“horrible stay. better to go somewhere else !! save your money!”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #103 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 21, 2008

15 dollar parking in small garage, staff horrible, no carts for luggage, ALL anemities closed for renovations, gave us wrong room, local call charges, DIRTY rooms with stains on bedspreads, smelled like puke through out hallway, staff did not care about any problems and gave apathetic textbook answers all the way up. They say newly renovated, but its not...its renovating. You pay for a small room and an outdoor pool and pay to park.save your money and stay at any inn with a pool.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed September 25, 2008

I recently stayed at this hotel for two nights for a conference, my first time to stay at this hotel.

The hotel is very convenient to the airport, right on I35 and next to the road to the airport. From I35 you can get just about anywhere quickly.

The hotel is older, and it shows in places. However, major renovations are underway. In fact, the new lobby was being "unwrapped" and open for business as I checked out. It looked very nice!

I had a Corner King Room, and I highly recommend it. Nice view of the Capitol dome, and plenty of space. My only complaint was noise from outdoors entertainment on nearby sixth street. I was on the 7th floor and it might be worth it to request a higher floor. That said, it didn't seem to go late enough to prevent good sleep for me.

One thing I want to compliment is the service. It was close to the best I have ever experienced in a hotel stay! Staff seemed very interested in being helpful and accommodating. The concierge, in particular, was wonderful. Kudos to the group for working extra hard on customer service!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We just got back from a two night stay at the Sheraton. We paid $119 a night. I think it was discounted due to the fact that there is some remodeling going on in the lobby area. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The self parking was $15 a night or valet is $25 a night. The location is great and right next to I-35. We were on the 12th floor so we didn't hear the freeway.

The only negatives were that at night it didn't seem very safe walking around. We walked to 6th street. The other negative was that they only gave us two bath towels per day. If you take more than one shower and get your towel dirty then you have to call for more towels. I think they should give you at least 4 bath towels to start with.

Overall though, for the price and location it was great. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2008

In these days of increased competition, I think the Sheraton Austin is missing key advantages of the hotel in it's website. Here are some possibly overlooked suggestions for the future:

1. Smaller carbon footprint!
Even though its 106 outside, it's nice to have the room air conditioning restricted so it can't get cool in the room. No sense in being too comfortable! It was also nice that one could not plug in a desk lamp, coffee maker and computer at the same time so energy use would not be excessive. I felt really eco-friendly here! Thanks!

2. Uncommon courtesy!
It's unusually courteous to have my car door opened by valet every time. Most places open my wife's car door first, but this place really got it right and left her to fend for herself--each time, every time. I felt very special!

3. No bugs in my room!
It was great to see the only roaches out by the snack machine at the pool. Truly, I didn't see a single one in my room! By the way, the ones I saw by the exercise room and the pool were dead, but I'm not sure if that was from boredom with the snack machine choices or some intervention on behalf of the hotel. Either way, I felt safe they wouldn't follow me up the elevator to my room!

4. No smarmy concierge!
It was great to have the concierge desk replaced by a computer kiosk with restaurant recommendations and the like. No need to talk to a smiling person that might try to figure out your needs in this big convention town, it's easier to push a screen and guess rather than have to fight for attention! Thanks, Sheraton!

5. Easy access!
It was fantastic to be able to walk in an out of every meeting room at 11pm at night when everyone was gone. I was able to check on all the digital projectors and TVs to make sure they would work the next day...and no hassle waiting for security, either! With the doors unlocked, and no employees around to bother me, it was a snap! Nice touch!

6. Great burger in room service!
No...really...the burger in room service was great!

7. Exfoliating bed linens!
My wife said her skin has never been as soft or supple as after a night of sleeping on these sheets. She says it beats being pounded by two burly German women with loofah bats! Sure, some would call them sandpaper-like, but the benefits of easy exfoliation, without a spa charge, is hard to beat. My wife also says morning moisturizer is a must to complete the Sheraton In Room Spa experience!

I hope this helps the Sheraton up their marketing game. Honestly, I've read the website and I don't see any of these great pluses mentioned.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank Diegodad2
Reviewed July 6, 2008

Interested in this property mainly for being dog friendly. Confirmed this over the phone but phone agent neglected to mention size restrictions (40 lbs) and that the dog must be with you at all times (you can't leave it in the room by itself). These details were listed on their website but we went off the agent's description and booked prior to reviewing the policy on the website. There was easy 5 min. parking in the front of the hotel near valet. Check in was easy - agent mentioned "is dog less than 60lbs?" (conflict of policy again) - and we received a $15/night parking pass. Note on parking: we continued to have to get tickets every time to enter the parking lot. The attendant sees your parking pass and lets you leave without fee each time. Seems like a waste of tickets to me. The attendant was also only there about 50% of the time (arm left open when he was gone). Hotel was very dog friendly in terms of space for them to walk around outside and there were dogs everywhere at the property. Requested room during reservation that faced lake; rec'd freeway view. No problem there. Room itself felt very drab and dated - lacked color. There were contemporary furnishings but textiles really blew the design and were just sad feeling. The bed was slightly "crunchy" - the coils crunched every time we sat on the edge. Otherwise, comfortable to sleep in. Bathroom was nice: the tub looks like it had recently been retiled (grout was very clean) but tile floor seemed very old - dirty grout, slight black mold, wallpaper peeling at tile. The location itself was convenient for driving around downtown but in 95+ degree weather walking 1.5 miles to campus was out of the question. For the same price I'd prefer hotels a little closer to the lake or 6th St.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stooksk
Reviewed June 23, 2008

This former Marriott has an interesting lay out, with lobby arrival area on the 3rd floor. On the ground floor, there is a indoor, outdoor pool in a park like setting. The food and service are fine. The bar scene is mainly middle aged white guys visiting on convention, waiting to go out on 6th Street. The rooms with 2 double beds are a little cramped.

Sheraton Austin is not near the action along Lady Bird (Aka Town Lake) or 6th Street. It is not a long trip to these spots. The main reason to stay here is for the Starwood points and usually there are promotions on spg.com to stay here. A two night stay scored more than 1700 points.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Starwooded
Reviewed June 23, 2008

I stayed at the Sheraton Austin for a convention and let me just say, their valet parking guys are THE rudest ever! Not ONCE, did they open my car door. My colleague, a man, was waited on like royalty, and I was totally ignored...for several days, three and four times a day-! Their lack of attention to any assistance added up to a large sum of rudeness in my mind.
The lobby is really cool. Could have done without the large, should I say, "Texas-sized" roach down by the indoor pool/work out room and vending machine area...made me feel a little uneasy. OBTW....the roach was there for two days...makes me think about their cleaning habits.
The room was nice, but with outside temperatures exceeding 100, the air conditioner was challenged to keep the room cool. And talk about noise, that unit sounded like a small freight train- so a good night sleep was hard to come by. The front desk staff were always VERY nice, so at least you can count on that...maybe they should park cars too!
Overall, it was good- but not up to Starwood caliber I think. I'll go to the Hyatt next time.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business