“Mutton dressed as Lamb"”

Omni Austin Hotel Downtown
Ranked #40 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed April 6, 2011

The Omni is nicely decorated and the rooms are clean, if sparsely supplied, but I expected much more for the price. The toiletries in the bathroom were not replaced after the first night, power outlets on the desk were hard to locate (on the edge of the desk, black on black), the bath towels were thin and well worn, and the lobby seemed to be a hangout for locals using WiFi. Even on the 11th floor, the music on 6th Street was audible at night.

Most oddly, a sign in the lobby prohibits non-residents after 10:30 pm, so our daughter couldn't visit our room. Apparently this place must have been "party central" at some time.

Even at over $300/night, they charge another $18 to park!

There must be better places in Austin, but believe me, they fill up fast, so book early.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2011

Thank you for your review of the Omni Austin Hotel Downtown. We are glad that you decided to stay with us and apologize that you found our Good Nights Rest policy inconvenient, however as our hotel is very near 6th street, we want to ensure that those staying at our hotel are able to have a good nights rest with no distractions. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,958)

Reviewed April 5, 2011

The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and well stocked with supplies.

• Stayed: April 2011

Thank you for your great review of the hotel. We are glad you chose to stay with us here in Downtown Austin and enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms.

Reviewed April 3, 2011

Booked a suite for a romantic weekend to celebrate our anniversary. The room they gave us had ripped carpet, poorly equipped kitchette, cigarette burns in the carpet and smelled horrible. They then sprayed the carpet with freshner but that only burned our eyes. Could not give us another suite nor would make other arrangements. The manager admitted she would not want to stay in that room. They eventually moved us to a standard room that had been updated, but the mood was lost and the trip a disaster.

• Stayed: April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Omni in Austin. I apologize that the suite was not up to the standard of our hotel. These suites are planned for renovation, and once complete will be a great addition to the Omni Austin Downtown. Thank you for your feedback, and we hope to see you back with us again soon.

Reviewed March 29, 2011

The Austin Omni Downtown was the dirtiest, nastiest hotel experience I think I've ever had. I was in Austin for 4 days for a conference, and booked a room at the Omni. Let me share with you how their website described their rooms at the time of booking: "... contemporary Texas decor, including dark woods and crown molding ... spacious bathroom with granite vanity and lighted makeup mirror ...." The Omni Austin Hotel Downtown's website summed up it's rooms as "Texas hospitality meets cosmopolitan elegance in Austin's bustling downtown." I paid $250/night - but with all that, how could I possibly go wrong? Well ... please see for yourself - I'm attaching photos of the room that I took with my iPhone.

The room was unbelievably disgusting, but it doesn't quite tell the whole story. Worth noting was the noise. I'd specifically requested a higher floor when, at check in, Murphy the desk clerk asked me if I was a light sleeper, and notified me that "sometimes the rooms can get pretty noisy with street noise." I figured the hotel must take it's guests' needs for a quiet night's sleep seriously when, in addition to the desk clerk's noise warning, I passed curious signs at the elevator on my way up to the room that instructed "NO UNAUTHORIZED GUESTS IN GUEST ROOMS" and "NO PARTIES IN GUEST ROOMS." Well, again I was wrong. I was placed on the 18th floor, but that made no difference. Not only was the street noise loud, but there were at least 5 or 6 people screaming and cheering in the room next to mine until well after midnight (when I finally had to call the front desk for help).

Not all elevators were functional during my 4 day stay, and one of the functioning elevators routinely malfunctioned (call buttons didn't work - didn't matter what floor you wanted or whether you needed to go up or down, it ignored all call requests and would not take passengers to the 1st floor lobby, causing us all to have to use the stairs). Carpet in the elevator was faded, delaminated, dirty and frayed (c'mon, Omni, how much does it really cost to replace a 6'x6' square of carpet?). Parking is $25/day to use valet service (not including tip).

In addition to the photos, which pretty much speak for themselves, I found that the overall cleanliness of the hotel is bad. REALLY bad. I didn't want to touch anything in that room. The Omni's idea of a hygienically suitable setup for your morning coffee is to put a few packets of splenda and a single stir stick, all unwrapped, in a tray next to a coffee cup. Whose fingers (or worse) have touched that stuff before me??

