“Nice hotel, cool location, rooms a bit dated”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #106 of 205 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Meets or exceeds the Sheraton standard (and we've stayed in quite a few throughout the world). We arrived late in the evening, and the hotel bar staff were friendly and the drinks well-mixed. The rooms are clean, quiet, and the beds comfortable. Everything was spotlessly clean. We checked out half an hour late, and they gave us no difficulty.

The only item keeping us from an excellent rating is that the corridors themselves are a little dated: the carpeting is somewhat old and the wallpaper slightly faded. Unless you intend to spend a large amount of time hanging out in the hallway, however, this isn't a huge issue, especially given the excellent rates.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MerryDevil
Write a ReviewReviews (1,016)

Reviewed December 15, 2011

This hotel is in a good location. Easy to walk to 6th St. The open spaces were large, amenities such as work out room and restaurants were fine. Wifi in room was fast. Room service was tasty, hot and very fast. The only down side for me was my room. the carpeting was dirty, the tile in the bathroom didn't look good, the shower/tub had a bad repair job, the bedding on one bed had stains, and the walls had several dirty marks on them, the hairdryer was gross with a sticky dirty handle. Just overall didn't want to walk on the flooring without shoes. I did enjoy that there were plenty of pillows. Maybe it was just my room? There was also a scent in the lobby/bar area that was clearly from a scent machine but it was very overpowering. Fortunately, it was just in that area and not the room.

1  Thank joburkholder1
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Location is close to downtown (10 min walk) but don't go down Red River St as I was harassed by crazy homeless people several times. The best thing to do would be to walk further down and walk down Congress.
Room was nice and spacious although my coffee didn't get replaced for several days. Service was great and efficient.
The breakfast buffet is rather extensive with many choices. Dinner at the hotel restaurant was so-so, only ate there cuz I couldn't be bothered to leave the hotel. There is also a lobby bar which is always rather hopping.
Gym had a separate weight room and cardio room which was great.
No issues with the hotel overall, I just don't like walking down Red River St.

Reviewed December 9, 2011

two corporate meetings at hotel in last 8 months. Great food. Rooms are cozy, excellent HD TV. Bedding is excellent. Self-parking is convienient, covered and close. Friendly service. Close to 6th street. Tends to be noisy on 6th street side of hotel.

Room Tip: Noisy on 6th street side of hotel on Thursday-Saturday.
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I just spent 2 nights at the Sheraton Austin Hotel for business. I was upgraded upon checking in to a Club King Room, even though I had booked a regular king room with a AAA discount. I also was told they were giving free internet in November as a thank you for SPG members, as well as a free welcome drink at the bar (I had a Balvenie 12!). I must say that being upgraded, getting a free drink, and learning that I didn't have to pay for wireless was pretty nice!

The hotel is very well located, not too far from 6th Street and within easy walking distance to the Capitol and Univ. of Texas campus. It's also right next to the freeway, which was convenient for me to get to the airport (20 minutes), to Georgetown for work, and in/around Austin proper for various activities and work.

My upgraded Club Room was nice and pleasant. Typical Sheraton room, a little nicer and fresher than some I've seen, but nothing spectacular. The room was clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was OK (if a little small for my tastes). The shower head was too low for me (being 6'2"), but it's a minor gripe. I had a nice view of the Capitol, too, not that I really cared!

The Club was a nice perk--especially since I hadn't paid for it. I had one dinner and one breakfast basically by just eating the food there. It wasn't the greatest food, but it was much better and more substantive than your typical continental type offerings. The hostess was always very friendly and accommodating.

Service was very good. After I had gotten into my room, I didn't think the A/C was working and called down. It started working after only a few minutes, of course, but the guest services rep called me about 15 minutes later to make sure the engineer had arrived (which he had). I was impressed with the follow-up, which doesn't happen as often as it should. The engineer was very helpful and actually improved the A/C for me, anyway.

Overall, I was very pleased with this hotel stay for the money I spent. I would definitely return for a comparable rate, but I would definitely want to get Club level again!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Bill R
Reviewed November 30, 2011

The location is great as you can walk to 6th St as well as all of downtown. Lobby is nice and big and looks upscale. The room, however, smelled very musty and old. So did the whole floor so I didn't even complain, as it seemed that that's just the way it was. I also found a very small cockroach in the tub when I first came into the room, which I killed, but after that never saw another. There were some rusty water stains on the floor under the sink counter. Overall it was ok, but I probably won't stay there again unless it's a lot cheaper than the other hotels in the area, as the rooms feel dated and doesn't smell very good.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 27, 2011

check-in service in lacking. Concierge lounge is nice, service is typically not. rooms are small as are the bathrooms. Location is great ( close to i-35 and downtown). I like the hotel, but at the end of the day it is a 20+ year old marriott ( started out as marriott at the capitol) with minimum upgrades. If you get a great rate, you will be happy. Over $150 you might be disappointed.

Room Tip: ask for a river/pool view
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business