“very disappointed”

Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown
Ranked #44 of 204 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed May 10, 2010

First impressions count and my first impression was before i even entered the hotel where my first contact was with an extremely rude and unprofessionly guy with a white hat.
Second impression was at check-in where my reservation couldn't be found.
Thirdly the rooms were clean if not outdated and slightly shabby,
bathrooms could do with a lick of paint as well.

Over all very disapointed.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,171)

Reviewed May 10, 2010

You can't get a better location in Austin. Lake on one side & downtown on the other. You can walk to the parks or to the nightlife, plus the bats of the Congress Ave bridge are right at your door. Most rooms have been recently renovated and aside from smallish bathrooms they are great. Plus the staff is as helpful and friendly as they can be, The only downside is a limited business center and they charge for internet access (but it's free in the lobby). Having a Starbucks right in the lobby was a real treat.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 8, 2010

I booked this hotel through concerthotels.com because I saw it on the Bass Concert Hall page for a close hotel. My mom and I were going to see the UIL One Act Play so we only needed a place close to UT for the night. There were many hotels to chose from but I chose Radisson because of the sleep number beds. My confirmation showed the sleep number bed in the Room Description. Our rate was $179.00 with tax but I was willing to pay because of the sleep number bed. When we arrived, we tried to valet park but instead of being greeted, we were barked at to quit blocking the drive and move our car. We said we were checking in and wanted to valet park. Still, the rude man told us to move our car and go park. When we checked in, right at 3:00, we found that our room did not have sleep number beds. After inquiring at the front desk, we were told that since we used another company to make the reservations there was nothing they could do. They only guaranteed us a room, nothing more. Not even an apology.
I feel like we grossly over paid for this hotel. Never again will I stay at a Radisson.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Islandgirl2210
Reviewed April 29, 2010

For the most part, I enjoyed my stay at Radisson Hotel & Suites. It was a Hotwire bid purchase so I didn't have a choice of which hotel I got and I think I got one of the better ones for the price I paid.

The location of the hotel was great, and being on the "edge" of the downtown area meant that while everything was nearby, it wasn't terribly noisy.

All of the staff I encountered were quite friendly, and somebody who I presumed was the manager greeted me on more than one occasion.

There are, however some areas for improvement:

For one, there are refrigerators and microwaves available, but you have to ask for them to get them. I did request them for my room by e-mail, which I received a confirmation for, and yet they were not there when I arrived. Had to call front desk to remind them. Not a huge deal, but it would have felt more personal to have them already there. Although, with so many hotels in this price range providing refrigerators and microwaves in all rooms, one wonders why the Radisson doesn't follow suit.

My room did not have the sleep number bed. I had a comfortable enough bed, but I really think if you are going to advertise that you have a certain product, it should be available in all rooms. I don't know if they just ran out of renovation budget half-way through replacing the beds or what but it just seemed a little odd reading through the reviews and finding out that only about half the rooms got these beds.

Pool not heated and didn't appear to be cleaned daily. If just a couple of degrees warmer probably would have been usable during my stay.

HD LCD TVs in all rooms, but not one HD channel to watch. Also, TV was set to "stretch" mode by default to take the standard definition feed and stretch it into widescreen (almost painful to watch it distorted like this but perhaps they were trying to cover up the lack of any HD programming). It is possible to change this via the remote but annoying that the TV defaults back to the stretch setting so you have to change the setting each time you turn it on.

"Drop ceiling" in bathroom looked worn and in need of replacement, otherwise everything else in the room seemed to be in good repair.

$10 a day for internet. This is a bit archaic considering that so many 3-star hotels offer wireless access for free. Also, the 3-day pass option didn't even seem to provide a discount over the daily rate (maybe 10 cents total).

Parking needlessly expensive. The parking structure seemed under-utilized and I think this may be the result of the $15 per day self parking charge. As I said, the hotel is "on the edge of the downtown area", not central, and I don't think this amount is entirely justified.

As I stated, I did enjoy my stay. The above items are things I noticed during my stay that would have bumped this up to a 5/5 rating.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank compuryan
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Great location over the Lake. Has a Starbucks and TGIF's in the hotel. Pool wasn't cleaned at all. Gym small and looks out into the patio of the pool - for me not a great set up; don't want to be right next to people lounging and looking at them. Rooms fine but can use an update; no mini-bar and feels a little worn down. But service excellent: front desk always ready to help and answer anything. Daily bottle of complimentary water was nice. And you can not be in Austin without going to Ironworks BBQ just about 3 blocks away on Red River.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 6, 2010

I reserved a lake view room as part of a package that included parking. For the money I got a bit of lake and a nice clear view of the top of the Fridays's restaurant. We did not object to the sleep number beds --we had wanted to try them for some time and I found them to be comfortable. You just have to take the time to test your level which may be what puts folks off. Our toilet took a Loooong time to flush and the tub faucet could not be shut completely off -this had obviously been a problem for a while as the drain was rusted. Service was OK-- the bellhop ignored us until my husband got mad and then was sweet, the front desk was friendly and ignored my Silver status, the concierge offered to help with anything. This was the most expensive hotel we stayed in on our road trip but Austin downtown is really expensive and if you do not put a premium on walking to things--as we do--you may find better value elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2010

I had doubts about staying at the Radisson by the Lake thinking it would be terribly expensive and loaded with add-on costs. Turns out, my fears were allayed once I got here. The rooms are comfortable; the service beginning from the curb to the front desk to the conference management to the folks at TGI Fridays make you feel at home. Rooms are quiet--can't hear your neighbors, but you can hear the street sounds. Only complaint I have is the sleep number beds--you can only adjust the right or left side, but the middle leaves you sleeping on a hill between the two adjustable sides. Didn't sleep very well. But the remainder of the trip was great. Try out the Moonshine Restaurant, a couple of blocks over and a couple of blocks up--great place to eat, especially the chicken fried steak with chipolte gravy. Hotel is walking distance to the night life on 6th Street. Free wi-fi in the lobby and in Starbucks (adjacent in the lobby)--ask the front desk for the code--it works in the room too.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business