“Perfect Location!”

Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown
Ranked #41 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for a quick weekend getaway for a concert in Austin. After reading some of the reviews I almost cancelled my reservation, I so glad we didn't. There is construction going on in the building but we never heard anything. We were on the 8th floor facing the river and loved it. The decor was a little dated but our room was clean and spacious and well appointed. The bed was comfortable and everything in the room was in perfect working order. The staff was nice and helpful. The restaurant was not open but you can order room service at no additional fee until it opens. We ordered room service breakfast one morning and it was very good. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Maegan H, Social Media Account Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

April,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We're looking forward to your next visit and can't wait for you to try our new restaurant!

We invite you to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for exciting updates about the hotel as well as info about Austin events and activities!

Radisson Austin Downtown

Write a ReviewReviews (2,156)

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We recently stayed at the Radisson while attending an event at the Austin Convention Center. First let me say we got there early, while they did not have room ready, the staff did a great job getting all our info and holding our bags with the concierge. When we returned at a regular check-in time the room was ready.
The room had a great view of downtown, and little overflow noise from the street below. We were also near the elevator and didn't hear any hall traffic!
The amenities included exceed most downtown hotels, free internet, fridge, and a great selection of channels in room. While an onsite restaurant would have been nice during our stay, the hotel was actively working on the new restaurant.
Pros:
Great staff - from the front desk, concierge, housekeeping, and parking they all were friendly and prompt
Great views and amentities
Proximity to downtown
Price for the room and parking was reasonable

Cons:
Fullsize beds are a little tight for a couple
We didn't quite figure out the magical number on the A/C to keep the room cool while sleeping.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Maegan H, Social Media Account Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Vestacha,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of you stay with us. We really appreciate it. We're so happy that you were pleased with your visit.

We hope that you have an opportunity to visit us again. Our new restaurant is opening later this month!

Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about the hotel, as well as Austin-aread events and activities.

Thanks again,

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel because my daughter had a volleyball tournament at the Austin Convention Center a few blocks from here. Given the cost of parking in downtown Austin, and the fact that I am not very familiar w/ Austin in general, I wanted to be within walking distance. I did get a better than average room rate through the tournament planning website.

The location is really great if you want to be in downtown Austin. It is overlooking a river, which is nice. My room had an incredible night view of the capitol building. I understand that this is the "city view" side. The "river view" side I heard was much quieter. Like any active city, there is plenty of street noise all night long. There is a fire station between this hotel and the Austin Convention Center, so add that into the mix, noise-wise.

I wasn't able to pull up a lot of information about what this hotel has to offer on their website, or elsewhere. I couldn't tell if the rooms had in-room safes, if refrigerators or microwaves were standard in the room, or several other things. I did read one mention of requesting a refrigerator somewhere, it might have been someone else's review. I did call the day before my check-in to ask about these things. Refrigerators are available upon request, so I put in my request. To my delight, when I checked in, I was told that a refrigerator was already placed in my room. There are no in-room safes, but you can check your items into the hotel's safe. This is more work that I wanted to do for my MacBook, so I just left it at home. If there was an in-room safe I would have brought it.

This hotel is starting to go under a major remodel. There are several color boards in the lobby showing the future of this hotel. There is currently no restaurant in the hotel, but one is being remodeled and they expect it to be open by the end of January 2014. There is no free breakfast buffet at this hotel. This question comes up a lot with folks who do these travel tournaments! There is a Starbucks in the lobby that has some breakfast-type offerings, like muffins, etc. That is open from 6a-9p daily, I believe. There are several sitting areas in the lobby of this hotel, which is nice to sit and chat with friends if you are traveling together but not staying in the same room together, as in my situation.

Everybody I encountered at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. Heather checked me in and was just as wonderful as can be. She told me what a great view my room was going to have, so that was nice to look forward to. Heather also gave me a nice map of the area and gave me plenty of dining ideas as well as information about other areas that are close enough to walk to.

Since the hotel is going under a complete overhaul, I knew the rooms were going to be a bit dated. The hallways are not the most beautiful, but they are only hallways, and not going to be that way for much longer. The room wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. The room seemed clean and decently appointed. This chain has a deal with the Sleep Number Bed company, so yes, there are Sleep Number Beds. I didn't look for information on how to use the bed before I tried to go to sleep, there may have been some sheet of paper explaining it, but I never read it. There is a remote control that operates the fullness of the bed. The higher the number, the firmer the bed. Do not put it on 75 unless you actually like sleeping on the floor! The bathroom had a granite countertop, but the tub and toilet were eh, ready to be demolished. The sink is in the bathroom, not outside. Directly outside the bathroom is a small coffee center/ vanity area which is handy for taking care of stuff while someone else is occupying the bathroom. This is also where they put your "by request" refrigerator, below the small countertop here. The rooms are under remodel, I keep saying that, but the electrical outlets in this room were so worn, my chargers and other stuff I tried to plug in just fell out.

All in all, a decent stay. I will be staying at this hotel again in a few weeks, so I wanted to make sure to get the most out of it!

