“Event Assistance”

Crowne Plaza Austin
Ranked #22 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I recently held registration for an event at this property. The staff there were extremely helpful and friendly. Everything went quite smoothly thanks to their efficiency. In particular, Roy, the concierge/driver, and Edalma, our contact for the event went over and above in their assistance. I was quite satisfied!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,294)

Reviewed October 12, 2011

Gary greeted me and my husband and assisted us with our check in. He was very pleasent to talk to. He assisted with all our needs. It's really nice to know we can get good customer service when you enter a hotel. Great Job GARY

Reviewed October 10, 2011

Through my work I often stay at the Crown Plaza in Austin. Wanda in Food Sevices at the Executive Lounge is always courteous and helpful.

Reviewed October 9, 2011

I always try to stay at this hotel as it is always comfortable with friendly service to accomodate my requests. It is within walking distance of some very good restaurants if you choose or just use the excellent full service restaurant and bar. Gary at the Hotel Desk and Wanda in Food services at the Executive Lounge were both very courteous and helpful. Always a pleasure to stay at this hotel.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

I was referred t the Crowne Plaza by a Friend and was excited with my accomodations,but wait the next day disaster hit all week.I was in the Bar checking my email ,I finished and told the Mgr himself I was taking my laptop to my room and I would be right back to eat dinner.
by the time i got to my room my phone was ringing and the MGR said I left and dint pay my tab,i told him I was comin right back and was going to eat,what a jerk this person was.Then some customer namedafter Grover Cleveland was whispering sweet nothings in the pregnant Bar Maids ear and He looked at me and toldme to mind my own business,I wasnt doing anything just waitin on a drink soda with my meal ,this guy got all irrate ??OK,i'm ready to leave this property,,but not before I was refused Breakfast when I had a Platinum PC card that entitles me to free breakfast,Malcolm the F&B MGR fixed that,Thank You Malcolm.Then at check out there was only 1 person athe the front desk and she informed me she was the best and she was a Manager (Pat Vaughan)she was trying to check out 3 people at a time and messed up all of our folio's,got my PC number wrong and handed me the guy besie me his receipt,its sad cause this is a nice place and could be a grea stay,but not with the Employees workin there now,Malcolm Leslie is the only Good Manager at this Hotel.

Room Tip: high floors are quieter
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2011

My husband and I booked this property on Hotwire at a ridiculously how rate, but when we checked in Gary and Astrid at the front desk made us feel like VIP's. Our Hotwire rate had us in a room with two doubles, when when I mentioned to Gary and Astrid how much my husband and I enjoyed sharing a king bed, they immediately upgraded us to a club floor king room, which was huge, had a great bathroom and a wonderful view. They offered us cookies, a coupon for a free drink at the bar, and were genuinely sweet, funny and very efficient. One little thing in the room that I found delightful was the drape clips to make sure that we could have complete darkness. We also discovered a sleep kit on our bed, containing lavender spray, a sleep mask and ear plugs. We would definitely stay at the Crowne Plaza again, and we're looking forward to seeing Gary and Astrid when we do!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Upon entering our room we noticed the TV remote not working and no signature Crowne Plaza sleep package (lavender spray, mask, ear plugs, sleeping CD, etc.) that's supposed to be in every Crowne Plaza room. When maintainence arrived, he discovered that the TV itself was broken and stated "It's just the volume control that's broke but I'm sure you don't mind getting up to change the volume control" and of course, yes we did mind so he stated that he'd need to replace the entire TV. He did so and it worked fine. But his comment about wanting to leave the volume control broken during our entire stay rather than fix it in the first place didn't sit well.

Our room was way too small for a king bed. It's so small that one side has to be up against the wall so there was no nightstand on my side of the bed and left almost no room to get in and out of bed on that side.

In addition, the coffee maker was broken and the ice machine on our floor broke on Sunday and was still broken when we checked out on Monday. The vents in the hallway were very dirty and we found a roach crawling on the ceiling in the hallway.

The lounge staff was excellent and housekeeping did a good job as well and that's the best thing I can say about our experience at this property.

The big problem was saturday night when we returned from dinner to find a completely full parking lot with absolutely no place to park. It was ACL weekend so the hotel was already sold out friday night when we checked in but there still was parking available at that time. The problem was the fact that they allowed a very large party to book some dance event on Saturday night and this group completely took over the parking lot.

We circled for over 15 minutes while the two staff at the door watched us drive past them several times while they both remained leaning on the podium at the entrance with their hands on their chins. We finally stopped in front of them at the entrance and asked them where we should park. One of them stated "There's a large group here tonight and you're just going to have to keep circling until you find a spot." to which I replied "Yes but we are guests who paid for a room here and how many of these people are parked here but not actually staying at this hotel?" He then stated "Well there's nothing I can do about that." Not acceptable.

We parked the car at the entrance and my partner walked to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. When he told her what happened outside she just kept apologizing and asking who said that to us.

The manager then asked the man working with her at the front desk to move his car to which he stated "What?" and looked at her like she was insane for asking him to do such a thing. She then repeated the request and followed it up with "I've already had to move my car for another guest so you need to move your car for them." He stood there hesitating for a moment, then came up with the statement of "Well.....uh...... I don't have my car here, I didn't even drive tonight". If that were true, then why didn't he say so in the first place instead of hesitating and looking at her funny right in front of us when she first asked him? His story about not having his car parked there that night was an obvious afterthought.

She then instructed another employee working in the back to move her car to which she graciously complied. She moved her car to the front entrance and left it there which made us wonder why the employees at the front door didn't offer to let us park there in the first place instead of making that poor employee get up and move her car?

In her defense, the evening manager did her best to remedy the parking situation. It was not her fault that someone else booked a large party during ACL weekend and that she had to work with an immature young man with poor customer service skills at the desk with an attitude that he most certainly is not going to move his car for anyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

ScottTX,

Thank You for writing a review about your recent stay with us.
We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Crowne Plaza around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations.
We take all reviews positive and negative very serious, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ben J