“Not worth the price”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fall River, Massachusetts, United States
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I've read some awful reviews about this hotel but it really wasn't as bad as I expected. It wasn't great, by any means, but it served its purpose. I basically just needed a place to lay my head at night. The view from my room wasn't very pretty but, apparently, you can see the Capitol from some rooms. It's within walking distance of the Capitol and 6th Street, which is awesome. I guess I thought that the Sheraton was a swanky hotel but this is pretty much like any standard hotel I have been to. Some of their front desk associates aren't very pleasant or efficient at checking guests in. This was my first time visiting Texas so I was really surprised that I was not greeted with warm, Southern Hospitality. It was also a maze getting to my room. A big negative for me was coming back to the room at around 3pm after my conference had ended and wanting to unwind but finding that my room was JUST getting cleaned. When I came back in the room, my bed was sloppily made and I had some towels with stains on them (there was also a weird stain in the bathroom but that was already there). I wouldn't rule out staying here again if I had to...but it's definitely not my first choice.

Room Tip: Your best bet is probably to ask if you want a room with a view or if you don't want to be by th...
Green Features: The rules are unclear. I wouldn't have minded my sheets not being changed but, on the card, it says that if you hang the card on your door, housekeeping would also not replenish your towels, coffee, or bathroom amenities.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dave B, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear Tonya,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We deeply apologize that you did find our property to be up to par and receive the service that met your expectations. We are sorry that your room was serviced at a later time than normal; due to the size of our hotel, our housekeepers work well into the evening to do their best to clean the rooms in a timely manner. On your next visit, please let us know that time you would like your room to be serviced and we will happily honor your request. I will follow up with Housekeeping as well as the Front Desk to make sure that these issues will not happen again. We value every guest that shares their experience with us in Austin and we want every guest to leave satisfied. We are very happy that you found our property to be placed in a convenient location for you and we would love to have you as our guest again.

SheratonSA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Wichita Falls, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed again at the Sharaton 4/227 - 4/30/14. My business colleague picked the location; we had stayed there before; and I have stayed there many times of the last 15+ years.

I was really disappointed!!!
1. the room wasn't cleaned - mentioned it and still wasn't really cleaned (Bathroom toilet, replace dirty glasses, new coffee supplies)
2. Mentioned it on the way out as I checked out at 4 am to drive to another appointment and the desk clerk offered to credit my rewards points or have the supervisor call me. I elected to have the supervisor call me and shared that I was very disappointed at the state of the maid service for the $300/night price. The desk agent said the supervisor would call me.

I am still waiting BUT NO CALL

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Jack,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am so sorry that your room was not cleaned properly. I am following up with our Housekeeping Manager to investigate what exactly happened. I am also emailing you directly to follow up with you. I hope we can find some sort of resolution to the issues you experienced. I will work to do my best to ensure that you are 100% satisfied. Our goal is to ensure that you return and choose the Sheraton as your home away from home.

All the best,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My first trip to Austin over Easter weekend and my wife and I received an extremely friendly welcome at the hotel despite our late arrival. I wish I could remember the guy on reception's name but he managed to find a room for us on the top floor with a fantastic view of the capitol building. He also gave us a lot of help and advice as well as making sure we know when and where breakfast was served, something almost all reception staff in the SPG desk seem to omit these days.

We opted to eat breakfast in the restaurant instead of the lounge and again the staff went above and beyond. All waiting staff and the restaurant manager took time to chat to us and to make us feel welcome. I don't know if we had luck of the draw or it's that famed Southern hospitality but the staff here are great. The food was of a good standard above average for Sheraton. We also enjoyed that some dishes varied from day to day.

The hotel is convenient for downtown Austin within easy walking distance of most of things on our must-see list and there's enough distance for you to burn off some of that BBQ.

Reviews here say the hotel is "dated". While I wouldn't claim it to be an all bells and whistles modern building, our room was clean, a good size, in good repair and very quiet. Perhaps ours was newly renovated, I couldn't fault it.

There's a good sized gym with a cardio room and a separate weights room as well a decent pool both inside and out.

