“Typical Chain Hotel - Parking An Issue”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #95 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tyler, Texas
“Typical Chain Hotel - Parking An Issue”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This room was booked for me. I was neither disappointed nor amazed by this property. It's your standard hotel for a chain. I did ask to be placed on a quiet floor since there were a lot of sporting teams also staying there and the staff accommodated very nicely to my request. The room was clean, and a very nice bed.

I would however caution any women traveling alone not to park on the top floor of the garage. The only way down is through a very dim stairwell that was quite creepy. For some reason the elevator doesn't go to the top floor of the garage. It did not feel safe at all, but the whole garage was full and there isn't optional parking anywhere else. Next time I will valet park and make them honor the $16 per day fee since the garage was full. I think they should reserve the first three floors for hotel guests, since most parking were there to walk 6th street and provide security on the dimly lit top floors of the parking garage

The buffet breakfast was standard fare as well. We wanted to order off the menu, and that's allowable, but the service was so slow that we chose to just do the buffet. Coffee was good!

Would I stay here again? It's debatable, but I rarely get to Austin, so it's a moot point.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the capitol, and make sure it's at least on the 3rd floor!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments and suggestions regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Our property would not be the same without guest feedback. At the Sheraton Austin guests’ safety is definitely our highest priority. In the future please do not hesitate to let our staff know if for any reason you do not feel 100% safe on our property so we can assure you immediately. The lighting issue in the parking garage stairwell has been brought to our engineering department’s attention and will be reviewed as soon as possible.
We are glad that you enjoyed your comfortable bed and cup of coffee during breakfast. We apologize that the restaurant service was not as prompt as possible. When you do return to Austin so please keep us in mind for any upcoming trips, we would love to have you back!
Your Sheraton Austin Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is a solid 3 star hotel in an excellent location. The lobby is spacious and well kept. Parking is $16 per day. The garage is public,and can become full. If this happens, valet should let you park in valet for the $16 per day. The rooms are solid; although, a bit worn. Housekeeping is a bit lax, and the cleanliness could be improved. Opt for a corner room. The extra space is quite useful. The best thing about the property is its downtown location and proximity to Sixth street and Congress. There are several restaurants within walking distance from the property. The fitness center is separated into two rooms. One room houses the cardio equipment, and the other the weight machines. This was quite handy!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This was a nice Sheraton in a great location to 6th street and all the cool restaurants and bars. It is also close to the Capitol which I could see from my room. My only issues was that the toilet ran and the bellman noticed it and said just to jiggle the handle. Shouldn't it just be fixed? My other issue was that they had not stocked the towels. There was one bath towel and two hand towels and that was it. I had to call down for more which I hate because then I feel obligated to tip for something that normally I would not have needed had the room been fully stocked. Otherwise, great staff and comfy bed.

Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My wife and I travel a lot and I have been a Gold SPG member for years......so I have the loyalty.. for now.... Why is that a huge chain like SPG can not get the simple things right? Our wireless internet did not work from the time we got here, I spent 25 minutes on the phone with a kid in tech support and it worked for about 20 mins!!! The internet is how we book our next nights accommodation, and if SPG is not careful I will use it to book the Hilton. On the up side the young Valet guy was very helpful with directions and ideas for food. The hotel is not to convenient to the 6Th st area nor Congress St. And yet again......BAD toilet plumbing.....REALLY!!!!

Room Tip: Bring your own Wi Fi
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. The Starwood Brand truly values its loyal customers and we are honored that you chose our property for your overnight accommodations. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the wireless internet during your stay. This is not a complaint that will get overlooked but in fact one that we are working to correct as soon as possible. Our WiFi upgrade will be taking place over the next few months. Also, we did experience an unexpected plumbing issue last week but that was corrected as soon as possible. We hope you will still consider us for your next trip to Austin so we can serve you better once these improvements have been made.
Warm Regards,
Your Sheraton Austin Team
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Avoid staying here unless you want to go through a raut! Charged us $20 each for breakfast, which we paid for as part of our room deal anyway of which we didn't even eat! We were presented with 3 strips of plastic that looked like bacon, when we walked away they wanted tips! Horrendous food. Internet didn't work either, they at least waived this EXTRA charge.. I don't know if it was because we were a couple of young travellers but they didn't care for us at all in this place. Do not stay here, I'd pay double to stay at a better place or half to stay at a hostel and still get a better deal

• Stayed December 2012
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your stay. I apologize that your breakfast did not meet your standards and for the issues with the internet. Our Executive Chef has been made aware of the problems you experienced and will investigate what exactly happened. The hotel is anticipating updates to our internet system over the next few months which will resolve any issues you may have experienced. The Sheraton Austin does strive to take care of all of our guests as best as possible. We hope you will give us another chance to provide you and your friends and family a home away from home.

Warm Regards, Your Sheraton Austin Hotel Team
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton using SPG points and had a nice experience. It wasn't our first choice of place to stay but since we were using points, we decided to stay here and were happily surprised. The bellman was extremely helpful in making our stay enjoyable and the room we received (corner room with king bed and great views) was really nice and modern. The bathroom area felt a bit dated, and there weren't glasses in the room (only disposable cups), so it would be nice if those few things could be fixed. However the location is perfect for exploring Austin. If you need to use wifi, they charged for internet, which is frustrating these days, but luckily we didn't need it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Not even gonna lie, this place is no good. Ill start with breakfast being terrible. I took one bite and couldn't eat it. Then they charge through the roof for it. Slow wifi that drops out all the time. Rooms were ok. But when you book a place wells known like the Sheraton you do it for the experience, this was only a bad experience, wouldn't stay there again. And wouldn't tell anyone else to stay either. Spend your money elsewhere where they look after you.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dave B, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am sorry that the breakfast was not to your liking and I will make sure that our Chef checks into your concerns. We are currently approaching a $250K upgrade of our internet system which will make it a much more user friendly experience. I hope we can serve you in the future when these improvements are made.

Best Regards