“Consistent and Reliable”

Crowne Plaza Austin
Ranked #22 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I have stayed here multiple times for multiple nights on the last year for business. I have found it to be very consistent and reliable. The Crowne is not going to "wow" you but it won't surprise you either. Very few complaints and the internet service is above average for speed in the evenings.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed November 14, 2011

At $62 per night on Hotwire there's not much to complain about here. The location is north of downtown on the corner of 2222 and I 35 making it a 7-10 minute cab ride back downtown. The room that was assigned to us was comfortable and the linens and duvet are intended to replicate Westin quality and they came close. They should have gone all the way with the bedding upgrade because the pillows are the smallest I've ever seen in our travels. Despite the longest check in we have experienced in many years the staff was extremely friendly, courteous and accommodating taking us downtown one night in the shuttle. The fitness center is adequate but the treadmills (especially one) are seriously overdue for replacement. The pool could be the big amenity for this property but is years beyond when it should have been remodeled. You will be disappointed if you pay rack rate for this property but otherwise it gets a solid B from me.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2011

The short version: The hotel was clean, a little outdated, the bed was comfortable, I loved the pillows, breakfast was good, and the service was… hit-or-miss. I will say that the morning restaurant team was awesome, very accommodating!
The one thing that stood out to me was the staff response to the fire. Or non-fire. I don’t know which it was, because the hotel staff never told us. I was in the restaurant one night when the fire alarms started going. None of the staff I saw seemed to know what to do. The hostess looked confused. She was saying something about checking with her manager about if we should leave. Some people started leaving, and others stayed. When a guest smelled smoke, I decided to go outside. Sure enough, I smelled it too when I walked by where she was standing. I would guess about 200 guests came outside too, but it seemed like everyone was on their own. If the hotel has a fire plan, the employees sure don’t know it! They didn’t seem concerned with getting people out. Some people said they called down from their rooms to ask about evacuating, but they were told they could stay (even after some of them smelled smoke!) There were some guests who stayed in their rooms and watched, even after the fire trucks and ambulances showed up. I even saw a couple leaving the hotel altogether. They said they didn’t feel safe. There were NO hotel employees outside that I could see (and I wandered around, since we were out there a while!) We stood around outside for about 45 minutes while the firemen did their thing. After a while, a fireman let some of us go back in, depending on where our rooms were. Another guest told me that he thought the fire was in a 2nd floor room, but the hotel staff never told us what actually happened. About an hour after getting back to my room, I got a knock at the door – a hotel staff person was asking if I made it back to my room ok. Gee, thanks for the concern…? Later on in the week they weren’t able to print receipts because their server was flooded from the sprinklers, which is understandable, but they were just plain rude about it. They acted like you were annoying them if you asked about it. There was no “we apologize for the inconvenience, we can contact you as soon as we get back up and running” etc. Literally, people were trying to check out and leave town, and they were told “We have no way for you to pay.” No explanation, no alternative, no further instructions. It seems like management really needs to get their staff back into training (except the breakfast crew!) The whole fire thing was handled very badly, and I don’t think they lived up to the star rating here.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

The service there was wonderful and it was quite. The suite I was in had a living room with a missing tv. I know the tv was missing because the wires were hanging out were a tv had once been. There was a tv in the bed room, although it seems to defeat the reason of having a living room. The bed was hard and the free internet was so weak I had to use my own connections. Other than these things it was an okay place to stay. I doubt I will stay there again, I'm glad I didn't pay full price for that room.

Room Tip: Corner suites may be to blame for weak internet or that could just be the hotel's free internet...
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Let me preface my review by stating I was in an interesting situation during my stay at the Crowne Plaza.

I traveled to Austin on business and booked a room for 3 nights at the Crowne Plaza because my company had a corporate rate. I had a later flight so I drove straight to dinner and didn't bother checking in right away. After dinner, I pulled into the parking lot to see guests in the parking lot and fire alarms going off. A few minutes later 20+ fire/emergency vehicles were in the parking lot dealing with a small fire in a room on the second floor. Needless to say, there was confusion abound.

After some time, they allowed people who were checked in on the third floor and above to return to the their rooms as they were unaffected. People on second floor on the side of the hotel with the fire were forced to go to the ballroom as they had to wait and see if/when they can access their rooms. There was water damage to the servers as well. As a result, because I hadn't checked in, I was pushed that way as well. The staff appeared to be in chaos not knowing how to handle the situation. There was one member of the front desk staff who was outright rude when I tried to ask questions about checking in. He seemed to be annoyed that I was interrupting his socialization with other guests. Incidentally, that socialization including making very inappropriate comments with profane language and stating that he didn't care about certain other guests' needs ( I assume I was included ).