The welcome alone means I'd recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2014

My recent stay at the Sheraton in Austin was great. Never have I experienced staff beeing so friendly and welcoming. The hotel is average Sheraton - the rooms could use some renovating. But they are clean, silent and you have all you need. And besides, who visits Austin to just spend time in the room? The staff was outstanding. It happened that there was a staff BBQ party outside next to the pool area. And I was invited to join. So I enjoyed chilled beer and great hamburgers together with staff and their families. The General Manager was managing the BBQ...awesome! I guess there is a first time for everything. The bartenders were all great too. Make sure to order a Mojito. I did - and it was "of course" on the house (Thanks, Pete!). If you are in town for business the hotel works well. If you are in town for leisure - and to experience 6th street and other downtown attractions - the hotel works well too. 10-15 minutes walk - and you are in the middle of everything - and still far enough away to not have your sleep disrupted by all the (great) live music downtown...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Ditlevski
Dave B, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for providing us with feedback on your recent travel experience. We are very happy to hear that our customer service was able to exceed your expectations. We pride ourselves in having every guest leave our hotel 100% satisfied and we are happy we were able to meet that for you. We apologize that you did not find our property to be up to par. I will follow up with the correct department to for possible improvements. We look forward to you visiting us again very soon.

All the best,
The Sheraton Austin Hotel
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

We love Sheraton hotels and always try find one in the city we are visiting. We were attending a country music festival in downtown Austin, so it was an easy decision to choose this hotel. When we first arrived, our first impression of the lobby was beautiful. Considering the amount of money we spent on a one night stay, this was the look I was expecting.
However, check in time was 3, and we arrived at two. We were told our room would be put on priority. By 3:30 we were still waiting on our room. Upon entering, the size of the room is embarrassing. A king sized bed takes up the entire room. We stayed in room 811. The headboard was so damaged, it looked like someone took a knife to it. The shower head was also falling off of the wall.
To top it off, we were charged $20 to park overnight. For a total of $270 for a one night stay, this place is lucky to get my rating of a 2 out of 5. We will probably choose elsewhere next year for this trip.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jeff K
Dave B, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for providing us with feedback on your stay. We apologize that you did not find our guest rooms up to par and we will relay these issues. We are happy that you found the lobby to meet your expectations and that we are in a convenient location for you. For parking, we are neither the highest nor the lowest, we offer competitive rates compared to the other downtown hotels. I hope you will give us another chance in the future to improve your impression because we want every guest to leave 100% satisfied.

Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Stayed there four nights for a business meeting in Austin and they did a great job. Rooms were very nice. I had such good sleep while I was there, which is unusual for me when I travel. I have to credit the very nice beds and bedding and pillows...very comfortable. Since I was there with a group, we had the breakfast buffet included with our stay - and it was wonderful. My only concerns were that there was a concert playing down the street from the hotel and it was so loud I could hear it in my room. It sounded like it was on the property, but I later discovered it was several blocks away. The other concern I had was that there was nothing in either the cardio gym or the weight room to wipe down the equipment with. That did not seem very sanitary. There was also a shooting right outside the hotel entrance the morning I got there which was all over the news, which made me rather nervous.

I appreciated the extras the hotel offers like the "loofa" sponge in the bathroom. Nice touch.

I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room high up away from the elevators
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dave B, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are sorry that you did not have a pleasant view the first day you came to visit us but are very happy that you were able to enjoy our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Beds! We are also happy that you had the chance to experience the Landmark breakfast buffet! Please let us know the next time you come back to the hotel so that we may provide you with earplugs and a sound machine to help you sleep. We will follow up about your other concerns as well. We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Angmering, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location if you driving in just off the 35 north. The hotel has a spacious reception where the bar is located as well, a pleasant area to sit and relax of an evening. Checkin was prompt and efficient and a friendly smile greets the guest as they approach.
Rooms are comfortable with a great bed, tea and coffee facilities are on hand as well as an ironing board and iron to sort out those last minute clothes.
The pool area is fairly small and the sun doesn't seem to reach it till about 11am, there is a fitness centre close by.
Breakfast is served as a buffet or A la carte. The buffet is well stocked with hot or cold choices and is a reasonable price of $16.
The hotel is on the edge of the city so it's a short walk to the bars and restaurants on 6th or south congress, but other than that a nice place to stay whether on business or for just a night.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dave B, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Austin as your home away from home. We really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to share your experience with us. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to experience all of the facilities that we have to offer. We will look into the concerns that you had and we really appreciate your feedback! We hope to see you again soon in the near future.