“Comfortable stay”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #40 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night with a same day reservation via Priceline which made it a good deal. The room was clean with comfortable beds. The "view" was into the very large atrium which was a bit different. One side is the hotel and the other side is offices both looking into the atrium. Valet or self parking for a fee available. My only complaint was no vending machines which forces you to use their mini bar.

Stayed: December 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (2,957)

Reviewed December 23, 2013

First and foremost, the atrium/lobby area had and does have a severe echo and carries sound all too well. My room overlooked this area and despite being on the thirteenth floor, was able to hear every single thing that went on at the ground level: • whenever a door opened from outdoors, we could hear a whoosh of air pressure against our window • whenever the bars let out at 2 a.m. and the crowd came back in from off the street • whenever the stage for Saturday night's live band (which was loud enough, thanks) was disassembled (made up completely of hollow aluminum tubes, apparently) we could hear not pin drops here folks, but loud as hell tubes being dropped (not placed) down on the floor. • Also note: Who's bright idea was it to have the stage DISASSEMBLED AT TWO IN THE MORNING?? • The heavy curtains failed to close all the way, so when I did manage to get to sleep, the sunlight outside managed to wake me up again in the morning. So, this complete lack of sleep on my part gave me great pains and did nothing to help the reputation of this large downtown hotel. - Room 1311

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 792dougw
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the inconvenience caused by the breakdown in the lobby. It certainly was an oversight and a learning experience.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Up side: Fantastic bed and bedding. Great views. Down side: Incidentals - No one pays for public WiFi in Austin. That's just weak. Spray starch in the room - but be careful before you open it, there's a price tag in the fine print. Same thing with the large water bottle (not in the locked up mini bar) Notes on the robes made me worried that I would be charged if we used them. I felt like I was reading the fine print on everything to make sure we wouldn't be charged for the soap and toilet paper. However, all of that being said, we had a great stay and a good comfortable night's sleep. That's really all you stay in a traveler's hotel for anyway.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Christopher D
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Excellent room with extremely comfortable bed, great towels, perfect temp controls, and an extremely friendly and helpful staff everywhere! Shows that they've had and get superb training to really show guests high level care.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I recently stayed at the Omni Hotel in downtown Austin, and I was highly impressed. I honestly did not expect such a nice hotel in the middle of downtown. The hotel itself is beautiful and well kept, and even though construction/renovation was going on it was hardly noticeable. The check-in was quick and efficient, and the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating.

The best part was the rooftop pool, which has incredible views of the city. Even though it was too cold too swim (the pool is heated, but we couldn't figure out how to turn the heat on), it was fun just to sit on the roof and watch the downtown action. The gym was also very nice if that is important to you.

The cleaning/housekeeping staff was some of the best I have encountered. They came promptly every morning, and came more than once to tidy things up.

The hotel itself is close to everything in Downtown: 6th street, 2nd street district, the Lake for kayaking, and we even walked to the Palmer event center which was only a fifteen minute walk. Even though it is close to everything, it still remains quiet despite the noise outside.

I would recommend this place to anyone wanting to stay near downtown Austin. The ONLY thing I could possibly think of that could use improving is the water pressure. I am not sure, but it may just be an Austin thing as I know they value conservation? If not, I think the hotel would benefit from a boost in water pressure. It does make a big difference when you can have a decent shower. Despite this, I would stay again.

Room Tip: I would say stay at the highest level if you can. It is quieter, and you have easy access to the roo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HTownMelBell
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I have a high expectation for Omni hotels because of previous experience in different city such as Washing DC, however, this one did not meet my expectation. The room was tiny and the water pressure was unbelievable. I expect more from 4 star hotels.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

We appreciate the constructive feedback from your recent stay. Please accept our apologies for the issues involving your water pressure. Rest assured the problem has been reported to our Engineering department. We value your patronage and hope you will return in the future.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I love the Omni Hotels and the downtown Austin location is no different. Great customer service, great amenities, turndown service (my personal favorite) excellent room with a great bathroom. Bed is very comfortable and the room was huge. Again, excellent service at a great price.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple