“Champagne service at a beer price.”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #43 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This may sound crazy, but this was one of the best hotels I've stayed in. From the hotel quality, location and value I'm not sure it could be beat.

I stayed here for the NYE holiday, 4 nights. I booked it early in August at one price and when it went down I was able to call up and change it 2 different times. At $170 a night for weekend/holiday it was more than worth it.

As for the room, it was very nice. 2 double beds that were comfortable, a nice tv and bathroom was a good size with a big sink area. The shower was also has a great shower head, which is another plus when going to a hotel. It was also perfectly clean, which for me is huge.

The hotel itself was also amazing. It shares a lobby (although there are separate entrances) with an office building and the lobby is open so that looks kind of cool. There a restaurant (great breakfast buffet), Starbucks and bar in the lobby. My friends and I used all 3 and they were above average. They also had 2 free dry cleaned items and 1 free shoe shine. If you sign up to be a select member (see tip below) you get 2 free beverages delivered to your room each morning. I didn't use this however, because I signed up on my last day.

The staff/concierge/valet were also very helpful. I didn’t use them that much, but when needed they were good. Concierge set up a shuttle back to the airport and the valet guys gave some good tips for bars/restaurants. They also came around and gave free bottles of water and a bag of ice. We got it 2 days, not sure what time they come, but that was great.

I even checked out the pool despite the somewhat cold weather (I even went in!). It was on the roof and seemed like a really cool spot that overlooks downtown. The pool itself was small in size and depth, 3 feet, but it looks like a cool place to hang in the summer and/or warm months.

All-in-all the Omni Austin Downtown was fantastic. I will certainly stay there again if I'm ever in Austin, but the Omni brand is something I will look to use in the future.

Room Tip: Sign-up for the Select Guest program. It's free and gets you some really good perks including f...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mjh84
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review our your experience at our hotel. We welcome you to our Select Guest Program and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Omni Austin Hotel Downtown

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed at an Omni hotel once before and LOVED it, so we were pretty excited about getting such a great deal for Austin, close to the action!

The hotel is gorgeous! The lobby is decorated perfectly, and the layout makes sense and is easy to move about in.

We were asked if we wanted to upgrade to their new executive suites, which we said yes too! We were offered the option to stay in a room with a balcony room or one that looked into the lobby. We chose the balcony. Now I will say that we were told we might get noise from the highway, but the way it was worded made it sound like it wouldn't be THAT bad. Well it was. Seriously, I've never heard so many sirens going off in my life! We are not complainers nor are we light sleepers, but this woke us up each time it happened! Do yourself a favor and stay in one that faces the lobby!

While that was a big reason I rated the hotel as average, there were other things too. We were told that the rooms had been newly renovated, but already two of the light fixtures were falling apart, though still operating! And the shower took a good five minutes to get to a temp that was ok to shower in. That said the room was huge! Very spacious!

The beds are the best thing about this hotel. SO AMAZING! I want one for myself!!!

I think this hotel is great, just needs a few tweaks. Can't give it anything about average because our stay here was just average. I would return, but would make sure to check on the problems I mentioned here!

• Stayed: December 2012

We thank you for the valuable feedback from your recent visit. Please accept our apologies for the condition of the light fixtures and we appreciate you reporting the issue so that we may rectify immediately. In addition, we're very sorry to hear that you encountered city noise while in your exterior facing guestroom. We hope you will return and perhaps try an interior room. Many thanks for your positive comments regarding the comfort of our beds.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The downtown Omni is everything you would expect of an Omni and much more.

First off, if you've never been to an Omni before, join the free Select Guest program for in-room Internet, morning beverages, pressing and a host of other freebies that will set you back $40 in most other comparable hotels. And yes, it's all free.

Otherwise, the basic room is excellent. The Club level room is amazing with free breakfasts and complimentary happy hours, and the Suites are spectacular. The last room I had even included a treadmill which wowed me to death. Whichever room you get, they are among the most comfortable in Austin. As a business traveler, I pay less to park here than in other hotels, save $20 a day on Internet and probably about the same for other benefits.

Overall, you can't beat the Omni - I strongly, strongly recommend it!

Room Tip: Face the interior atrium for a quieter night - face the outside city for a view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

We appreciate your positive feedback! We're happy to have you as a member of our Select Guest Program so that you may enjoy the many perks that the program includes. We value your continued patronage and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Omni during the F1 race this past November. Our room was recently renovated, spotlessly clean, comfortable and quiet. The large bathroom included an oversized shower with a rain shower head, bath robes and plenty of towels. The turndown service was much appreciated since the bathroom was always replenished with clean towels and amenities.

