 hours later we returned and I quickly realized that this was a smoking room, so I called the front desk and informed them that I had requested non-smoking, I was told that since I booked through a third- party ( hotels.com) they couldn't guarantee that type of room we received, but he agree to change my room. When I went to the front desk the assistant manager was less then pleased to have to change my room, he asked if we had used the room??? Huh? What do you mean "used the room"? Needless to say I will not be returning!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to report your concerns about the service we provided during your recent stay with us. I spoke with the Front Desk person who handled the situation. Obviously we didn't handled it as well as we could have. Rest assured that is not our typical response to guest issues. We will use your comments as a training point.

Thank you again for taking the time to report this to us. I hope the room you were moved to better met your expectations and I do hope you will consider staying with us again and give us the opportunity to show you what we can really do.. Please feel free to contact me personally if you would like to report any other issues. I can assure you that we will continually strive to meet and exceed all your expectations during each and every future stay.