“visiting Austin with the reluctant teenager”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #43 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Beverly Hills, California
“visiting Austin with the reluctant teenager”
Reviewed November 6, 2006

First of all I am sorry for the delay in writing this review. My husband, teenage daughter and I went to Austin in April to watch our older daughter play tennis. We booked directly through Omni, which was chosen because of reviews on this page.

I was very specific when I book the room: non-smoking, 2 beds, and I did upgrade from the basic room. (Note to all: always bring your paperwork from online confirmation. Do not bring only your conformation number).

Check-in: We arrived at the hotel at 12 midnight. I called the day prior to check in to confirm our reservation and time of arrival. All was well. When we arrived however it was a different story: They lost our reservation. Out came our paperwork. And yes, they had a room...smoking and a king bed. My husband said, very quietly..no. Then they offered the lowest non smoking, king bed with rollaway. No, thank you. Then we were offered an upgraded room, one night only. (Did I mention that it is now 12:30 at night, we were tired and hungry?). My husband and i were very polite, as was reception. They were really trying to find us a room, when the supervisor came out (everyone working behind the desk was YOUNG, probably college students), and pointed to a room. It was an upgrade, for the whole weekend. We said thank you. And went upstairs to a two bedroom, two bath suite! It had two balconies and a full kitchen (which I didn't visualize using, but we did). Our bellman said that room service was closed but he could get us chicken caesar salads and soda. Again, thank you. We ate and slept..

It is amazing how a nice room can lift the spirits on even the reluctant teenager.

The staff was very helpful with directions and restaurants. They recommended Stubbs, just a few block way away. (with the caution that you had to cross over at one street because of a honeless shelter, not a problem).

Food was just so so for breakfast. We ordered off the menu once, and had the buffet twice. But the staff again was quite nice.

We experienced our first real lightning storm with storm warnings. A bellman heard us discussing it...(I made the comment that at least you had warnings as opposed to here where earthquakes just happen.) and told us while there would porbably not happened, should alarm bells go off procede downstairs and we would be taken care of for the duration.

All in all, the Omni was a really good choice for location, staff interaction, and especially for the price we paid.

• Liked — The willingness of the staff to work at solving the problem. The suite was bigger than most apartments in New York.
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
10 Thank ellebud

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Indonesian first
dallas
Reviewed October 29, 2006

Maybe I'm getting old and fussy, but being awakened repeatedly by drunken sorority girls yelling and slamming doors after 2am is not acceptable. Yes, it was a Saturday night, and yes, this hotel is walking distance of the bars on 6th street, but I still expect to be able to get a few hours of sleep. Will try the Hilton next time.

Stayed September 2006
10 Thank johnreeves
Houtson, tc
Reviewed October 22, 2006

I stayed in the Omni Oct 16 thru 18 for business. I am usually very sensitve to noise at night. A was very pleasantly surprised at how quite the room was. I was on the 12th floor and I had an outside window. I never noticed doors slamming, etc, and these usually bother me.

The room was quite spacious. Bed was comfortable, and the free wireless internet was great. The concierges were quite attentive and always answered questions accurately (I lived in Austin for a while and am familiar with the area). The hotel location is in a safe place. I enjoyed pre-dawn walkes along Congress - always felt safe. Being close to 6th street is a plus, provided the rooms are insulated from the street noise.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
10 Thank MTBtraveler
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 2, 2006

My wife and I stayed for two nights. As a native of Austin, I have a fair bit of insight and experience with Austin hotels. The downtown location is a definite plus. This is a pefectly adequate hotel, but not quite on par with other Omni properties in the U.S. The room is clean, and bed was quite good. Plenty of workspace is available. Bathroom was fine but not outstanding. The room was not the most quiet we've had; hallway and adjacent room noise was distracting. Room service food and attention were above average. While we'd stay here again and would have no problems recommending the hotel, there are better options in Austin (Hyatt and Renaissance among them).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
12 Thank Andaltex
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Accompanied one of our friends to Austin and stayed at this hotel for a night. Although we are Omni Select Guest Members, we booked our stay through Priceline this time and our price bid went through, so we were able to get the hotel for $105 a night, a big savings (especially for downtown Austin). This hotel is located about 2 blocks away from 6th street on the quieter end. The hotel staff were very friendly and courteous. In the past, I've noticed that you are treated differently, if you book your room on a different website from the hotel and they do not give you credit for the stay. I'm not sure if they gave us credit as a stay on our Select Guest Membership, however, they did give us all the perks. So I did receive the room preferences that I choose as a Select Guest and first dibs on the room, instead of waiting to see what was available.
The room was nice and clean. We checked in at 6:45 p.m., went to dinner, and came back later to see that they turn down the room. Very nice touch.
The concierge was great. On the way to the hotel, I called ahead because I didn't know the number the San Francisco Steak House and I wanted to get reservations. The concierge told me they would look up the number, make the reservation for me, and then call me back on my cell. Turned out the number listed on the internet and phone book were not working numbers and I later found out on the way driving out of Austin, that the restaurant was closed. Not sure why. Anyhow, when I got to the hotel, they referred us to a really great steak restaurant 2 blocks away called Dan McKluskey's and also gave us a card with the Chef Special. When we got to the restaurant, we found out that that meant $6.95 off an appetizer. You never know what the Chef Special is until you get to the restaurant. The food was good as well as the service. The ribeye steak starts at about $29.95 for a 10 oz. but it worth it.
Overall, I would stay at this hotel again. It made for a nice getaway and the service just made it even better!

• Liked — Service from the Staff
  • Disliked — Parking costs money
  • Tips/Secrets — Yes but I already exposed them on the review
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank eugenefranklin
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Location, location, location! Within walking distance of 4th St. We received a complimentary room upgrade due to low occupancy. With that came free alcohol for happy hour from 5pm-7pm and snacks...but we were on a liquid diet. The concierge was knowledgable, friendly, and polite. I've stayed at several Omni, but this one is hands down the best! On weekends, they employ security guards to keep out the extremely crazy/noisy youngsters as well as a police officer. The roof top pool is small, but has a sweet view, along with a mini bar that serves margaritas! For mid twenties and people that like to have a good time, this is the place to stay. Families could enjoy it here as well, but if you like it extremely quiet...dont stay near 4th street! Personally there were no loud obnoxious incidents, but the chance of one is moderate! I would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Free Alcohol
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask about complimentary upgrade for low occupancy level, but you need to be an Omni Select Guest member
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
8 Thank uokwildcat
cave creek, az
Reviewed August 3, 2006

This is the my second time staying at this hotel and it was perfect. The location is great. The services at the front desk, restaurant and coffee area were excellent. Rooms were good size with a very comfy bed. My only negative is that the valet parking was very expensive. Next time I am in on business I will stay there again.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — valet charges were high
  • Tips/Secrets — great place to stay when doing business in Austin