The front desk and concierge staff were very helpful and genuinely friendly, which was impressive given the large number of guests staying there for the race. We arrived several hours before check-in and were immediately given a room.

The rooms either have a street view or interior atrium view. Our room was on the 18th floor and had a street view. We never heard any outside noise even though the 6th street entertainment district was two short blocks away. The interior atrium connects the hotel to an adjacent office building which is all glass. The restaurant and bar are also in the atrium. The rooms looking into the atrium lacked privacy and always had their curtains closed.

The restaurant and bar are convenient; however there are many more interesting places within walking distance of the hotel.

I recommend the Omni especially because of the hospitality, cleanliness and convenient location. Be sure to request a renovated room with a street view on a higher floor.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room with a street view on a higher floor. The elevator is located in a separat...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding your recent visit during the Formula One race. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed our renovated guestrooms and the customer service of our staff. We value your patronage and hope you are able to return in the very near future. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We did not want to check out! We really enjoyed everything and were more than satisfied with the experience overall. I think the extra cost over the other chains like hilton and marriott is well worth it. We really enjoyed the small touches like evening turndown service, morning coffee delivery (we ordered croissants one morning-yum!), and free water and ice delivered to us in the evening. Overall an amazing stay! We were in a corner suite and it was killer. We rented a movie & chips and salsa and beer room service in the room one night and just hung out. The robes, beds, towels and toiletries were plush. Stay here, you will love it!

• Stayed: December 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments regarding your experience at our hotel. We're pleased to hear your stay exceeded your expectations and we thank you for your patronage.

Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Just sign up to be a VIP with omni and you get automatic free stuff. We decided to stay in Austin overnight on the way to San Antonio. We scooped up a cheap last minuet price. It was a nice corner room that included your choice of morning beverage and paper. These are usually reserved for people who have actually stayed with the hotel before.
They even pressed a pair of pants and shined my boots all at no cost. What a deal.
Park across the street for $5 instead of $16 for self or $26 valet.

• Stayed: December 2012

Thanks for your feedback and welcome to the Omni Select Guest Program! We hope you return to Austin and our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We live locally, but wanted to stay downtown to go out and experience some nightlife that we usually try to avoid.

As others have highly recommended, it is a great idea to become a SelectGuest member. The perks for joining are very nice, even if you don't stay often enough at Omni Hotels. They also include you on email deals, which is how we were able to book a room at a significant savings versus the regular rate.

Check in was a breeze with the very friendly staff. We were assigned a room on the Executive Level and took our elevator up to our floor.

The room was a little smaller than I anticipated, but very nicely equipped with everything a traveller might need. There were ample electrical outlets to charge cell phones and other devices, much more than most hotels. Our room had a very comfortable king sized bed, flat screen TV and a minibar. While the pricing for the items inside the minibar fridge were a little inflated, it wasn't too bad if one felt so inclined to dabble a little...I certainly didn't see any $5 bags of M&M's like other places.

Despite the room being a little on the cozy side, the bathroom was a standout. There was a large walk-in tile shower (no tub, which was fine), expansive sink area with amenities to include lotion, shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, soaps, cotton balls and cotton swabs. We were pretty sure someone had taken the Holy Grail of bathroom amenities--the sewing kit.

The closet held an ironing board, iron and in true Omni style, a small container of starch for ironing was available for purchased use.

We then left the room and went downstairs to enjoy the bar before going out to dinner. We did not eat at the hotel. When we returned to the room later, we found our bed had been turned down and the TV tuned to a relaxing channel. Water and ice had been delivered also, which was a nice and welcome touch, available for SelectGuest members.

The temperature in the room overnight could have been more consistent, because it would go from being warmer to cold and back. I guess I could have adjusted the thermostat and that probably would have helped.

Another great part of being a SelectGuest member is the option to have coffee delivered to the room in the morning. At check-in, you fill out a card requesting a beverage and a delivery time; there are also options for breakfast but the beverage is complimentary. Ours was delivered right on time and was a nice change from typical hotel room coffee or the sleepy-eyed walk downstairs to the lobby for morning coffee.

Following that, we had a quick check out and left.

In closing, the Omni Downtown Austin is in a great location one block east of Congress. If coming downtown for business or pleasure, it is uniquely situated to be rather centrally located. (One tip; the Convention Center is just south (and downhill) from the Omni. Walking there might not be a problem, but hoofing it back uphill might be not as much fun as one might like.) The hotel itself is designed with travelers in mind and attention is paid to the small details that can be easily overlooked by other hotels.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends