“Never stayed at a Crowne Plaza before, and never will again.”

Crowne Plaza Austin
Ranked #24 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed March 16, 2011

First, I'm not a picky traveler. Been to everything from a Motel 6 to the Waldorf=Astoria, and these properties have always been fine for what they offered, and based on what they were supposed to deliver. This one, not so much.

Room service delivered salmon atop field greens that were less field-y and more brown-edged iceberg lettuce-y. The bottled water I had ordered had apparently been dropped during its journey to me, and was delivered with carpet lint and a hairball stuck to its damp exterior. (Hoping I wasn't charged extra for the hairball.) Reco to the staff: next time, at least wipe it off if you knew it fell off the room service tray/cart.

Bathrooms are tiny, lighting is like living in a terrarium. Great for reptiles, anyone with vision issues or men, not for people prone to migraines or women who wish to apply any degree of makeup.

Anywho, this first room -- room 236 -- was a holy terror. Remote control didn't work, and the room vibrated/rattled every 8-12 minutes. Ever seen the movie "Seven" where the train causes a terrible racket in Sir Pitt's apartment? Yeah, that's this room. Barely slept the first night because of it, decided to suck it up since, you know, I'm not picky (see first paragraph). Mentioned it casually to the front desk staff on my way out the next morning, told them the noise was really bad, and they said they'd look into it. Didn't seem like they really wanted to, but they said they would.

Upon returning 12 hours later, no note and no message had been left about any inspection that may have been done. I phoned the front desk when the noise (immediately upon returning to my room) started again. They said they'd send someone up. 30 minutes passed, he didn't come. I called again, and heard his walkie-talkie radio in the hall outside the door; he passed the room again. Finally he came back, said, "It's probably the elevator, but nobody has complained about it before," to which I told him I'd like a new room. He left, went to the front desk, and returned with the key to a new room.

(By the way, does the statement of it "probably" being the elevator make anyone else uneasy? Wouldn't you want to CONFIRM it's the elevator instead of assuming that a room 20 feet away from the elevator shaft would have a vibrating wall and ceiling from it? And if it really was the elevator, I have a hard time believing that nobody else had complained. Just sayin'.)

The new room, 403, had a sink plunger that wouldn't plunge, and a marred faucet head caused by travelers-past who had tried to get it to budge, as well as stained sheets (yellow, up near the top) on one of the double beds. Ew.

The upside to this room? At least this one had the nearby highway's white noise to lull me to sleep.

But wait! Just when I'm getting ready to hit the hay, I lean over to set the alarm on the nightstand...which is when I noticed a bunch of tiny black/brown-ish bugs cruising around. Sheesh. Really?! I called the front desk, told them my room had bugs, the gal told me she'd get me a new room, and she came up to deliver yet another new room key since I was in my pajamas. She looked at the bugs, acknowledged them, I asked her to please tell maintenance so they could fix the issue, and we also noticed a 3x3" hole in the wall behind the nightstand -- classy, Crowne Plaza.

By the way, if anyone cares to dispute my claim of bugs, I took video of it on my Blackberry. See here: [--]

So my new room was 324, and it was fine(ish). It was quiet, didn't have any bugs cruising around on the nightstand (perhaps they were elsewhere...?), but it did have "a hair" (yes, one of "those" hairs) hanging out in the shower. Makes you wonder if they cleaned the room, or just merely tidied things up in between guests.

While I appreciate being given the opportunity to experience three rooms in a 24-hour time period, I really could do without the hassle. The staff didn't seem overly concerned about anything, and frankly, if this place was a Super 8, I would've been fine with it. But how dare a property such as Crowne Plaza accept this level of so-called quality from their employees. I truly question the quarterly awards I spotted on the walls by the front desk as I was on my way out.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
crowneplazaaustin, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review of our hotel, we are terribly sorry for the bad stay you had. We take all reviews whether they are critical or praising seriously, we have addressed your issues with our engineering department and our housekeeping department to make sure the rooms you were in arent like that anymore. Please give Crowne Plaza's another chance at another time, we value your feedback.

