“Great trip!”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #101 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Sheraton. The room was nice, the bed was comfortable, and the staff were extremely nice. However, the hotel's best asset is Mike Rodriguez, the concierge. I was there for a conference and my son wanted me to get a Houston Texans t-shirt of a specific player. I decided to ask Mike. He immediately started surfing the net. When nothing seemed to work he started calling stores although I told him that was too much trouble. He insisted and I am truly grateful. He finally found one (after calls to several stores) in the right size and had them hold it for me until I could get there. Mike truly saved me. My son is ecstatic and I couldn't have made him happy without Mike. Sheraton management has a true gem in Mike.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Was in Austin for an Association Day on the Hill. The group had meetings scheduled at the hotel, time to visit state legislators at their offices and then back to the hotel for a luncheon with the legislators. I requested a corner room on the concierge floor and had to wait to check in. Valet checking bags was easy and courteous. Front desk staff texted me when my room was ready. Spent some time in the lobby bar visiting with colleagues. Drink prices where typical for a hotel bar, $5 beer and wine (better than east or west coast but more than local watering holes in Austin-but very convenient).

Room layout was interesting. Long hallway upon entering with closet straight ahead, hard right turn at closet with sink and vanity to left and entrance to toilet / shower on right. Proceed into the room and TV and desk extend down the left side and bed to right, windows straight ahead and over desk. The view toward the north and Capitol was very nice. Functional, yet so Austin...weird.

Room was clean and interent and TV worked fine. The concierge lounge is very nice, stopped i for a snack after meetings and before going out for a late dinner. The lounge hostess was very courteous and friendly. She helped several people with the computer and printer while being engaging and keeping up with service.

The meeting rooms were very good for our function and catering did a good job with a breakfast buffet and a plated luncheon. When the keynote speaker started the wait staff was well trained to stop clearing dishes and quietly replenish drinks with no noise or distractions. So often I have been at these type of events and the staff makes so much noise yu cannot hear the program.

The location is great. It is an easy walk back and forth to the Capitol and plenty of nearby restaurants and bars. Easy access from I-35.

Overall the staff was excellent from front desk to bar tenders, conceirge lounge staff and valet. Would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Great location for doing business in downtown Austin, including the Capitol and UT. Clean, comfortable room, helpful staff and surprisingly quiet. The only negative is the $16 per night for self parking.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed here for a conference and the room was good. I think the hotel is located perfectly for business and entertainment. I thought the room was good and the bed comfortable. I would stay again when I am in town. The staff was helpful for directions and taxi service.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thank you so much for providing us with some feedback on your stay. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. We hope to see you back again soon to enjoy our comfortable rooms, great location and friendly staff. Thanks again!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I spent one night at the Sheraton while attending a conference in Austin. POSITIVES: The location is good: easy access from I-35 and just blocks from 6th Street. My room was well maintained, and the bed was comfortable but unexceptional. The staff was very courteous and helpful. Our catered meals were tasty, but the buffet self-service (salads, tacos) took rather long. NEGATIVES: Doubles have full-sized beds rather than queens. The wireless never worked, even after I called technical support. The conference rooms were convenient but not great for sound or comfort.

1  Thank DavidMcTier

Thanks for taking the time to let us know the pros and cons of your stay. We truly appreciate all comments so we can improve our guest’s experience. Our staff is glad to know that we were able to assist you when needed, that you enjoyed our comfortable beds, and that you appreciated our meals. We are definitely aware of our WiFi issue throughout the hotel; we will be updating this within the next few months so we hope that is corrected before your next conference here. Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I've stayed at this Sheraton a couple times during trips to Austin, and it is your standard semi-outdated Sheraton hotel. The lobby has been revamped and is quite nice, but the rooms are on the smaller side and not as nice as the lobby.

Pros - price and location: each time I've gone, this has been one of the more reasonably priced options located in Austin. You can walk to 6th street and many other areas in minutes. They have a pricey but convenient parking garage on site - so each time we drop the car and walk.

Cons - sound can be a problem, rooms not exceptional but not bad either

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for commenting on your stay at our hotel. We appreciate the time you took to provide us with some feedback. We apologize that our rooms did not meet your expectations; however our semi-outdated status will be changing shortly. This summer we will begin a large room renovation where we will be updating the rooms! We are glad that enjoyed our location and felt that we offered competitive prices for downtown Austin. Thank you for choosing our hotel for your Austin trips and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I have stayed at the Sheraton at the Capitol a number of times with the most recent being in January 2013. It's certainly not your "wow" hotel but is decent for a business traveller. It wouldn't be my first choice as I would rather be in the downtown area and in terms of value, there isn't free breakfast, nor free internet except in the lobby.

I do like the lobby area since it is a wonderful meeting area to relax after a hard day's work. It is open with lots of seating areas around a bar/coffee station and conducive to fraternizing with others. The main restaurant was not open in January for dinner but the same menu was available in the bar area....the chicken quesadillas are excellent, as was the service. Always a smile and such nice people who work there (front desk included).

The rooms are a wee bit tired but when you're there for work, all you care about is a decent bed.

As I mentioned, the hotel is not located in the downtown area and one benefit is that it is more quiet so you don't hear the street travel and noisy downtown people. There is a great Mexican restaurant within a two minute walk and whose name escapes me but the selection of restaurants is not great in that area, the hotel can direct you to it very easily. I have eaten there many times and enjoyed it every time, as well as its outdoor patio area.

So, in the final analysis, this hotel wouldn't necessarily be my first pick for Austin but is fine for an average hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We love receiving feedback from all our guests, especially repeat travelers like you. Our staff was excited to hear that you enjoyed their hospitality, smiles, the lobby bar area and your chicken quesadilla! A large room renovation is in store this summer to update the rooms in the hotel. Hopefully these improvements will give you the full experience you enjoy: the exciting atmosphere in the lobby and the luxurious room as well. We truly appreciate your return business and hope we can continue serving you on your future business trips.
FYI- Serrano's is the great restaurant around the corner from us, thanks for mentioning to other travelers.