“Perfect location for 2 day Austin trip!”

Ranked #41 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Dublin, Ireland
“Perfect location for 2 day Austin trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

This hotel was in an ideal location to explore Austin. We had a room on the 3rd floor facing the front of the hotel. It had great views of the city. You can easily walk to the State Capitol and popular 6th Street for a drink and live music. We watched the bats fly out from Congress bridge at dusk right beside hotel which was great. The rooms definitely are dated so once the room refurbishments are complete this hotel will have it all. The room was large and spacious with everything you would need. The lobby was nicely decorated with a cool fish tank. Nice that there is a Starbucks in the lobby. If I was to return to Austin I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank babymcg
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear babymcg,

Thank you for telling us about your visit. We hope that you enjoyed your time in Austin. We really appreciate your feedback. We will pass your great feedback on to our staff. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed at the Radisson downtown due to a conference at the Austin Conference Center. I was told (by my marketing team) that it was the closest to the convention center and it certainly was. However the Hampton, the Marriott Courtyard and even a few others are closer. But to be fair it’s only a 3 block walk. But when it’s 97 degrees I felt a little wilted by the time I arrived at my booth. The one day it was raining the hotel has a little van service that will take you anywhere downtown for $5.00 and it was well worth it not to get drenched.

I thought the hotel staff was really great. The concierge was extraordinarily helpful and the front desk staff was friendly and accommodating. I requested foam pillows on a high floor and when I checked in the clerk assured me they were already in the room – and they were. I really appreciate that as that rarely happens. Also, they have a TGI Friday’s attached to the hotel which is really convenient when you arrive late into the night. It’s also a great place to sit and have a drink too. The menu and food is the same as all their other locations.
So, the location, the staff, the food options I liked. The room however…..not so much. First of all one of my pet peeves is when a hotel has the remodeling plans displayed in the lobby and then gives me a room that is not remodeled. It’s like they are saying “this is what you would be staying in if we actually cared enough to give you a nice room.” There’s a reason they have a remodeling plan in place and those reasons are evident. They have those pump up beds that are supposed to be comfortable but aren’t. There were two beds in my room and only one worked even though I told them twice about it it was never fixed. I didn’t care because I just used the other one but I thought the next guest might care. The linens were clean but overall I thought the room looked worn and tired. My other colleagues complained about their water pressure but I didn’t have that issue. It’s hard to put into words what exactly was not to my liking. It’s kind of something you almost have to experience. I guess for the price I just expected it to be better. The carpet needed replacing, the window sheers looked grungy and the beds weren’t comfortable.

The phone bedside didn’t work and I could never figure out how to set the alarm and there were no instructions. I know that seems strange but I stay in hotels every week and this alarm thing had me stumped. Then with my bedside phone not working I had to get out of bed to answer the desk phone for the wake-up call. No snoozing option there!

The hotel provided 2 free bottles of water which I really appreciated. The bell staff were polite and friendly when they checked my bag. The pool was a negative edge pool that looked out to a construction staging area. Yes, that’s right, your pool edged into construction. Who would want to see that? Also since it was a staging area and not actual construction why do it there?
If I travel to Austin again I wouldn’t stay here. But perhaps if you do be sure to ask for a room that has been recently remodeled – not one that just shows you pictures of what it MIGHT look like if they gave you a great room.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We really appreciate your candid feedback. Thank you for your great comments about that staff. We are happy that you felt welcome. The color boards in the lobby are there to create a sense of excitement about the great changes that will be coming soon to our hotel. The pool construction is nearing completion. We are so excited about this We apologize that their is still fencing around the pool and that we hope to get these last few items completed in a few weeks. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us gain in the future.

Honolulu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Great location in the middle of downtown Austin, right next to the congress bridge where people can see the bats. Walking distance from Iron Works BBQ. Starbucks and TGIF located in the lobby of the hotel. Space of the room was big, but a lot of construction at the hotel. Windows need to be clean, but the sleep number bed was comfortable. Bathroom was a little moldy. Overall stay it was a great value....

• Stayed May 2013
Dear sher808,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We really appreciate your valued feedback. We will pass this on to our staff. We use guest feedback to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I've stayed in several downtown Austin properties and I have to admit that the standards and service are very high, and that the Radisson did not disappoint. I had a lovely and spacious room overlooking Town Lake, and the location was ideal as I brought my inflatable paddleboard and travel bike (the staff really were great about this and very, very accommodating.) My only issue was that the swimming pool was closed for renovations and it would have been nice to know this in advance (Austin is hot even in June). Never had to wait long for an elevator which was nice for a conference hotel. Good solid choice particularly if you want to be right on Lady Bird Lake.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Bruce A,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. Thank you for all of your feedback regarding your stay. We are very sorry for your concerns about the pool area. We try our very hardest to deliver that message to our guests. We are sorry for the inconvenience. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. We really appreciate all guest feedback it allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located near the river, so ideal for a stroll. The busy 6th is a short walk away, but the hotel is in a quiet street with no noise, traffic or partying people. The staff friendly and professional. The room was clean and well equipped. But the AC was turned up and it was like being in a freezer (even shutting it down all night in a hot June night the room did not get warmer!). The rooms are huge and has 2 TV's, sofa and a decent sized bath. Not bad at all.

The price is in my opinion over what it should be, considering that is not a full blown hotel.

Careful with the parking as oversized trucks are hard to maneuver in the narrow lanes and spots (and don't even think of going to second floor).

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Pauak,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We really appreciate all of your comments. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your time. We will pass your feedback on to our staff. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stayed here on business May 29 to June 2, 2013 - 4 nights. Was completely impressed with every aspect of the hotel. Details:
- Special $139 rate was honored even though the booking agency dropped the reservation. The staff
- Staff - every one of them - went out of their way to be friendly and helpful
- Room was flawlessly designed and well furnished, every detail suited me
- Restaurant on premises - TGI Friday - offered great morning breakfast buffet at 6:30 (perfect for me) and delicious salad w/chicken breast for supper (low cal and delicious)
- WiFi free and flawless

I was so positively impressed I left the General Manager a hand written note -- something I've never done before.

If I come back to Austin downtown, I'll be back at this hotel for sure!

Room Tip: My room was on 5th floor, obviously recently furnished/decorated
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear doncornell99,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We really appreciate all of your feedback regarding your stay. We are so glad that we could accommodate you. We will pass all of this feedback on to our staff. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I definitely think this hotel is overpriced for its' proximity to 'bat bridge', but it is a good hotel and you are in a good location. It was a very busy weekend for the hotel, I believe they were sold out, but the staff was friendly, although they seemed overwhelmed, and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Nothing very special, but nothing bad either. If you stay here, you must go to South Congress, which is very close. Great, unique area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear mparis4386,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We really appreciate your comments and concerns about the hotel. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. We value all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.