“Great hotel in he middle of it all!”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #107 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed in the Sheraton for business last week. Use to be a Marriott when I was in college. Nice place! Great open lobby area with a bar and good views. Lots of open spaces and a restaurant downstairs. Pool was nice but still too cold but outdoor seating was great. You're in he middle of downtown but the hotel has a green belt behind it. Room was nice but small. Good desk area and extra chair. Mattresses were comfy and heat worked fine. It's all about location here. Also had self parking at a reduced rate which was nice. We enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed February 28, 2014

On a recent business trip to Austin, I stayed in the Sheraton because it was the only hotel available downtown at my per diem rate. I had some reservations (no pun intended) about my reservation from reading reviews on Trip Adviser, but all of my concerns were unfounded.

I arrived at about 1:30, but my room was ready to go. I had requested a room with a view of the Capitol and received it on the 9th floor. When I got to my room is was very clean and neat. The furniture, while not new was not dinged up and looked well kept. The only thing in the room that was not very clean was the outside of the window, but that does not affect my stay! The bed was comfortable and the TV worked well. I was a little concerned about side-to-side noise, as I could hear a meeting going on in the room next to me that afternoon, but it did not continue into the evening.

While I did not use the exercise room (I chose to run outside), it looked nice and well equipped. I did have a drink at the lobby bar. It was fine, if uninspired, but the bar tenders were friendly. Overall, it is a good location in Austin, very close to the Capitol and the University of Texas. It is a bit of a walk to the "action" of 6th Street, but maybe that is a good thing!

Room Tip: Room in the lower numbers (from x00 to about x20) are not directly next to each other. This could re...
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Recently stayed what became 5 nights (more on this later) at the Sheraton in Austin. Pretty good location, though a little far (walk-wise) from the downtown action. Its located right off of I35. Stubb's bbq and Franklin BBQ are both within walking distance. Avis/Budget rental car is right across the street, if needed.There is a CVS on the other side of the highway if you happened to forget anything.

We arrived late at night (around 1am) and as such, check-in was a breeze. The lobby/bar area is nice, modern and inviting. Though I'm not sure why the registration desk is located where it is, as you almost have to about-face as you walk in the doors to see it.

The room- small, and certainly nothing to write home about. Probably one of the smallest I've ever stayed in. But with that said, it was decent. I agree with other reviewers that the room is a little dated, unlike the hallways and lobby. The sink was separated from the shower/toilet, which is convenient. HVAC system was fine. We had a north view, so it consisted of some highway, UT campus and the capitol building. There was some peeling of the headboard padding (see photos), which was really just an eye sore, but a little telling of the upkeep of the property. Just a note that, for us, the room was pretty quiet. Didn't hear much noise from the hallway or adjacent rooms through most of our stay. Also not much traffic noise from the highway, which I was initially concerned with. Should also mention we were on the 11th floor. 42" flat panel TV's were a nice touch tho. Wireless internet is paid (BOO), so we didn't use it. It is free in the lobby though.

So I originally booked 4 nights with SPG points and my flight out got canceled so needed to extend my stay by one more night. They advised the rate was $249 for the extra night, though a little high, I was okay with. I get a call back from the front desk confirm the extra night, and he also stated that the rate would be $229, which was better. But even with the extra trip back to the front desk to get our key cards re-coded, we were still locked out of our room that evening. So we had to again return to the front desk to recode them. Finally, upon checkout (which was equally a breeze as check-in), I asked for my receipt to be emailed (never got the folio slipped under the door as I am accustomed to). By the time I returned home to NY, I still had not been emailed a receipt. After 2 emails to the hotel, I finally received it, with an explanation that there was some issue with the extra night, since I booked the original stay with points, and then the extra night was paid by credit card.

TL, DR- all in all an okay place to stay. Good service (for the most part) and cozy, small, rooms. Good location with many restaurants within walking distance, but still a ways away from the main part of downtown. I would stay here again if I were returning to Austin.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am so glad you enjoyed our convienient location to some of the best BBQ spots in Texas! We work hard to ensure a quick and efficient experience for our travelers and are pleased you found check in and check out so seamless. I will look into what happened with our email system that caused you to not receive your bill. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Best Regards

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Hotel was fine for our needs. Nothing fancy or elaborate and for the price maybe you would expect a bit more but it's in a good location and clean. Delicious buffet breakfast and delicious drinks at the bar. The indoor pool was a hit with the kids!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

My SPG member companion and I had a great time on our recent trip to Austin. Unfortunately, upon return to our club floor room we could hear everything our neighbors were saying! Additionally, our bathroom amenities were not refreshed until our last night or until we called pre-shower.

I was not impressed!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your feedback. We work hard to control the noise levels of other guests inside the hotel, especially on weekends. I am sorry that the loudness of others tarnished your stay with us. I will make sure to share your comments with our managers and staff. I hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Weekend stay . I'm an SPG member, room was small, nothing bad but nothing great. Dated bathroom, shower sub standard. elevator waits. Lobby bar okay. For $229 I expect better.

Hotel needs a facelift. Lobby had a weird smell.

Location is good.

Stayed: February 2014

Dan,

Thank you for your business. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. I believe the smell in the lobby you are speaking of is the Branded Scent that all Sheraton's carry. If you are interested in booking a large room we do offer larger corner rooms and suites to book. I hope you will give us another chance to be your hotel of choice.

All the best,

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Staff super friendly and hotel met expectations. The experience of history, music, culture was all outside the hotel. Great location. Would def return. We had access to the the lounge and that did give us many conveniences.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Deluxe for lounge access