The desk clerk did admit to me that some rooms have been renovated, but he quickly followed up with the disclaimer that "but the only things that are new are the carpet and the decor on the walls." When I mentioned the dirty state of the room, he quipped "well the same housekeeping staff cleans all the rooms." That, I thought, was important enough to share with you if you're thinking of renting a room at this hotel.

The first night at the Omni, when I saw the room and brought my dissatisfaction up to the staff, I received ZERO apology and ZERO accomodation ("we don't have any other room we can give you, we're at capacity"). It seemed to me as though there staff routinely hear these objections and are trained to spit out canned responses, with a touch of indifference mixed in. Couldn't find another room at any other hotel ... they were all booked.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank RoxxinTampa

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I apologize that this room is not up to the standards that we have set for ourselves as well as those which you ad coming to our hotel. We have completed the renovation of our Deluxe and Club rooms, and our suites are next to be renovated. We hope that you will be able to come and visit us after this is complete and see the true side of the Omni Austin Hotel. Thank you and safe travels.

Reviewed March 29, 2011

The Good:
-Amazing gym - loads of equipment, free weights, balls, machines, TVs + headphones, towels, etc.
-Location - steps from 6th street
-Rooms - nice. Bed comfortable. No bed-bugs from what I could see.
-Roof-top pool - free towels, nice loungers, can order drinks by using cell-phone to call front desk (but no roof-top bar unfortunately).
-Breakfast buffet - $15 gets you bottomless drinks and food. the food is really tasty, and there is an Omlette chef!

The Bad:
-Gym access means walking in-front of hotel lobby, offices (the building shares an atrium with an office) and restaurant in your gym kit - might make some people feel a bit self-conscious.
-Bathroom in the Room - extremely dark - once the shower curtain is pulled across, its very dark in the shower.
-Lifts - VERY slow and VERY frustrating. You can be waiting for 10 minutes or more for a lift, especially at checkout. Allow extra time to get downstairs, especially if on a lower floor. We attempted to take the stairwell, but it sets off the fire alarm if you try to exit the building, so don't try that!
-Pool - unfortunately it doesn't face downtown, so the view is not spectacular. However unlike the Hilton in Austin, this pool is not blocked by tall buildings so has full sun access all day.
-Parking is $18 per day

I would definitely stay here again, overall it was a great stay. Seems like the hotel attracts a lot of younger guests staying for wedding weekends or upscale batchelor parties, noise wasn't really an issue, however the pool was VERY busy with people drinking (however no-body was mis-behaving, they weren't louts). It didn't bother us, but maybe not suitable for everybody.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

Thank you very much for your review of the hotel, and we are very pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. While it is always great to hear the positive feedback, it is important to hear of any issues in the process to ensure that we can correct them for future stays. We hope you are able to return and visit us again soon!

Reviewed March 27, 2011

Simply the worst $250/night hotel room I've ever seen. Hotel staff and management are unaccommodating, and worse still, unapologetic. Avoid this place.

• Stayed: March 2011

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay in Austin. I have sent you a message through TripAdvisor to help better understand the concerns you had with your stay to ensure we can address them for future guests, and hopefully a return visit for you!

Reviewed March 11, 2011

Stayed for two nights on the 19th. floor in a 2 bedroom suite. It was huge, clean and had great views. Water pressure was fine. Happy to have a full sized kitchen. Staff was very friendly (maid & concierge). Got our complimentary coffee/juice every morning delivered to our room at the time we asked. It was hard to sleep because we caught the music from 6th. street until 1 or 2 am...course it WAS the night before Fat Tuesday and then Fat Tuesday. Just ask for a quiet room facing a different street. This hotel is within walking distance of great restaurants, shopping and nightlife. Did not use pool, bar or restaurant so cannot comment on that. Parking was expensive like it always is in downtown areas-rip off.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2011

Thank you very much for staying with us here in Austin Downtown! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do continue to survey the parking costs are in line with other downtown locations. We hope that whenever you return to Austin you are able to come back and visit us again!