“Paper thin walls”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #103 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

My SPG member companion and I had a great time on our recent trip to Austin. Unfortunately, upon return to our club floor room we could hear everything our neighbors were saying! Additionally, our bathroom amenities were not refreshed until our last night or until we called pre-shower.

I was not impressed!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your feedback. We work hard to control the noise levels of other guests inside the hotel, especially on weekends. I am sorry that the loudness of others tarnished your stay with us. I will make sure to share your comments with our managers and staff. I hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Weekend stay . I'm an SPG member, room was small, nothing bad but nothing great. Dated bathroom, shower sub standard. elevator waits. Lobby bar okay. For $229 I expect better.

Hotel needs a facelift. Lobby had a weird smell.

Location is good.

Stayed: February 2014

Dan,

Thank you for your business. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. I believe the smell in the lobby you are speaking of is the Branded Scent that all Sheraton's carry. If you are interested in booking a large room we do offer larger corner rooms and suites to book. I hope you will give us another chance to be your hotel of choice.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Staff super friendly and hotel met expectations. The experience of history, music, culture was all outside the hotel. Great location. Would def return. We had access to the the lounge and that did give us many conveniences.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Deluxe for lounge access
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I spent 4 nights at the Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, while I was in Austin for a convention.

I purposely decided to book this hotel because I am an spy gold member and among the benefits I was interested in the late checkout.

Although I was happy with the staff always friendly and courteous, (especially the staff at the bar was very friendly, attentive without being intrusive), unfortunately, I cannot say that my stay was satisfactory.

There are things that you expect from 4 star a hotel that were not there. For example:

1. The building seemed a little outdated
2. The Room lacked a refrigerator and a safe, which is a pretty standard configuration nowadays for hotel of this category
3. The water pressure in the bathroom was inconsistent
4. The toilet flush was not functioning properly and I had to fiddle with the handle in order to stop the water
5. There were only 2 drawers in the room. The night tables were basically side tables with no room below the surface
6. There was some issue with the coffee maker (please see the picture attached). The first time I made myself coffee, the water was overflowing from the top of the tray that contains the pod. I informed the front desk about it, and the coffee maker was replaced. However, the second one had the same problem. They replaced it again with no success. My take on this is that the “proudly served” Starbucks pods do not work well with that kind of coffee maker which, because of the copious spilling of water, could become a fire hazard.
7. As a Spg gold member and I asked for an “enhanced” room, which, if available, is one of the benefits of this status. Now, I am not sure I was given one of those “enhanced” rooms because between the marathon and the convention maybe the hotel was completely booked. However, if I was I can only imagine how bad a non-enhanced room is.

All in all, considering the list above, the location (which is just convenient if you need to be close to the expressway) and for the price, I feel I cannot give this hotel a good review.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Simone

First let me thank you for being a GOLD SPG Member. Your loyalty and business are greatly appreciated and is what makes our hotels some of the best in the world! I am sorry that the property did not meet your expectations. However, it sounds like the staff did a great job of taking care of you during your stay. We are constantly working to improve the property and update the guest rooms and public areas. We hope our service levels will keep your coming back!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I come to Austin on a regular base, and I do not stay down town unless I have to, the Staff here is friendly, but the hotel is a little outdated. The Hotel is clean and because it near the Capitol, it gets a lot of business. I guess that is why five other hotels are being built now – that will add additional 2500 rooms to the Austin market.

Starwood generally does a good job at keeping their older properties in decent shape, but somehow this one seems to have slipped through the cracks.

I am SPG Platinum and I spend enough time at Starwood hotels to say that this hotel needs honest attention.

Three stars is a fair rating based on a friendly staff, but because the hotel is a bit in need of renovation, I do not think it deserves a four-star review.

Room Tip: Location is downtown, but the Hotel needs some updating.

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and are glad that our staff was the highlight of your stay with us. We did just finish installing brand new 42 in HD TVs in all of our guest rooms along with a complete update of our Wireless Internet Network. We have also recently replaced the lampshades, guest room carpets and desk chairs. There are more exciting updates coming in the near future so we hope you will continue your loyalty as a Starwood Preferred Guest Member.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I'm a frequent traveller and stayed at the Sheraton hotel in Austin a few weeks back. I usually don't take time to write reviews but figured I would make an exception for this one. The staff was really amazing (especially Kaleo at the club lounge): they almost made me forget that I was on the road. :-)

1  Thank Nikita N
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Nikita

Thank you for your kind words regarding our Staff. We truly pride ourselves on exceptional guest service. I will make sure to share your comments and commend Kaleo for his exceptional service!

Best Regards

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed here using reward points that we earned by being frequent Starwood guests. The room was appointed nicely, the bed was comfortable and the bedroom was clean; the bathroom, however was not. The floor was sticky around the toilet. The toilet tended to run, so I had to manually adjust the floating mechanism in the tank a couple of times so that it would stop. The shower and sink never delivered water that was hotter lukewarm, which was disappointing as I enjoy hot showers.

Breakfast was included in our rate, and was served buffet style. It was also served cold - scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage - everything cold. The bacon they had on the buffet was burnt, which I pointed out to our waitress. She kindly brought out some freshly cooked bacon that looked beautiful, but was also cold. The service was good though, and our waitress was very attentive.

We had drinks at the lobby bar and I asked for a rye and coke, and the bartender said he didn't have any rye. When I pointed out the bottle of Crown Royal, he said "Oh, that's rye?" Maybe he was new. Nice bar though, and they give you wasabi peas that I found addictive.

The front desk clerk gave us a very good recommendation for a restaurant close by.

Despite some bright points, the overall the experience was poor.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry that the experience did not meet your expectations but I am glad your staff interactions were so positive. I will make sure to share the issues with your guest room with my Chief Engineer and Director of Housekeeping. We hope you will give us another chance in the future and appreciate your loyalty as a Starwood Preferred Guest Member!

Best Regards,