After realizing there was going to be an ordeal where I would unlikely be able to check in and not be helped by staff, I decided to go to a hotel half a block away. Unfortunately that hotel was fully booked for the following 2 nights, so after the first night, I returned to the Crowne as they would have to honor the rest of my reservation. I came back to controlled chaos the following morning. The general manager was at the front desk and clearly tired after a long night. Their computer system was still down and they were handling all check ins/outs by paper and checking what rooms were available by manually going in room by room.

In the evening, I was finally able to check in and get to a room. The room itself was small and very dated. This was especially apparent because I had stayed at another hotel the night before. The furniture was worn and had physical damage (knicks, dents, etc). Wall plugs were not easily accessible. The bed was half way decent, but the pillows were lumpy. The staff stated they would not provide a different set of pillows. The bathroom was very cramped and it was hard to get in and out of the shower without maneuvering around the toilet.

There was one (and only one) plus to the hotel: there was a single employee at the hotel that was great. I had dinner at the hotel bar/grill and the young lady who was bartending that night was phenomenal. She made sure to keep checking in on me and making sure I was satisfied with my meal and drink. She was the only staff member that was actually happy to help me.

Aside from the fantastic bartender, my stay at the Crowne was less than pleasing. Even forgiving them for the chaos caused by the fire, the staff was rude, the rooms were dated and uncomfortable. Knowing there is a better option 1 block away, I can't see myself going back.

1  Thank basketkase999
Reviewed November 9, 2011

The hotel experience was great. The room was great and clean. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to ensure that I enjoyed my stay. Wanda is a god send - very bubbly and cheerful (at 6:00AM too!). Great experience overall!

Reviewed November 9, 2011

When we arrived at the hotel we thought it seemed nice enough. But immediately we encountered a highly incompetent front desk clerk. I had reserved our rooms online and I thought I was getting a pretty good deal with one of those pay before you see which hotel it is deals. Well I asked the front desk clerk to make sure that my fiance and I were in a KING bedroom. He said that there weren't any left and that we were going to be in a FULL room. So we sighed, got our keys and went up to the room. FIRST MAJOR ERROR: We were trying to get into our room but our keys weren't working... sure enough after lugging everything back downstairs, the front desk guy laughed it off that he had given us the wrong keys and had sent us to an occupied room. (The poor person in that room must have been scared) We got our new keys and headed up to our room. When we walked in I immediately noticed the room was an adjoining room and it was noisy. Also the room was a handicap room, meaning the shower nozzle was at about 5'4 and it the water barely flowed out. Also the floor in the bathroom was sticky, ew. We asked the front desk guy again if there was anything else, as the full bed was very tiny for the two of us (luckily we are small enough to fit, but it was very restricted). The guy told us to come down the next morning and ask again as there was nothing. Oh, also we had checked a smoking room, but the smell was WAY too strong, so that first night we stuck with the full/handicap room. I barely slept a wink that night. The next day we had to run lots of errands and didn't get back until the evening. We went immediately to the front desk and asked the same guy if any rooms had become available. He snapped at me, "did you come back in the morning?!" and I told him I hadn't had a chance... he told me there were no new rooms. Well another thing at this point was that there were 400 new college kids (Texas Tech Band) all checking in. We were getting desperate. A woman up front asked us if she could help us... we told her that we were very uncomfortable in our room. She then had us look at some more smoking rooms and said they weren't as bad (smell wise). So we checked them out, they were loud and still smelled. The woman then went up to the front desk (we found out she was the manager) and SOMEHOW got us a KING non-smoking bedroom. We were relieved but also a little shocked that it was around that whole time and that we just hadn't complained enough. When we went to get our stuff out of our first room, we were even more thankful that we were getting a new room. Some college kids had slid a note under our door, trying to get to know us... very uncomfortable. It was EXTREMELY loud on that floor. SO we went up to our new room (5th floor) and it was WAY better. The floor was quiet and our room was nice and spacious and NOT an adjoining room. Thank goodness, as we were getting grumpy. The next 2 nights were a lot better than the first. When we checked out, it was the SAME incompetent rude guy at the front. Once we got home we realized that the guy had charged both my fiance's credit card as well as mine... we had to then CALL him and make sure he fixed it. My WORST hotel experience yet overall. I definitely don't recommend going to this hotel. Sure the location was good, the hotel seemed clean enough... but the service was SO poor that I wouldn't even bother. Not only was the main guy very rude, but also his co-worker was also very rude to us... Oh and if you order room service, be ready for them to call your room right after you get your food, every time.

Room Tip: Make sure that you don't get stuck with a handicap room by asking well in advance. Also make su...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

Shina S,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Austin, TX Hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Austin.

Ben J