Room Tip: Lake side is quieter, but costs more. Bring your ear plugs.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank plumeria9
Maegan H, Social Media Account Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Hi Plumeria9,

Thank you so much for your honest and comprehensive review. Your information regarding the hours of our Starbucks was spot on and we're sure that your review will be very helpful to future travelers.

We're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that you will be returning to stay with us again soon. Thank you for your kind words about our staff.

As you mentioned, our new restaurant, chavez, will be opening later this month. It will feature Southwestern cuisine by local chef Shawn Cirkiel. Our new gift shop, ballroom, and meeting spaces will also be completed later this month. We hope that you will be able to take advantage of these new features during your stay in a few weeks.

See you soon, Radisson Austin Downtown

Reviewed January 6, 2014

location of the hotel is central. staff are very pleasant, hotel is tired and needs a revamp and there is no restaurant so if you are on a BB basis they give you a credit towards the starbucks located in the hotel... so breakfast was not good.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
MaeganPiggy, Social Media Account Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Hi Kiva,

First, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about out hotel. We are happy that you were pleased with the location of our hotel and the friendliness of our staff. Our hotel is currently in the process of being renovated and, in fact, our new restaurant opens later this month. The restaurant will feature Southwestern inspired cuisine by local chef Shawn Cirkiel. He will also be handling all of our in-room and banquet dining. We hope that if you ever return to Austin, you will visit us again and see all our new improvements. Radisson Austin Downtown

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed here for an event at the convention center. It is conveniently located, but it was loud and dated.
Pros:
-Close to the capital and to the convention center. Easy walk to the convention center.
-Clean - room was clean despite being dated.
-Price was reasonable. Paid an additional $17/day for self park on site.
Cons:
-Very loud - we had a city view room and could hear everything on the streets below. (Based on the number of sirens we must have been close to a fire station.). Heater fan was also very loud when engaged (which blocked some street sound but was disruptive when starting).
-Beds were not comfortable - rooms have been fitted with Sleep Number beds. Most in the group we stayed with had problems - Sleep Number didn't work or failed in the middle of the night.
-Needs updating. Lobby is being renovated. Bathroom shower head had an inch of caulk to hid the gaps.

I would look for something else before staying here again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
MaeganPiggy, Social Media Account Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Hi David,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are dedicated to providing a wonderful and comfortable experience for our guests, and it sounds like your stay was less than comfortable. We are sorry that you did not enjoy the Sleep Number beds and that street noise interrupted your sleep.

We are happy that despite this, you found our location convenient, our rooms clean and our prices reasonable.

We hope that you will visit again and give us a chance to leave you with a better impression of our hotel.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Easily reached hotel from airport by Bus, which dropped off close by.

Quick and friendly check in. Upgraded to a spacious two room suite, high floor, overlooking the river.

Room was spacious, had a sofa and tv area in one room, a mini fridge.

The decor is older, floral country design on wallpaper, furniture and curtains, simple, but everything is in good shape.

Bathroom is also basic, white on white so it is boring, but all worked. Bed was comfortable, rooms were quiet, A/C worked fine.

Lobby is appealing, slate floor, fireplaces and fish tanks, and stone trim.

Outdoor pool facing the river. And there are fantastic views of sunset along river.

Location is great, walking distance to all of downtown.

There are coffee pots in rooms, but there is also a Starbucks in lobby.

Overall, great location, good rest, basic hotel.

Room Tip: River views are best, ask for a spacious room. take the bus from airport, fast, convenient and cheap...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
MaeganPiggy, Social Media Account Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Hi ORD_TGU,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We really appreciate straightforward guest reviews like yours. We're happy that our location and amenities worked well for you and that you were able to enjoy our beautiful Austin sunsets! We'd also like you to know that we are in the process of updating our suites to a more colorful, contemporary design. We hope you'll visit us again and check it out!

Looking forward to your next stay,

Reviewed December 27, 2013

The location of this hotel has the not-so-great parts pale by comparison. We could (and did!) walk EVERYWHERE from here. We also had positive sleeping experiences as we appreciated the Sleep By Number bed. We were given a room with a king bed when we requested one. The staff was friendly in all interactions.
The interior is tired, true. There is a remodel currently in progress and some of that work is audible. There is no restaurant or sundry store in the hotel. All of that being said, when I return to Austin, I will return to this hotel because it is all about location, location, location!

Room Tip: I would request a water-view room on a higher numbered floor next time.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank djvdw

Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Guest reviews are very important to us.

We're thrilled that most of your experience was positive. It's great that our location made it easy for you to get around and that you enjoyed our Sleep Number beds. We pride ourselves on our friendly staff and are happy to hear that you agree!

As you mentioned, we are in the process of updating the hotel. We recently updated our pool and, within the next month, we will have a new gift shop, meeting space, ballroom, and restaurant in place. The restaurant, chavez, will feature Southwestern cuisine by local chef Shawn Cirkiel. In the next year, additional renovations, including our one-bedroom suites, will be completed.

We look forward to your next visit and we're confident that our renovations will leave you with a great impression!

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about the hotel, including renovations, as well as information about Austin events and activities.