“Excellent Service, Wonderful Location”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #37 of 199 Hotels in Austin
Fort Worth, Texas
“Excellent Service, Wonderful Location”
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Accompanied one of our friends to Austin and stayed at this hotel for a night. Although we are Omni Select Guest Members, we booked our stay through Priceline this time and our price bid went through, so we were able to get the hotel for $105 a night, a big savings (especially for downtown Austin). This hotel is located about 2 blocks away from 6th street on the quieter end. The hotel staff were very friendly and courteous. In the past, I've noticed that you are treated differently, if you book your room on a different website from the hotel and they do not give you credit for the stay. I'm not sure if they gave us credit as a stay on our Select Guest Membership, however, they did give us all the perks. So I did receive the room preferences that I choose as a Select Guest and first dibs on the room, instead of waiting to see what was available.
The room was nice and clean. We checked in at 6:45 p.m., went to dinner, and came back later to see that they turn down the room. Very nice touch.
The concierge was great. On the way to the hotel, I called ahead because I didn't know the number the San Francisco Steak House and I wanted to get reservations. The concierge told me they would look up the number, make the reservation for me, and then call me back on my cell. Turned out the number listed on the internet and phone book were not working numbers and I later found out on the way driving out of Austin, that the restaurant was closed. Not sure why. Anyhow, when I got to the hotel, they referred us to a really great steak restaurant 2 blocks away called Dan McKluskey's and also gave us a card with the Chef Special. When we got to the restaurant, we found out that that meant $6.95 off an appetizer. You never know what the Chef Special is until you get to the restaurant. The food was good as well as the service. The ribeye steak starts at about $29.95 for a 10 oz. but it worth it.
Overall, I would stay at this hotel again. It made for a nice getaway and the service just made it even better!

• Liked — Service from the Staff
  • Disliked — Parking costs money
  • Tips/Secrets — Yes but I already exposed them on the review
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank eugenefranklin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Indonesian first
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Location, location, location! Within walking distance of 4th St. We received a complimentary room upgrade due to low occupancy. With that came free alcohol for happy hour from 5pm-7pm and snacks...but we were on a liquid diet. The concierge was knowledgable, friendly, and polite. I've stayed at several Omni, but this one is hands down the best! On weekends, they employ security guards to keep out the extremely crazy/noisy youngsters as well as a police officer. The roof top pool is small, but has a sweet view, along with a mini bar that serves margaritas! For mid twenties and people that like to have a good time, this is the place to stay. Families could enjoy it here as well, but if you like it extremely quiet...dont stay near 4th street! Personally there were no loud obnoxious incidents, but the chance of one is moderate! I would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Free Alcohol
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask about complimentary upgrade for low occupancy level, but you need to be an Omni Select Guest member
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
8 Thank uokwildcat
cave creek, az
Reviewed August 3, 2006

This is the my second time staying at this hotel and it was perfect. The location is great. The services at the front desk, restaurant and coffee area were excellent. Rooms were good size with a very comfy bed. My only negative is that the valet parking was very expensive. Next time I am in on business I will stay there again.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — valet charges were high
  • Tips/Secrets — great place to stay when doing business in Austin
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank amkull
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We stayed at this hotel over July 4th weekend. We got a last minute deal through Travelocity, so I don't know exactly what we paid per night, but we had a very enjoyable stay. The hotel is only two blocks away from 6th Street, and is walking distance from the Warehouse district, the Congress Ave. Bridge, and the State Capitol. Our room wasn't shabby at all. Everything seemed to be in great shape except the coffee maker, which had seen some use. I requested a new one and received one within 15 minutes. The morning we left, I ordered room service breakfast so I wouldn't have to eat at the airport. Breakfast arrived at the very beginning of the time slot I had requested, and although it was just a basic contental breakfast, it was delicoius and well-presented and well worth the small expense. We had a room with an atrium view, which was fine.

My only complaint about the room was the poor placement of electrical outlets. There was really only one outlet you could use to charge your phone, laptop, etc. This was an issue for my husband and I, who have a lot of gagdgets to charge at night. This also made it so that the only convenient place to plug in the iron was in the bathroom. I ended up running the cord out of the bathroom into the little hallway, where there wasn't much light. There also weren't any convenient vending machines, which is a small quibble; I guess the hotel wanted us to raid the wet bar for overpriced drinks and munchies.

Anyway, overall we had a great experience at the Omni, and we would stay there again if we returned to Austin.

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 8, 2006

In a nutshell:

-clean
-comfortable
-extremely friendly and efficient service
-great location
-yes, the rooms are a little tired, but for the price and location it is a good deal.
-rooftop pool/jacuzzi great!

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank NewEnglandGirl
Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 6, 2006

We were in Austin for only two nights, so I pricelined this hotel for $84. The room was clean and quiet, and the hotel is within easy walking distance to 6th street.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank stacde
Ashland, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 9, 2006

I stayed at the Omni with a few of my friends for 3 nights for a wedding in Austin. I was very pleased with the service and quality of the hotel.

Pros:
- Very friendly staff
- Consierge was very attentive and welcoming
- Front desk was helpful and knowledgable
- When you called for towels, they were at your door in minutes
- Great patio on the roof with a pool and hottub. Very fun and relaxing.
- Fast elevators
- Great food in the lobby, nice restaurants and bar area
- Close to 6th street and many other downtown locations

Cons:
- The room felt like a motel 6

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank northendmoon