“Great location,”

Ranked #42 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Bowie, Maryland
“Great location,”
Reviewed August 13, 2010

We stayed at the Radisson so we would be in a good location to watch the bats and walk around downtown. The Hotel has a TGIF that looks out over the congress st bridge. It has great service. It also has a starbucks in the lobby. You can walk out the back of the hotel and stroll or jog along the river it's very pretty. The problems were the front desk staff is a little Rude in my opinion. Anytime we asked for directions, they looked at us like we were idiots. I asked several questions about the bats, where's the best place to see them, when, ect. the lady was rude and afterwards I was angry that she didn't tell us how late they had been coming out. we waited until 945 no bats. Other guests also said they never saw the bats. We also had to cal 2X to have our internet turned on in our room (which we pre-paid $10 a night) and finally after they cut us off the morning we were checking out I just gave up. It was so inconvenient since I needed to look up times on our last lunch/brunch destination and tour of the capitol.The Hotel was nice but the front desk staff needs a customer service lesson. The Valet were very nice they called cabs for us and seemed pleasant . The location was good.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Austin, TX
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Normally I'd be happy with the choice I got for a good price on Priceline. I think it's a great location and had no knowledge of problems with this hotel. We've had good stays with them before; however, this time the AC didn't work in the room on Thursday night. So we told the front desk and left to help someone put a window unit in their home. We worked outside in the 100 degree heat all day long and returned to the hotel around midnight expecting a cool room for the night. This was not the case. We did not sleep well because it was at least 80 in the room with no air circulation. When I talked to the manager the next day, she said she couldn't do anything because we had gone through Priceline. Priceline is working on it for us and I'm sure it will be resolved. But the manager at the Radisson said we got what we wanted a King bed, non-smoking room and they were full, so she couldn't have moved us to another room and sometimes the 12th floor is warm, etc, etc, etc. I was surprised at that response and felt that they could have done something to make our stay more comfortable. None of the reasons for having a hot room were reasonable in my opinion. I think it's the hotels responsibility to have a working AC in the rooms in Texas in the summer.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank heartoftravel
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Felt like I was walking back into the 60's! Green carpet - gold accents - gray floral wallpaper. Everything was old, old, old. The sleep number beds...it doesn't matter what you set them on, there is still a big "thud" when you hit the bed. Only one elevator worked so there were long lines to take the elevator up to your room and it took a long time to come to your floor and pick you up. Maid never came. I really don't see how anyone could call this a 3.5 star hotel! There are way to many other hotels around there that are much better.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Texasstarr
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I hadn't been there since 2008. But, this, my second stay in 2 years, was equally as memorable....from the doorman when I drove up to the Front Desk when I checked out. I always only get to stay one night on business. I want to find an excuse to stay here during a leisure trip to Austin. Even the view from my hotel room was wonderful. Great hotel.. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
San Antonio
Reviewed July 22, 2010

There were no flaws from parking to checking-in, and the elevator was waiting. The room was quiet, cool and very clean, and the blackout curtains blacked out! Excellent location in Austin. I have stayed here before and will come back again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Alexandria, LA
Reviewed July 22, 2010

In the hot hot July days we had the Radisson on the lake with a partly shady pool and a easy restaurant (TGI Fridays) for a quick drink or easy dessert. Downtown parking is hard to come by in Austin and so the valet parking worked well for us. It was also conenent to most everything we wanted to visit. It's right at the bat bridge and we walked across the bridge to the Hyatt to catch the evening bat cruise ($10) from Capital Cruises. I would highly recommend the hotel. (We opted for the lake view and got to try the sleep number bed as well.)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank romeojoe
NY
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I stayed here for about 4 nights (before moving to another hotel in town) and found the hotel to be good but not great. My major gripe with this hotel is the level of smoking that is permitted in the pool area. I'm not just talking about around the pool deck, I'm talking about people smoking while standing IN THE POOL. I mentioned this to the front desk and they feigned ignorance even though I saw the same clerk coming down to the pool moments earlier to talk with one of the smokers about his room. The clerk said that she would talk with her manager. Next day, same thing, people smoking IN the pool and holding little cups to flick their ashes. Keep in mind that this is June in Texas so families will be in the pool too and to have to put up with all these smokers while keeping my young kids off to one side is just plain annoying.

Clearly the hotel thinks is okay to have people standing in the pool smoking and drinking beer but if you intend to stay at this Radisson and visit the pool with your family, you might want to think twice.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business