Eric W
Crowne Plaza Hotel Austin

Reviewed February 22, 2011

Stay here at this hotel often for both business and pleasure. Not the most updated tv's in rooms but my understanding is new large 37" tv's are on the way. Service and caring attitude make up for it 100 times over. Everyone knows me by my first name and this is really nice. Clean hotel and located next door to great restaurants! Hotel's food is good too!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
crowneplazaaustin, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Austin, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate any and all feedback from our guests. Please let us know when you will be returning and we will make sure you have another great stay!

Eric R Willems
Crowne Plaza Austin

Reviewed February 22, 2011

These people were so nice. The hotel is clean and comfortable. It was the best night's sleep I have had in weeks. These beds are so comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2011

My wife and I traveled here this last weekend during the big Lance Armstrong event. We were attending a wedding downtown and were trying to get a place downtown but the prices were nuts. So I started to bidding up north and got this hotel for $80 bucks which was nice. The rooms were spacious and clean. The hotel was only 10 mins from downtown which was awesome as well. The only complaint is that it took forever to get hot water in the shower. I had to let it run for what it seemed like forever to get the water a little warm.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2011

The staff here seemed to always go one step further to make our stay a good one. We were given a lovely room at the back of the hotel where it was quiet. The staff recommended a great place to go for dinner for the first night. Then the following night when things were quiet one of them spent about 30 minutes talking with me regarding general information about living in Austin. A city wide blackout when we were leaving early in the morning had us packing in the dark then walking down 7 flights of stairs! Thanks so much to the staff member who arrived to carry my suitcase down 5 flights and then disappear without a tip. Awesome!
The maintenance issues: Our TV remote didn't work. Maintenance staff came up promptly to check and offered us a room change, or to swap the TV out the next day. We asked them to swap the TV out but it never happened. The gym is good but the equipment is poorly serviced, with one of the 3 treadmills out of action and the belt slipping on the other two. The cycle seat wouldn't adjust properly. The TVs weren't working in the sports bar.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2011

So, having read the negative reviews (after I made my reservations) I contacted the hotel manager to convey my concern about the bed bug issue. He was very kind, very polite and quite reassuring that there is not and never has been a bed bug problem at his hotel and gave me his word. Am I glad I talked with him and kept my reservation. If you need a hotel in this Central Austin location you cannot go wrong. My room was extremely clean and comfortable. The entire staff was welcoming and kind...just like I've heard folks from Austin are. I had breakfasts and dinners in the lounge, watched the Jets/Steelers game in the bar and everyone was friendly and the food and drinks were spot on.

For my money, and peace of mind, this will always be my hotel of choice when traveling to Austin for business. It exceeded my expectations. Thank you to Randy (he was also nice enough to find me and introduce himself) and the entire staff of the Crowne Plaza Austin. A special thanks to Wanda & Louis as well - they treated my like family. You cannot go wrong staying here.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank skippersdad
Reviewed January 27, 2011

I travel a lot and I'm as picky as anyone, but the negative reviews for this hotel just aren't warranted. Now granted, I did get a $46 rate from Priceline here, but when you use it you can't pick your exact location and after reading the horrible reviews of this place was expecting a bumpy ride for my four night stay. Not so.

The place was clean, ample towels, fridge, mini coffee maker - albeit not an updated room, but lots of pillows and comfy, wireless worked fine. Lobby was nice and front desk staff was very helpful. I agree that the rooms could use a microwave and better TVs, but I am rarely looking for the best TVs when I visit a hotel. Lobby was nice, bar was like most hotels fairly dead but again, if you're rating the crowd at a hotel bar in a town that has hundreds - that's your problem. Didn't try the restaurant either (because I was in Austin!). Hey, they even had attractive chambermaids who were very sweet and helpful. Go figure.

Location is a bit hard to get to amidst the the interchange and celebrated Texas access roads and all, but once you figure it out, it's very conveniently located. Not the greatest area of Austin, but accessible to just about everywhere in town. Had meetings near the Capitol and it only took me 8 mins to get there. Plus you have the advantage of my fave restaurant, Papadeaux's right next door, which for me was a plus.

I always wonder how the negative reviews for very capable hotels come from, and I'm assuming it's either planted by competition or by whiny people who just like to complain. This hotel was a good deal even at it's normal rate. No complaints here.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business