“Lost Items”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cibol
“Lost Items”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel during a weekend retreat, The first night when we walked into the room smelled like a wet moldy shower, so they moved us to another room, next when moved into the next room it was cold so when we turned the heat on it never warmed up in the room, so the maintain eve guy can and checked the heat and the boiler was out, the maintenance guy restarted the boiler and the heat finally came on. Just when I thought things were good we were leaving I lost my shoe somewhere and when I called back to see if anyone found it nothing it disappeared. So my advice is find somewhere else to stay because they are going to spend a lot of time fixing things and if you lose something valuable you will never see it again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay. We apologize that our property did not meet your expectations during your stay. Our housekeeping department does keep record of lost and found information and unfortunately the shoe has not turned up. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the near future.
Your Sheraton Austin Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I am a platinum SPG member, so I am generally a big fan of almost every Starwood hotel. I travel to Austin a lot, so I've stayed in all the Starwood properties. This one just isn't good for working: the desk chair in my room was disgusting (picture attached ) - looked like it had been long suffering. The internet didn't work - both my computers stopped getting a connection after an hour. After a 30 minute conversation with an almost rude tech support agent they figured out what I told them in the beginning: there was a problem with the local router. I was told it would be fixed in an hour - but it NEVER was - so I had to LEAVE the hotel and find a coffee shop so I could work.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Our loyal Starwood guests are our highest priority and we apologize that our property did not meet your expectations. Because of other business traveler comments, like yours, we are highly anticipating our WiFi update this summer along with a full room renovation. Furnishings in the rooms, carpets, and televisions are just a few items that will be updated. We apologize that the situation was not resolved during your stay and hope to correct the issue for all future reservations. We hope your business travel brings you to Austin again shortly and to have the opportunity to provide you with excellent service.
Thanks again,
Your Sheraton Austin Team

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Odessa, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Usually one expects more from the downtown hotels than the highway budget chains. Better quality, better service, higher standards. This hotel proved that one should never assume anything. We have traveled to Austin many times but had never stayed in this hotel. In town for business, this was the conference hotel. Two nights in this hotel, we encountered dirty sheets (large yellow greasy stains in multiple places), the lamps in the room unplugged, no washcloths in the bathroom, the toilet stopped up and the smallest $200 a night room I have ever seen! Honestly left me shaking my head! Now for the bright spot - when I called guest services (only called twice - about the sheets and washcloths), I was greeted by name and the situations were corrected. I really appreciated their attention. However, should this many issues been present in the first place? As for returning to this hotel - there are too many other places in Austin that are really much better!!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for proving us with your feedback. We do look into all comments and suggestions made to improve our guest’s experience. We apologize that there were issues with your room and linens. Our new Director of Housekeeping is definitely making improvements and we are anticipating more over the next several months. Thank you for bringing the situation to our staff’s attention, we are glad things got resolved promptly. We would love to host you again where we will strive to leave you 100% satisfied with your stay.
Warm Regards,
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a night at this hotel during a romantic weekend getaway. We got a free upgrade thanks to his Starwood status. Am not quite sure what was upgraded, though. The property is old and poorly maintained in general. In our room, one of the phones was totally non-functional (was plugged in), the alarm was blinking / not set, and I had to call down 3 times for our bathrobes to be delivered.

There is an outdoor concert venue that had a concert that night - if you book a room here, be sure to ask for a room that faces away from that concert location and if there is an event during your stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We apologize that our property did not meet your expectations and for our tardiness in getting your robes delivered. We are anticipating a renovation this summer to update several furnishings within the guest rooms and to improve your experience. Our staff does hope that you will return to our property again shortly, we truly value our loyal Starwood guests.
Thanks again,
Lipan, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was late making reservations for a wedding in Austin. All of our favorite hotels were full. I looked at the reviews of the Sheraton and it didn't look too bad.
It was way overpriced. ($700 for 2 nights) The bathroom had mildew and a warped tub and flimsy shower curtain. The vanity only had one sink (when was the last time you saw that in a hotel?)
The toilet paper was very cheap and rough.
The carpet was dirty and the walls were stained. The chair in our room at the desk looked like a cat had clawed it.
The trashcans looked like they came from a mechanics shop, plastic, small and no liner or anything in it. gross.
The bed I have to say was pretty comfy, and the valet/car service was friendly, although a bit frazzled and unorganized when we got there on Friday evening.
The website advertises "a corner room" so you think it is a large suite type room. That floor (not sure if all floors) is zig zagged so that every room is a corner room, but has a long wasted space of hallway in each room. Also, the curtains are not blackout, the sun comes blaring in on the corners of the drapes early. (our room must have faced East)
We would not stay there again. Too expensive and not up to par.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. Our property definitely prides itself on our welcoming staff so we are glad we were able to host you here. Unfortunately we did not leave you fully satisfied with your stay and we truly apologize you did not find the property up to par. You may have seen in previous comments that our hotel will be going through a thorough room renovation this summer where most of the issues you mentioned will be addressed. We hope that this one encounter will not keep you from visiting us again; our staff would love to welcome you back to fresh updates again soon!
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at thgis property for business and found it to be a good base from which to explore Austin. The hotel is clean and sports friendly, attentive staff. I found my room to be clean, comfortable, and had a great view of the Texas capitol. It is located blocks away from the hopping 6th Street district, and blocks away from the capitol itself. It was an easy walk to multiple dining and music venues. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience Austin's downtown.

Room Tip: NOt a lot of elevators, so you may want to consider a lower floor.