“Bad Customer Service-Even Worse Accomodations and Food”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #95 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas
“Bad Customer Service-Even Worse Accomodations and Food”
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Well--we had our wedding reception at Sheraton Austin. 150 guests from all over the state and country and it was HORRIBLE!!! The wedding coordinator was nowhere to be found most of the time and they failed miserably in coordinating various aspects of the reception, including the limo to transport the bride and the shuttle to transport the guests. The event was understaffed and our guests were left waiting for food and in long lines at the bar. When the food was finally served it was not edible . . . they served raw pork and several guests got violently ill. They sell you on their service and good food and fail miserably on delivering what was promised. Lastly we blocked rooms for our out of town guests and many complained about bad customer service at the front desk and many had to wait for hours before they could check in. Some families did not get the rooms they had booked and had to split up among rooms with their kids. As the bride and groom we had a room at the hotel and the service and room was horrible. When we checked in the room was a mess. The bathroom was dirty and did not have towels. We had to call housekeeping three times before they brought us toilet paper. I would run far away from this place.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 21, 2010

The hotel staff at this property is very attentive, courteous and friendly. The rooms are clean and the value for the rate is better than similar hotels located in the vicinity. The property is conveniently located in a safe area and within walking distance to pubs and restaurants. The lounge has great ambience especially when the hotel is more than 50 percent occupied.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Portland
Reviewed September 5, 2010

This hotel is up on 11th and not near anything. In summer weather, you don't want to be out hiking it 6 blocks or so to get anywhere.

The hotel underwent a major renovation a couple years ago, and while the lobby is nice looking the rooms are still dated....complete with low popcorn ceilings.

No Platinum SPG upgrade. Front desk also forgot to give us our b'fast vouchers since we bought a package that included b'fast. They said they would bring them up but two hours later we've not seen them.

This is an average hotel at best. Thankfully we only paid $100/night. I wouldn't want to pay more, especially to be in this location. Homeless shelter is a few blocks away so a number of colorful people in the neighborhood.

The club room food service doesn't start until 6 pm in the evening! Big deal, it's limited service isn't worth the wait.

Sheraton should drop management on this property because it doesn't do them any favors, or at least rebrand it with a lesser quality name. I would hate to be a manager saddled with this property.

We're here in the middle of a magicians conference which has well over 300 rooms blocked. Quite frankly when a conference as large as this books the hotel, they take over and it was a huge disservice to book other guests, unless you're into packed lobbies with magicians of varying qualities and levels or craftsmanship all talking about the newest card tricks or the barrels of their trick canes. They even had "magic camp" for the kiddies in the group. Whoopee, I would have just as soon booked myself into a clown convention.

Austin is a great city with lots to see and do. We'll definitely be back, but not in this hotel even for $100/night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I stayed at the Sheraton Austin in April and August 2010. The two experiences were very different. Based on my most recent experience, I am not sure I'll be back.

August 2010 Experience---Upon entry to my Club Level room, I immediately noticed a strong mold/mildew smell. I called down to the front desk and asked for another room. The front desk told me that the hotel was sold out but they could spray air freshener. I said that spraying wouldn't address the underlying mold/mildew problem and they were silent. The bed was comfortable. The overall hotel is worn and needs updating. I have serious concerns about the mold/mildew and am not sure I'll be back.

April 2010 Experience--Nice room, great service. The room was clean and my overall impression was very positive.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Houston
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I am actually quite disappointed with my stay at Sheraton Austin. I am SPG gold, and stayed in many SPG hotels and other non SPG hotels... this one is probably the top of my list that I will not stay here again!

We did self parking, which is $17, quite expensive... but not a big deal.

Checkin: We checked in late, and we booked a king size bed room, there was no upgrade offered to us. They didn't put us at the club level. We were on the 14th SPG floor.. which is fine... it is what it is...

The room: The bed in there do not look like a king size bed... We have a king at home from W hotel, and it is way bigger.... The room are small. The bathroom was kind of dirty with several pieces of hair in the sink, shower and even the toilet seat... It is late, so whatever... don't feel like going downstair to compliant... it is only one night... Okay.. jump into the shower... oh gee... the water was luke warm at the hottest level!!!! Gee... what is wrong.... took a quick shower and went to bed...

THE PROBLEM: Damn, at 3 am, some really drunk guys are yelling outside our doors!!! That lasted for about 5 minutes or so... damn... they were SMOKING outside our doors!!! I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke... It is a SPG floor... and have drunks yelling and smoking... that's just no good..

The Breakfast: Since we can't get a good nite sleep, we woke up early, at around 8, we went downstair to have breakfast which is included in our rate. The breakfast was okay, but the ommelet station didn't open til the end of our breakfast.... and no one tell us to wait to have ommelets... Not great.. just okay..

Overall, I will not recommend this to anyone.... horrible experience...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 12, 2010

The hotel has a friendly and helpful staff and the location is good but sometimes it's the little things.

My toilet seat wouldn't stay up, my bathtub/shower drained slowly, the windows were dirty on the outside, the full length mirror was in a lame location that rendered it useless and there was no overhead light in the bedroom area, just a popcorn ceiling and smoke detector.

Although clean and with OK beds, the property seems a bit dated and tired, definitely the bottom end of the Starwood chain.

If the price is right, go for it, but don't spend more than $150/night.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
calto, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, August 6, 2010
Thank you for your recent review of the Sheraton Austin. At Sheraton we view feedback as a gift...one that we can learn, coach and grow from. I was quite pleased to hear of how you felt about our team.

As you mentioned, however, it is indeed the little things that add up to create a negative experience.

I have reviewed your experience with my team. While I was pleased to hear that we were friendly and helpful, we need to ensure we get the details right each and every time.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.
texas
Reviewed May 28, 2010

I would recommend this hotel to guests that needed something in town. We were within walking distance to 6th street (party and restaurant area). Easiest hotel I have ever had to get to. Right off the highway. Be prepared to pay $25 / day for valet or $16.50 per day for self parking.

The hotel is not "pretty" to look at inside or out. They have plenty of staff on hand.
My roll away was not in my room when I checked in. I could not find a luggage cart anywhere. It was very clean in our room except some mildew in the shower corners. The decor in the rooms were very nice- more than I expected. The view from the SPG room was beautiful. It was quiet where we were on the 14th floor. The rooms were slightly small.

We ate the breakfast buffet at $12 per person. We were the first ones there at 7am and the only ones there when we left. The buffet was very good but traditional. The wait staff was cordial and friendly- even let me take some buffet food home with us.

The best part was the pool. They have a indoor swim under outdoor pool and a jacuzzi. Outside at night- music from the bars was playing and was very nice to listen too. My younger daughter loved the pool!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business