“Very Good Location, Very Good Hotel”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #42 of 203 Hotels in Austin
New York City, New York
“Very Good Location, Very Good Hotel”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

If you're looking for an above average hotel in close proximity to Sixth Street and the bars of Austin, the Omni is a great option. I was there for a business conference and the facilities were great and catered food a notch or two above standard hotel cuisine. The rooms were quiet, well appointed and had comfortable beds and pillows.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
GenMgrAustin, General Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Thank you for the very positive review of our hotel. We appreciate the comments. I will share your review with our culinary team. They do work hard to provide an experience above the normal hotel cuisine.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Indonesian first
Dunn, North Carolina
Reviewed July 18, 2012

What I loved: Fabulously comfortable bed, amazing food service at our meeting (Caprese salad with Mozzarella, tomato, & watermelon?! Who knew that could be sooo good?), thick towels, and pretty neat rooftop pool. OH, and the concierge who directed me to a quick drive location for a pedicure before a business dinner. It was not a high-brow-spa kind of place (which were all booked), but the same kind of place I can find at home--walk right in & quick pedi for $25-$30. Gotta love that.

What could have been better: Meeting room was much too cold for most of our time there, and room Wi-Fi was difficult to get onto the first time, & still not as easy as it could have been subsequent times. Also, my very late night arrival seemed to stump the clerk, whom I can only assume was new. It took much too long for my check-in, and I was the only one checking in at that time. He did have support--the desk was adequately staffed, but I don't recall him asking for help; probably because I was standing there half asleep, too tired to ask why it was taking so long.

My colleagues who booked the Omni for our meeting get "A Point" for this one. Great meeting, great facility, great restaurants & live music while in Austin.

Room Tip: I had a high floor room with an interior view... there was natural light, but I was never in the roo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the very positive review of our hotel. We do hope you return to see us soon.
York, PA
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed here on a Business Trip and I was very happy with the Hotel and the Staff. I had a room on the 10th floor which was high enough above the street that I was not bothered by the late night crowd returning from the bars and Honkey Tonks on 6th Street. The room was always clean, fresh and maid service was excellent.

I visited the bar in the lobby with friends from another company and it was a pleasant place to have a beer and to talk. The beer was a little expensive but that is the case in most hotels so I was not surprised one bit.

The food on the breakfast buffet was very good and the fruit was fresh and sweet. The omlets were out of sight. Service was excellent and each day I had Nathan as a server. Nathan was especially efficient and he greeted me with a cheery good morning which I appreciated. Nathan kept checking back with me to make sure that I was OK with everything. Price for the full buffet was $15 and well worth it. You can get a take out breakfast but I am not sure what the price on that is. I did see quite a few people taking advantage of that offering.

The concierge staff was very accomodating and they were extremely well informed about what is going on and how to get there.

Price of the room was negotiated by the company running the show I was attending so the price of $104 per night was probably not the norm.

All in all, great place to stay with a great staff.

Room Tip: I would get a room on the highest floor I could in order to avoid the noise from the 6th street crow...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for the 2nd time recently. The staff is always friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean and nicely furnished, The hotel is in a convenient location to downtown attractions. Valet parking available but the fee is a little steep. My room was very nice however the a/c fan was rather loud otherwise my stay would have been better. The bed was a little soft for me but comfortable.

Room Tip: Higher rooms with a city view are nice
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lucrna
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 16, 2012

First impression when i walked into the hotel was, "it's gorgeous!" But....First problem, I was traveling with a co-worker for a weekend get away from work and we asked for a double bed room. That was denied. We were given a king size room, not acceptable. The front desk said the hotel had no double rooms left, they were all booked. I mean really, all of them? Then she said she will ask her manager if there is anything that can be done. She stepped into the back for a minute and came back and said, "no, I'm sorry, we are full tonight and you are only staying for two nights." And? I kept quiet because I just wanted to relax and bit my tongue and said fine. My co worker was not pleased. Then the front desk also said something like, "oh and since you reserved through a third party it is not guaranteed you will get a double bed room anyway." Wow, really? I guess we have no right to request since we purchased through, " third party". So who is second party??? Next problem, although the room was very nice, the shower was annoyingly loud. Once I turned on the shower head, it made this very loud nails on a chalk board noise. And no vent was in the bathroom so it would get very humid fast. Third, we did not get to enjoy the rooftop pool since it's so tiny and all the lounge chair were taken. Forth, the room was really hot, we put the AC on high fan and at 60 degrees to no avail. I am really cold natured so for 60 degrees to feel hot to me, there was definitely a problem. Fifth, the worst, the walls are super thin! I seriously heard my neighbors having sex!! Although it lasted for like 2 minutes, it was so annoying that I was able to hear this. I was actually able to hear their whole conversation when I was in the bathroom or in the hallway of the room on my way out. I also noticed there was a door with a lock opposite the bathroom (to neighbors wall) which probably leads to the thier room, connecting door maybe?? Weird. I loved the fact that it so close to everything you would want to see in Austin, but I will not stay here again when I visit. So sad, I thought I was staying at a 4 star hotel. I've had better experiences at 3 star hotels but I wanted to have a glam weekend at a fab hotel with a rooftop pool, fail.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cin P
Fort Worth
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed in a Suite. Was not disturbed by any noise all night. Room was clean and up to date. Great view of the Capitol. Food was very good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChaChaFortWorth
Fort Worth
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were very impressed by the level of service at the Omni Austin Downtown! We had to bring our little puppy and everyone just loved her there! They brought her lots of goodies and her own bowls and mat. We were upgraded to an Executive Suite that have recently been redone. It was just gorgeous and felt like we were at home. They have a wonderful location just a block away from sixth street and in walking distance to the capitol. The room was so clean and there was actually a party in a room next door. We couldn't even hear them so the walls are very thick and we slept great in the very comfy beds!! Can't wait to go again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple