“Outdated and Poorly Maintained”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #94 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Outdated and Poorly Maintained”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a night at this hotel during a romantic weekend getaway. We got a free upgrade thanks to his Starwood status. Am not quite sure what was upgraded, though. The property is old and poorly maintained in general. In our room, one of the phones was totally non-functional (was plugged in), the alarm was blinking / not set, and I had to call down 3 times for our bathrobes to be delivered.

There is an outdoor concert venue that had a concert that night - if you book a room here, be sure to ask for a room that faces away from that concert location and if there is an event during your stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We apologize that our property did not meet your expectations and for our tardiness in getting your robes delivered. We are anticipating a renovation this summer to update several furnishings within the guest rooms and to improve your experience. Our staff does hope that you will return to our property again shortly, we truly value our loyal Starwood guests.
Thanks again,
Your Sheraton Austin Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Lipan, Texas
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was late making reservations for a wedding in Austin. All of our favorite hotels were full. I looked at the reviews of the Sheraton and it didn't look too bad.
It was way overpriced. ($700 for 2 nights) The bathroom had mildew and a warped tub and flimsy shower curtain. The vanity only had one sink (when was the last time you saw that in a hotel?)
The toilet paper was very cheap and rough.
The carpet was dirty and the walls were stained. The chair in our room at the desk looked like a cat had clawed it.
The trashcans looked like they came from a mechanics shop, plastic, small and no liner or anything in it. gross.
The bed I have to say was pretty comfy, and the valet/car service was friendly, although a bit frazzled and unorganized when we got there on Friday evening.
The website advertises "a corner room" so you think it is a large suite type room. That floor (not sure if all floors) is zig zagged so that every room is a corner room, but has a long wasted space of hallway in each room. Also, the curtains are not blackout, the sun comes blaring in on the corners of the drapes early. (our room must have faced East)
We would not stay there again. Too expensive and not up to par.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. Our property definitely prides itself on our welcoming staff so we are glad we were able to host you here. Unfortunately we did not leave you fully satisfied with your stay and we truly apologize you did not find the property up to par. You may have seen in previous comments that our hotel will be going through a thorough room renovation this summer where most of the issues you mentioned will be addressed. We hope that this one encounter will not keep you from visiting us again; our staff would love to welcome you back to fresh updates again soon!
Your Sheraton Austin Team
USA
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at thgis property for business and found it to be a good base from which to explore Austin. The hotel is clean and sports friendly, attentive staff. I found my room to be clean, comfortable, and had a great view of the Texas capitol. It is located blocks away from the hopping 6th Street district, and blocks away from the capitol itself. It was an easy walk to multiple dining and music venues. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience Austin's downtown.

Room Tip: NOt a lot of elevators, so you may want to consider a lower floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We chose this hotel for its location near the UT campus. A bit more than we'd normally spend for a hotel, it was date night and we were going to the UT campus for an event. Nice welcome by the bellman continued with the front desk staff (Esther?) and into our room. Brian was very helpful at the Landmark getting us out on time from dinner. Our room was comfortable, quiet, and relaxing. Close to Stubbs Barbecue, El Sol y La Luna restaurant, Convention Center, and Esther's Follies.

NC
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Sheraton. The room was nice, the bed was comfortable, and the staff were extremely nice. However, the hotel's best asset is Mike Rodriguez, the concierge. I was there for a conference and my son wanted me to get a Houston Texans t-shirt of a specific player. I decided to ask Mike. He immediately started surfing the net. When nothing seemed to work he started calling stores although I told him that was too much trouble. He insisted and I am truly grateful. He finally found one (after calls to several stores) in the right size and had them hold it for me until I could get there. Mike truly saved me. My son is ecstatic and I couldn't have made him happy without Mike. Sheraton management has a true gem in Mike.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Was in Austin for an Association Day on the Hill. The group had meetings scheduled at the hotel, time to visit state legislators at their offices and then back to the hotel for a luncheon with the legislators. I requested a corner room on the concierge floor and had to wait to check in. Valet checking bags was easy and courteous. Front desk staff texted me when my room was ready. Spent some time in the lobby bar visiting with colleagues. Drink prices where typical for a hotel bar, $5 beer and wine (better than east or west coast but more than local watering holes in Austin-but very convenient).

Room layout was interesting. Long hallway upon entering with closet straight ahead, hard right turn at closet with sink and vanity to left and entrance to toilet / shower on right. Proceed into the room and TV and desk extend down the left side and bed to right, windows straight ahead and over desk. The view toward the north and Capitol was very nice. Functional, yet so Austin...weird.

Room was clean and interent and TV worked fine. The concierge lounge is very nice, stopped i for a snack after meetings and before going out for a late dinner. The lounge hostess was very courteous and friendly. She helped several people with the computer and printer while being engaging and keeping up with service.

The meeting rooms were very good for our function and catering did a good job with a breakfast buffet and a plated luncheon. When the keynote speaker started the wait staff was well trained to stop clearing dishes and quietly replenish drinks with no noise or distractions. So often I have been at these type of events and the staff makes so much noise yu cannot hear the program.

The location is great. It is an easy walk back and forth to the Capitol and plenty of nearby restaurants and bars. Easy access from I-35.

Overall the staff was excellent from front desk to bar tenders, conceirge lounge staff and valet. Would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business