“Nice Hotel, But Beware of "Security"”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #40 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Recently my friends and I stayed here 5 nights for ACL. The hotel itself is nice, and we thoroughly enjoyed the downstairs bar and bartenders, especially one of the female bartenders (can't remember her name) who was a great mixologist and introduced us to several new drinks - thanks for recommending the New York Sour!!
The problem came one night as my friends and I were returning to the room, and were immediately approached by the midnight shift manager (Michael Nance or Vance?), as well as a security guard, asking us to be quiet. This was fine, except we had literally just returned to our room and were not being loud by any means! The breaking point was when the security guard went as far as to point a taser gun at my friend, for no reason, as my friend was listening to what the manager was saying, which actually scared my friend. His behavior was completely ridiculous and I felt severely disrespected by this manager. I even went as far as to try and discuss this matter the following day with the manager, and he was completely unapolgetic and could have cared less. As a professional person, with a doctorate degree, I have to say that I don't conduct myself in childlike/careless manner, even when on vacation, and was upset to see myself and my friends treated in such a poor manner.
This was my first time staying at an Omni hotel, and while it was in a good location in Austin, I will probably choose to stay somewhere else next time after such threatening, uncalled for behavior.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thanks so much for your comments regarding our hotel. We do appreciate your positive notes. Unfortunately we have many guests who return to the hotel and create a disturbance or make noise and we respond to ask the guests in the noisy room to respect our other guests and quiet down. We often respond with a security officer. It should be noted that none of our security officers carry any weapons of any kind including tasers.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,958)

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The place is in a good location, and that is the last positive thing I will say about this dump. First you walk into the decor of Atlantic City 1993. Old, horrid decor, carpeting and design. If it is any indication the restaurant (That I wouldn't dare try) has blue water glasses on the tables. The rooms are worse. Time for a serious update! Besides that the bed and bedding. My wife and I both found the beds were awful! We both had back and neck issues for days after sleeping on them. If you have to stay here, bring an air mattress and use that. Also, I found it hard to sleep due to sever allergies. I found that strange, because outside I was fine, but when I got to the room my allergies acted up terribly. I investigated, and found dust on ledges, pictures, and giant clump of lint in the out blowing air ducts. There was a disgusting brown stain behind the toilets in the bathroom. Just filthy! When I brought it to a managers attention, he asked, "Would you like us to fix that?" I was in shock. Yes, I would like you to fix the feces stains, and unbreathable air in my room, if it's not too much trouble. The place is a dump, management is rude and clueless, old furnishings and appointments, and overall one of the worst hotels Ive had the displeasure of staying in. Never again Omni.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Floundered

Just for those who read this review...this guest brought 2 dogs into the hotel and did not notify our desk staff. While he was out for the evening we had to remove the barking dogs as they were disturbing other guests. He was quite angry that we had to speak to him as "his dogs never bark". When we spoke to him about this he threatened to write bad reviews on this and other sites. I personally addressed this guest and we even offered to care for his dogs while he went out the second night of his stay. Which we did.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stay at about 45 hotels per year for work and this is the best one. I have stayed here two different times and received a double upgrade for being a black status in Omni's to the executive floor. Room was amazing, two bathrooms, nice living room, huge shower, and my arrival gift of free wine and cheese. My coworker received the get fit suite, which had a gourmet kitchen and a exercise area with a full size treadmill facing a small flat screen TV.

The good:
Good fitness center
Comfy beds
Front desk staff is great and loyalty ambassador made sure I got my upgrade day of arrival.
Quiet.
Amazing location.
Nice rooftop pool (not for swimming, just for looks)

The bad:
To get to the fitness center you have to walk across the lobby and a restaurant.

***Note to people complaining about paying for wifi, no access to pool, etc. You are all really dumb, the Select Guest program is free to join and you instantly receive free wifi, access to pool, and 4 free drinks in the morning delivered to your door****

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you so much for your glowing review of our hotel. We're pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations in every way and appreciate your patronage as an Omni Hotels Select Guest Black Level Member. We look forward to welcoming you home during your next visit!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed at the Omni for 4 nights during October. The hotel is in a great location, a few blocks from the state capitol and the main nightlife area in downtown. Checkin was pretty rapid and efficient, although we weren't offered help with our bags (we had 5 between us!). The hotel room was great, really nice sized with some Texas touches, including a cowhide ottoman. The room had a massive TV, bed, and a standard bathroom (which was a little dark), standard wardrobe and a safe.
We had an outside facing room, which afforded great views of the city, but it did mean that you get the thump-thump noise from the bars overlooked by the hotel. Happily the hotel provides a sleep amenity kit, with eye mask and earplugs (we only had one set in our room though).
Internet access was available in the room, but at a charge of $10 per day. This was probably the only big downside, happily you can get free internet access by registering for the frequent guest club. Make sure you sign up on registration to avoid any surprises later.
We had purchased a package including lounge access, the lounge was great, breakfast options were good and afternoon happy hour was a real treat.
Parking is available at the hotel, $18 per 24h period.
The rooftop pool is a great facility, it's quiet in the morning, but watch out for bachelor parties later on in the afternoon. It's a pleasant place to while away the day.

I'd definitely come back to the Omni next time I'm in Austin.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Our apologies for the lapse in luggage service upon your arrival. We're pleased to learn you enjoyed your guestroom accommodations and would also like to welcome you to our Select Guest program. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

The worst experience of my life for many reasons...the main one is the ongoing lack of communication. That communication lacked from the front desk, from management, and from the accounting department which took five days to clear up why the charges were made to the wrong credit cards when they should have been charged to the school credit card. And Lord forbid you even talk about the state tax being removed since you are a school. Just communicate the right story and information. Spoke with three 'managers' and they all gave a different excuse, not reason, excuse. Five days later and 6 phone calls and finally it might be totally correct. We shall see! I do know that my staff will not be put through this again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

We are truely sorry for the credit card mix up on this account. There were 2 cards listed and an authorization was made on one and the other was charged on checkout. Attempts to reach this guest by our Asst. Director of Finance were not successful and the correct cards were charged 5 days after checkout. Unfortunately the school in question is not a tax exempt organization according to the state comptrollers office. A letter from that office was sent to this guest. We strive to always exceed our guests expectations. Sometimes we fall short and in this case we could have perfromed better.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

The wedding was great; we stayed in the hotel for about 4 nights. There were a few issues with cleanliness of one of the rooms and a long wait for food in the hotel restaurant, but the hotel went well above and beyond to make up for it. The people in my party were very impressed. I would highly recommend this hotel for its quality service and fantastic location. Neat rooftop pool, and great atmosphere. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for the valuable feedback regarding the issues you experienced during your stay while attending a wedding. We're pleased to hear that once reported, our staff members rectified these issues to your satisfaction. We hope you have the opportunity to return in the near future.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Omni is located right downtown - a $25 cab right from the airport. The atrium consists of glass roofed space between it and the large office building next door. This gives a light an airy feel during the day. At night I found it rather dark with small pools of light at the restaurant and reception etc. Check in was fast and friendly. Another reviewer mentioned a smell and when I arrived on my floor it seemed that the carpet had just been cleaned and large fans were being used to help dry it. I lucked out by getting a large corner room with views to the outside rather than the atrium. I was a little concerned to see a notice warning me that since Austin was the capitol of live music it may be noisy at the weekend and they would try and help if you complaints!
The room had some charming Texas touches - a leather chair with a cowhide-covered footstool, and some other elements of the decor. For once at a large chain hotel internet was fast and free. Good bathroom but a rather dark shower- plenty of hot water however, and good sizes shampoo bottles etc. Free coffee, although it took me a while to work out that you had to remove it from the closet and find a plug elsewhere.. All in all outlets were rather scarce especially near the nightstands. Good 32" flat screen TV with most of the usual channels.The linens were ironed and the bed was very comfortable. A nice touch was a bottle of spray starch in the closet with the iron. Concierge staff were very friendly and helpful. The state capitol is a few blocks away so very convenient for those in Austin on state business. The Omni offers a generous government discount as an additional bonus!

Room Tip: I preferred a view to the outside rather than the atrium. Be warned however these may be noisier at...
1  Thank Adrian G
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

We appreciate you taking time to post the highlights of your stay. We're pleased to hear that your visit was pleasurable and you found your accommodations to be clean and comfortable. We hope to see you again soon!