“Great location, but an aging star”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #95 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Worth, Texas
“Great location, but an aging star”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

To begin, let me state that I spent a total of 9 hours in the hotel, but very little of that sleeping. This is mainly due to the noise level on the 10th floor. I was in an end-cap room that had two rooms adjoining (each room had a door to the other). I thought it odd, but didn't bother me when I checked in.

The biggest problem was the noise level when my roomies started waking VERY early in the morning. Talking in a very normal voice, I could clearly hear the conversation of my next door neighbor. The walls must be paper thin. This was repeated on the other side when that neighbor turned on his TV. Thought he might have it loud when his phone rang (same ring tone as me). I got up to check my phone before I realized that was coming from the other room.

Other than that, the bedding was top-notch, typical amenities of a 3-star property (sold as a 4-star - hardly!). Slightly older property, but it's held up well. Can't beat the location for downtown or Capital business. And despite being next to I-35, the road noise was not a bother since I was at the opposite side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room facing WEST, furthest away from the nearby highway.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your hotel experience with us. We are pleased to hear that you did enjoy the location of our property, the top-notch bedding, and our amenities. We know the importance of a good night of sleep and apologize that you were woken up several times during your stay. In the future, we would love to have back at our hotel and I am sure we can find you a more secluded room that you would enjoy. We hope you will be traveling back to Austin again soon and look forward to seeing you then.
Your Sheraton Austin Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Loved the location near lots of restaurants and bars all within walking distance. Rooms were small and our bed was in need of a new king size mattress, which sagged in the middle. One desk chair, one upholstered chair, no room for a hassock. Conference facility was decent. The business center printing program didn't work, and you had to wait in line for the front desk to get them to print something, which they were happy to do. Happy to give a late check out, but they turn off your internet access and change your key code before you check out. Lobby and bar were decent, breakfast buffet was average and pricey. The front desk was inadequately staffed for conference check in & check outs. Staff did not seem at all knowledgeable about the local area, they hand you a map with a list of bars & restaurants on it. No one knew there was a CVS only one block away. The first room we walked into reeked of smoke, so the front desk immediately sent someone up with new keys for a nearby room. I'm pretty sure they were aware of the smokey room.

Green Features: I am in favor of environmentally friendly practices, but I think adjusting the freezing temps in the conference space would do more good than waiving housekeeping services. It was so cold in the conference rooms, even the men were cold.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent travel experience with us. We are glad that you did enjoy the majority of your time spent here. We hope that you are pleased to know that we will be updating our rooms this summer. This includes new bedding, chairs, carpets, televisions, etc. We apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your check in and check out. Hopefully, in the future, we can accommodate your needs in a more timely fashion. We hope that you enjoyed your conference and that your group will return to our property soon.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel. We've stayed here twice for an annual convention. The rooms are clean and the hotel is very nice overall. However, the food is horrendous and over priced. The food at the restaurant and food provided by the hotel for the convention was disgusting. Great room but when it comes to eating, run for the hills.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I decided to try out the Sheraton at the Capitol as I have stayed at the W the past 3 visits to Austin. The location was pretty good, just a few blocks from 6th St and right off the 35. Front dest service was fine. The lobby was in need of an update. The room was also quite tired. It looked like they did the minimum to have the room fit the Sheraton branding. My biggest issue was the fact the the WiFi didn't work properly. For a hotel that caters mostly to business people it is strange that they didn't make sure it worked.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for commenting on your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback so that we can improve our guests’ future experience with us. We are glad to hear that you decided to test out our property for your trip. You may have seen from previous responses that we will begin our summer room updates within the next few weeks. These updates will include the lobby area, furnishings in the rooms, and our internet access. Our staff would love to have you back at our property and we believe you will be very pleased with the repairs we will be making. Hope to see you soon!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel has everything to make it fantastic -- wonderful staff, awesome room, spectacular view and convenient location. However, the live music that bleeds into your room from the restaurant below just negates everything that is good. While this is not the fault of the hotel, it just is a huge factor in deciding to stay here. This is my second trip to this hotel -- one several years ago that I swore I would never return. (It was on a weekend and the music played very late. The manager's solution to my lack of ability to sleep was to offer earplugs.) I didn't realize I was booking at the same location, and found everything to be excpetional....until the loud music. Luckily, it eneded at 10:15, but if I ever stay here again, I would definately request away from the "music side" of the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the music!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for letting us know about your experience with us. We are thrilled to hear that you really enjoy out hotel, the friendly staff, and the views we offer. We apologize that you found the nearby music to be bothersome. We would love to have you back again at our property and would be happy to accommodate you in a room that is on the north side of the building. We hope to see you for your next Austin trip soon.
Thanks again,

Austin, TX
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The Sheraton in Austin is a very conveniently located hotel. This is a hotel in need of a good upgrade. It feels "old". If it were not for the front desk staff, I probably would have rated the hotel as poor.

The rooms themselves do not feel fresh. The only plugs that are available to use are on the desk which makes it inconvenient to charge your phone at night. The bathrooms are in definite need of an upgrade. The WiFi in the hotel was poor at best.

I stayed on the concierge level with access to their complimentary snack room. The gentleman running the room in the morning NEVER had enough food to feed the guests in the morning. Every guest was asking for something. For example, the melon bowls were virtually empty and he stated that he was closing in 30 minutes and would not replenish the fruit. You had to ask for the jelly for your toast. He left two small milk bottles on the counter (one of them warm) for cereal. This was the WORST concierge room i have experienced in my travels. You really got the feeling that they were trying to be cheap.

Room Tip: Room with a Capitol view would be best. Stay away from the freeway side due to noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your hotel experience. We are happy to hear that you did enjoy our friendly staff and our convenient location. We apologize that you found our club lounge to be unsatisfactory. Our Rooms Director has been made aware of the issues you mentioned and will be looking into ways to improve the breakfast options and amount of food available. We hope to have you back to our property again soon and would love the opportunity to improve your opinion of the hotel.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel was in a good location. We were able to walk downtown without any problems. Sixth street was not too far away and neither was Congress Avenue. The hotel was not too busy either. The only issue was the elevators were always busy. So that is something to consider when booking.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple