“Needs updating”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #101 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The lobby area is quite bright and welcoming, however once you get out of the elevator it looks like a typical 80's Sheraton that needs a makeover. My room felt really dark and I couldn't get the room temperature correct and in the end I just turned it off completely. My shower head was hanging out of a hole in the wall, and the whole bathroom just looked like it needed upgrading. I had to unplug a lamp next to my bed to charge up my phone overnight
The valet was prompt and the staff were attentive and helpful, i didn't eat at the hotel, so can't comment on food or beverage services.
If I don't need to be downtown I wouldn't choose this hotel, I much prefer the Westin at the domain

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Canada_gal_1
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you for commenting on your experience with us. We are glad to hear that you did find our staff to be helpful and accommodating. We are in the process of repairing all A/C units within each room, along with several other updates throughout the hotel this summer, and we apologize that you did have trouble with thermostat. Hopefully, if you do need to be in the Downtown Austin area again, we will see you soon and you will enjoy many updates.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed here weekly for several months while traveling for business, and I really loved this hotel. The staff in particular are fantastic - they're all extremely kind and helpful, and do their best to accommodate any request you might have. The hotel is in a great location, very close to the Capitol. While the hotel is a little older as some reviewers might have noted, the rooms are still nice and the beds in particular are extremely comfortable; there's also a concierge lounge that serves a nice breakfast. This hotel was definitely my home away from home and I will certainly be back again!

Room Tip: Try to get a Capitol view!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you so much for letting us know about your great experience with us. It truly encourages our team when you, as a loyal customer, provide us with words of praise and appreciation. We are excited to see you in the near future and are looking forward to serving you again!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stay here frequently and they finally opened up the club lounge. Alan and Rosa were very helpful each time I went to the club lounge . Rosa gave me a map of suggested restaurants.

Danielle and An at the front desk were able to accommodate my last minute changes and made sure my stay was pleasant.

My only comment is the quality of toiletries at Sheraton's could be of better quality. Its sister hotel - The Westin does a better job of this.

Looking forward to my next trip

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed 2 nights over a weekend. The hotel is situated 3 blocks from the capitol and one block from restaurants, galleries and other amenities. The room was comfortable, the service was good. It was bustling and busy with a convention. We ordered room service one morning and were pleased with breakfast. The hotel is convenient to the highway and would recommend it for a short stay; where you will be spending most of your time roaming around Austin.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Booked Last minute trip to Austin for one night. Staff was courteous, kind and outgoing. Hotel looks up to date with nice features to give it the downtown Austin look. Had some great drinks at the bar that were very affordable. Room itself was a King Bedroom; All amenities (TV, Iron, Desk) looked great and in well condition. Would have to be very picky to find details of chipped paint and wear/tear in the room as mentioned in previous posts/pictures. Its a VACATION ! Have fun and enjoy your stay; not inspect every detail !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel during a weekend retreat, The first night when we walked into the room smelled like a wet moldy shower, so they moved us to another room, next when moved into the next room it was cold so when we turned the heat on it never warmed up in the room, so the maintain eve guy can and checked the heat and the boiler was out, the maintenance guy restarted the boiler and the heat finally came on. Just when I thought things were good we were leaving I lost my shoe somewhere and when I called back to see if anyone found it nothing it disappeared. So my advice is find somewhere else to stay because they are going to spend a lot of time fixing things and if you lose something valuable you will never see it again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay. We apologize that our property did not meet your expectations during your stay. Our housekeeping department does keep record of lost and found information and unfortunately the shoe has not turned up. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the near future.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I am a platinum SPG member, so I am generally a big fan of almost every Starwood hotel. I travel to Austin a lot, so I've stayed in all the Starwood properties. This one just isn't good for working: the desk chair in my room was disgusting (picture attached ) - looked like it had been long suffering. The internet didn't work - both my computers stopped getting a connection after an hour. After a 30 minute conversation with an almost rude tech support agent they figured out what I told them in the beginning: there was a problem with the local router. I was told it would be fixed in an hour - but it NEVER was - so I had to LEAVE the hotel and find a coffee shop so I could work.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Our loyal Starwood guests are our highest priority and we apologize that our property did not meet your expectations. Because of other business traveler comments, like yours, we are highly anticipating our WiFi update this summer along with a full room renovation. Furnishings in the rooms, carpets, and televisions are just a few items that will be updated. We apologize that the situation was not resolved during your stay and hope to correct the issue for all future reservations. We hope your business travel brings you to Austin again shortly and to have the opportunity to provide you with excellent service.
Thanks again,