“Fun Downtown Austin Experience”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #43 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed October 4, 2012

While I live in Austin, sometimes it's nice to not need a car. We had a friend's band playing at Headhunters, and we knew it would be a late night. We found a great deal on the web for the Omni, especially for a Friday night. At check in we requested to have room on a high floor if possible. Even though we'd booked at a ridiculously low rate, they immediately gave us a room on a top level floor with a balcony. We needed to make a quick trip to the liquor store & weren't sure how fast we'd be able to walk, so the valet directed us to a pedicab. It was quick, easy, and kinda fun. We went to some fun/weird bars on Red River. We even stumbled upon a Steampunk event complete with a brass band. After our friend's concert we took the very easy walk back to the hotel. We spent the rest of the night just watching all the action on 6th street (from our balcony!) as well as the 2-3AM round up of all the people who had too much fun.

Every Omni staff member was wonderful & accommodating. We were treated very well even though we were last minute bargain shoppers. My only wish is that the rooftop pool was open later at night. We took a quick look in the morning, and it looked like it could have been a lot of fun. We will definitely return (bargain rate or not). It was a great experience, and a perfect location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding the customer service of our staff and our central location. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience and look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Omni Austin Hotel Downtown

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Upon entering this hotel you are faced with a 20 floor high atrium. It has the hotel rooms on one side and offices on the other. Feels like an enclosed courtyard. There is no heat or A/C so would be hot in midsummer and could be cool in winter.
Definitely worth joining the Select Guest loyalty program. Includes free Wi-Fi, complimentary drink in the morning, shoe shine, 2 items pressed per guest per night and newspaper.
Just 2 blocks from the famous 6th St and close to the rest of downtown.
Fantastic buffet breakfast (not included) have never seen such an array of good food in a hotel. Gluten free options, real butter, healthy muffins, the best granola we have ever tasted, fruit, oatmeal, omelettes prepared to order. All for $15.50. The food overall is excellent as were the drinks at the bar.
Fitness center off the atrium is adequate, nothing special. The pool on the roof however, is really cute, 45 feet by 10 feet, heated and stainless steel. Great view of the city and a nice quiet space, at least when we were there. Doesn't seem to get used much.
One in our party didn't like their room so they were upgraded to one of the executive suites (on floors 16 to 20) at no extra charge, now that is service.
Luxurious, comfortable and affords a very pleasant stay.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just stayed at the Omni for the weekend. The service was consistently friendly. The location is perfect for both walking around downtown and driving anywhere you need. The hotel and rooms are similar to other hotels of that caliber - the Hiltons, Marriotts, and Sheratons of the world. What really made a difference for me (and this is both a commentary on this hotel and the Omni brand in general) were the perks that let me enjoy the hotel without feeling nickel-and-dimed. I joined Select Guest and received free wifi (nobody should charge for this, but let's face it, usually the nicer the hotel the more they try and charge), free morning beverage delivery, free pressing and a free shoeshine. I especially enjoyed the surprise complimentary mini-muffins brought with our breakfast drinks one morning. These aren't expensive perks, but as a non-elite status traveler, were greatly appreciated.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank jraphs070
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

We appreciate your positive comments regarding your recent visit. We're pleased to have you as a member of our Select Guest Program and hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again in the very near future.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I'm staying at the Omni now. It is as everyone says, clean, comfortable and beautiful. The staff is friendly and helpful. Sign up for the Omni special guest card. It's free and comes with great perks. I got a lovely tray of coffee in a thermal carafe, juice and cold water bottles at my door this morning. My husband did as well. He is going to take advantage of the free shoe shine, too. They forgot the newspaper, but that's okay. They also have water bottles in the room when you arrive if you sign up. One minor problem is the dark shower. Once you pull that curtain, you will be in the dark. Another minor problem is you can hear the hall noises, doors closing and opening, more than other nice hotels. I always take a little white noise machine, so it doesn't bother me. Note...the parking garage entrance is at the front of the hotel. It's a little tricky checking in, but manageable.

1  Thank clas1

Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedback regarding your stay. We appreciate your patronage and welcome you to our Select Guest program.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed while attending the Republic of Texas motorcycle rally. The hotel is located downtown about a block away from 6th street. It is also within walking distance of the state Capitol.
The staff was great. I was contacted about a week before my stay and asked if I any requests. I had several things in mind and the staff was very helpful with suggestions.
When we arrived, check-in was quick. Everything I requested was honored. I always ask for an upper floor room.
The room was not large but it was comfortable. The restroom was large with a walk-in shower.
The pool is on the roof. It is small but the view is great.
The staff was very informative about the restaurants within the immediate area and made several suggestions which were great suggestions.
We are looking forward to next year motorcycle rally and will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and facilities. We look forward to your next stay with us during the 2013 ROT Rally!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed at the Omni Hotel in downtown Austin during the last week in June 2012 as part of my job duties while attending the NACADA Summer Institute, which was hosted at the hotel and the adjoining meeting space. Let me just say that the Omni provides a wonderful home away from home. One of the nicest features of the hotel is that once a person joins the Omni loyalty program, the benefits begin immediately. A guest is given order forms to hang outside the room each evening, so that the staff brings the guest his or her favorite beverage the next morning, served with the appropriate condiments and a fresh mini-muffin, to enjoy while reading the newspaper. Also, turn-down service is provided each night.
This property is clean and classy, with fresh floral arrangements in the lobby each morning. These little touches reminded me that I was staying in a first rate place. I found the bedding to be quite comfy, which is important since I stayed in that room for six nights. I also enjoyed having a room with an outside view. It was very pleasant to see the twinkling lights of downtown Austin each night. The staff were all very pleasant and accommodating. Maybe I am easily impressed, but I thoroughly enjoyed my hot tea with milk and sugar each morning. Although the Omni is a little above my usual price range, I am very happy that I was able to stay there for my work-related trip. I do plan to use the Omni chain again, as the opportunities arise, and I certainly highly recommend the downtown Austin location. One more thing: the bar in the hotel serves some really tasty freshly-made potato chips which my friends and I enjoyed a couple of times after returning from late night activites. Have fun!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thank you very much for posting your feedback! We are thrilled that your stay exceeded your expectations. Our goal is to make all of our guests feel like they are home while away from home. We appreciate your patronage and thank you for joining our Select Guest program. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I've stayed here a number of times - the location is perfect for downtown, the rooms are comfortable and well-appointed, and it has all the regular perks of an Omni (free morning beverages for Select Guest is my favorite). The nightly parking rate is competitive for hotels in the area. The central atrium is magnificent and I'd recommend stopping by the bar for some good drinks and food. You can see the Capitol building from some of the rooms (some of the views are much less glamorous) but it's worth asking upon check-in. Overall, if you're staying in the area you can't really go wrong with the Omni.

Room Tip: The rooms facing into the atrium are often a little quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thank you again for taking time to speak with me regarding your recent stay and for posting your positive comments. We appreciate your business as a Select Guest Member and look forward to your upcoming visit in the near future.