“Great location and hotel”

Ranked #41 of 199 Hotels in Austin
texas
“Great location and hotel”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I was here on a business trip and I loved how convenient it was to everything. I could do most things and not even need my car if I wanted to. It has Starbucks in the lobby- defininte plus for me and the TGIF restaurant was great. You can sit out on the patio and watch the bats come out from under the bridge. The hotel sits right on the lake and my room was lakeside with a great view. It is close to the convention center and many restaurants, the bats, and SOCO district. The room was just right and I liked the free wifi. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank eyerish33
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear eyerish33,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments. We strive as hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We are so happy that you stayed with us, and that we could accommodate you during your business trip. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Oregon, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Overall you will do just fine staying here. The hotel is a little expensive but it's mostly up to the Radisson standard.

My main problems with it were the SleepNumber beds. Sounds nice right, you get one of those cool beds that you can adjust...but really these must be older beds, you sleep in a sag or on a ridge. There is no firm and flat setting. When I was shopping for a new mattress a year ago I never noticed this about the SleepNumber beds so I'm guessing these are older beds. Upshot is, not the best sleep. In fact the first night I woke with a headache and had to adjust the bed a couple of times to get that sorted out.

Location was the other plus and minus. Not too far to walk to some good local restaurants, but really nothing much in the way of shopping for a long way. It is also located on a corner of two busy roads. The pool area,over looked by the bridge road, gets a lot of traffic noise, as did my room on the 5th floor. Really loud as locals seem to love their Hogs and open up when the lights turn green.

Internet has a free option which is slow but serviceable for basic use. You pay for better, but the speed is still nothing to get excited about.

Ladybird Lake is right behind the hotel and the trail is accessed directly through the pool area, one of the most appealing things about this location. Very nice. I enjoyed running the trail in the evenings.

Overall I would perhaps stay here if I had to, but would look more closely at other hotels and their relationship to what is on offer in the area and what I wanted to do. This hotel is not a enough in itself to draw me to it specifically. Value wise it's not there.

Room Tip: As for a lake view, it will get you away from the road side mostly.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ringsted, Denmark
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Breakfast at TGI (through the lobby) is great, affordable, and the service is topclass. The rooms are clean, spacious and with free wifi (1 Mbit, more costs). Also the presence of a Starbuck in the lobby is great. Would wish it were open though, when returning from the famous 6'th street.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

A great stay in downtown Austin. My room was on the corner and was so roomy. If you can get any room with the last two digits of '29' then you will overlook Congress Avenue and the famous bat bridge. Be sure to enjoy the large outdoor pool as well. I ate dinner one night in TGIFridays and the staff made this a great experience. Starbucks located off the lobby was a super bonus as I left for the office in the morning. Evening strolls around downtown is what makes this a hotel stay you won't regret. It's close to everything! Will stay again and again!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Mickey G,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments. We are glad that you stayed with us, and that we could accommodate you. We will pass all of your comments on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you so much for your time. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This hotel is very comfortable with nice size rooms and reasonably priced. It has a good in-house restaurant (T.G.I. Fridays) for breakfast or a late night drink. There is also a starbucks inside.
This hotel is an easy walk to the downtown sites of Austin including shopping and the famous
sixth street bars and restaurants. The hotel overlooks and is near the bridge where the bats
come out - they sell ``bat'' t-shirts and souvenirs in the hotel shop. There is also a nice pool located near a running trail that also goes along the lake. A very good location and worth the price.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the lake where the boaters are out constantly. Try also for a high floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear jjc34,

Thank you so much for telling us about your stay with us. We will pass your comments on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. We strive as hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you for staying with us, and that we could accommodate you. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Colorado
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Good hotel to meet up with wedding group. Central location to everything in downtown Austin.
Pool looks funky, so never used it.
The mattress is a sleep number, but one of the worst quality. My back was hurting.
There was a big hair ball in the shower drain, so the water was backing up.
Employees are attentive and friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Where2NextColorado,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments and concerns. We are sorry for your concerns about the bed, and the bathroom. We are terribly sorry this inconvenience. Thanks for bringing these to our attention. We appreciate all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and for future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

DFW
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We've stayed at this property several times thru the years. It is always a satifactory hotel. It's always busy, tho.

The pool is always full of adults & kids. Pool towels & loungers run short.

The front staff was nice, no issues.

The elevators are hot & always packed. It's great to have a Starbuck's on site!

The room was good sized, but the bathroom was tiny. There is a dressing room table with a mirror outside the bathroom where they have the hairdyer.... but it's got a micowave (with coffee maker & supplies on top) and a small fridge under. Really? There is plenty of room in the room itself for these. The bathroom is too small to get ready in, so you need this space for that...but you can't put anything on the desk, as the microwave is there.

Here's a gross thing... like I said the bathroom is tiny, the toilet is 8-10 inches from the bathroom counter. This is where they have the ice bucket, drinking glasses & two bottles of water. If you've ever watched shows about germs....you'll know that when a toilet is flushed, the germs fly into the air & can spread out as much as ten feet! Disgusting.

When we arrived in our room, we found an empty bottled water on our bathroom counter & dust in the sink. and the room was musty smelling. The next day, after the room was cleaned up, it did smell fresher. But they didn't replace the used drinking glasses (which I washed thoroghly BTW).

The bed is a sleep number type bed & it was as hard as a rock. We played with it, but never got it comfortable. We were in room 911 & it was fairly quiet. We were directly over the restaurant & looked down on the roof & AC units. We could see te pool to the right of our room tho...so that was nice.

My hubby & I shared a late night snack of nachos one night at the TGI Friday's on site & they weren't very good & we actually both had stomach issues the next day. :-(

The valet dept needs some help. Not that they were short staffed, there was only one young man (white sunglasses) that did the job of what I consider a valet staff member should do. He hustled & made sure you had your car in a hurry & was always pleasant. The first day we arrived, the pith helmeted guy, took our keys, put them in the cabinet & stood there. We had to ask for a reciept, he said "Oh! You want to valet your car?" Then the last day, we called down for our car, went to the looby & checked out. We walked outside & waited for our car, waited for our car... the whole time a valet guy was just standing there. After about 5 minutes, he said do you need a ride? We said no, we're waiting on our car! He said oh! yes! I forgot.... (he was the one we talked to when we called down to get it). They just seem like a bunch of Keystone Cops.

This hotel is always crowded & lots of families stay here. It's not a quiet, romantic hotel.

It's close to the river (you can access the trails right from the property). You can see the Congress St bridge & the bats if you have a "upgraded" riverview room. Which is a possitive.

The traffic around the property is very congested.

The price was right. Would I stay here again...... maybe, if I can get the discounted rate that we got.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple