“In the Middle of the Action”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #42 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Leicester, England
“In the Middle of the Action”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at the Omni including the weekend with Halloween festivities ! Yes it was very noisy Saturday but the hotel advice on quietest rooms was appreciated and their security was evident.
Excellent bedroom and bathroom, great views over the city, friendly and helpful staff.
Location is brilliant with all the attractions of 6th Street music and bars/restaurants close by and easy walking to the Capitol and Congress St.
Parking expensive but secure and if you have a car right in the centre of city then this is no surprise.
A most enjoyable stay and would happily return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for the positive comments regarding our location, accommodations and staff. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Indonesian first
Mapua, New Zealand
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We have a lovely 2 nights here. From the moment we arrived in our car to when we left the staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was an inward facing room so was very quiet. The room was also spacious and comfortable. The old negative would be the lack of lighting over the bath/shower, once you closed the shower curtain it was very dark. We really enjoyed our stay here and would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your positive comments. We appreciate you taking the time to post a review regarding your stay. We do hope you return in the near future.
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I just stayed at the Omni Hotel for four nights while we were attending a convention. The hotel is very well situated and appointed and the service was great.
The beds were very comfortable and the toiletries were excellent. One downside was that the lights were not bright enough in the room and especially in the bathroom. A second and bigger downside was that both of the rooms we were in were smelly. We had requested nonsmoking but the first room they put us in for the first night had a very strong smoke odor. We requested a change and they moved us the second day, but I am not sure it was an improvement. The new room smelled mildewy (sour) unless we kept the air conditioning turned up pretty high. The smell never did really go away. So I would recommend this hotel, but I would ask to see (and smell!) the room they put you in before you agree to stay in.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank majorprof
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
We thank you for your valuable feedback. We are a 100% non-smoking hotel. Unfortunately, some guests disregard our policy. We do take steps to deep clean each room after guests have smoked. I'm very sorry for any residual odor. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide our usual standard of clean, comfortable accommodations and superior customer service.
cheeseville, wi
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

First off let me be clear that we stayed during ACL. I'm sure that is why it was so expensive. Other than the price, we were very happy with our stay. Super comfortable beds and quiet considering the events. Staff was friendly and helpful. Bathrooms were a little dated in my book though. We have stayed at hotels throughout the country and the Omni does need to consider updating the bathrooms. The plain beige tile reminds me of every home built in the late 90's.

• Stayed October 2012
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay during ACL. We value your input and hope you will consider returning to our hotel for next year's ACL event.
Charleston, SC
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Recently my friends and I stayed here 5 nights for ACL. The hotel itself is nice, and we thoroughly enjoyed the downstairs bar and bartenders, especially one of the female bartenders (can't remember her name) who was a great mixologist and introduced us to several new drinks - thanks for recommending the New York Sour!!
The problem came one night as my friends and I were returning to the room, and were immediately approached by the midnight shift manager (Michael Nance or Vance?), as well as a security guard, asking us to be quiet. This was fine, except we had literally just returned to our room and were not being loud by any means! The breaking point was when the security guard went as far as to point a taser gun at my friend, for no reason, as my friend was listening to what the manager was saying, which actually scared my friend. His behavior was completely ridiculous and I felt severely disrespected by this manager. I even went as far as to try and discuss this matter the following day with the manager, and he was completely unapolgetic and could have cared less. As a professional person, with a doctorate degree, I have to say that I don't conduct myself in childlike/careless manner, even when on vacation, and was upset to see myself and my friends treated in such a poor manner.
This was my first time staying at an Omni hotel, and while it was in a good location in Austin, I will probably choose to stay somewhere else next time after such threatening, uncalled for behavior.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thanks so much for your comments regarding our hotel. We do appreciate your positive notes. Unfortunately we have many guests who return to the hotel and create a disturbance or make noise and we respond to ask the guests in the noisy room to respect our other guests and quiet down. We often respond with a security officer. It should be noted that none of our security officers carry any weapons of any kind including tasers.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The place is in a good location, and that is the last positive thing I will say about this dump. First you walk into the decor of Atlantic City 1993. Old, horrid decor, carpeting and design. If it is any indication the restaurant (That I wouldn't dare try) has blue water glasses on the tables. The rooms are worse. Time for a serious update! Besides that the bed and bedding. My wife and I both found the beds were awful! We both had back and neck issues for days after sleeping on them. If you have to stay here, bring an air mattress and use that. Also, I found it hard to sleep due to sever allergies. I found that strange, because outside I was fine, but when I got to the room my allergies acted up terribly. I investigated, and found dust on ledges, pictures, and giant clump of lint in the out blowing air ducts. There was a disgusting brown stain behind the toilets in the bathroom. Just filthy! When I brought it to a managers attention, he asked, "Would you like us to fix that?" I was in shock. Yes, I would like you to fix the feces stains, and unbreathable air in my room, if it's not too much trouble. The place is a dump, management is rude and clueless, old furnishings and appointments, and overall one of the worst hotels Ive had the displeasure of staying in. Never again Omni.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Floundered
Just for those who read this review...this guest brought 2 dogs into the hotel and did not notify our desk staff. While he was out for the evening we had to remove the barking dogs as they were disturbing other guests. He was quite angry that we had to speak to him as "his dogs never bark". When we spoke to him about this he threatened to write bad reviews on this and other sites. I personally addressed this guest and we even offered to care for his dogs while he went out the second night of his stay. Which we did.
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stay at about 45 hotels per year for work and this is the best one. I have stayed here two different times and received a double upgrade for being a black status in Omni's to the executive floor. Room was amazing, two bathrooms, nice living room, huge shower, and my arrival gift of free wine and cheese. My coworker received the get fit suite, which had a gourmet kitchen and a exercise area with a full size treadmill facing a small flat screen TV.

The good:
Good fitness center
Comfy beds
Front desk staff is great and loyalty ambassador made sure I got my upgrade day of arrival.
Quiet.
Amazing location.
Nice rooftop pool (not for swimming, just for looks)

The bad:
To get to the fitness center you have to walk across the lobby and a restaurant.

***Note to people complaining about paying for wifi, no access to pool, etc. You are all really dumb, the Select Guest program is free to join and you instantly receive free wifi, access to pool, and 4 free drinks in the morning delivered to your door****

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you so much for your glowing review of our hotel. We're pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations in every way and appreciate your patronage as an Omni Hotels Select Guest Black Level Member. We look forward to welcoming you home during your next visit!