“WAY overpriced for an average hotel”

Sheraton Austin at the Capitol
Ranked #104 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Stayed for a business conference for 3 nights.

Pluses:
+ Great workout room
+ Convenient to state capitol

Cons:
- Expensive (even with group discount)
- "Indoor" pool is connected to outdoor pool in some kind of solar heating attempt (fail); don't plan on swimming unless it's warm enough to swim outside.
- No refrigerator or microwave in room
- Not convenient to clubs or convention center (walkable, but about a mile away)
- No continental breakfast (might be expected for the price); for pay options were pretty expensive (something like paying for bacon by the strip)
- Internet access in room is an additional fee and free public hotspots in hotel are very small (not a good option during our in-hotel business event), requiring frequent re-activation
- Parking is $16/night, although we got a group rate of $8/night. Not sure what other hotels charge, but you can park on the street for $10/day.
- Curt hotel staff

Summary:
I feel that Sheraton is an outdated, snooty brand. I will never stay here again, even if business event is held in hotel. There are MUCH better options in Austin.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Angie A, General Manager at Sheraton Austin at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2011

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Sheraton fitness center and convenient location to the State Capitol. I reviewed your comments regarding your stay at the Sheraton Austin. We take all feedback very serisously. I do apologize for the experiences you had with our staff as this is very atypical and will certainly be addressed. If you would like to address you comments further with a hotel team member please send an email to info@sheratonaustinhotel.com so we may address it directly with you.

Dave Baxter

Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed October 13, 2011

Stayed here 9th Oct to 13th for a conference being held at the hotel.

Overall the hotel seemed very average. The lobby isn't anything to write home about.

Room was spacious and comfortable, cleanliness lacking a little perhaps. There was 2 napkins on our floor for 2 days til I threw them away (they were not our napkins in the first place). Stains on the carpet and the surfaces seemed to be dusty all the time. Windows are FILTHY to the point 1 morning we thought it was incredibly foggy but now it was just the dirt on the windows (inside and out)

The colour scheme of the rooms appears to be white sheets with beige walls, the walls almost look they were white once upon a time and gave a very dated feel.

Most staff seemed friendly and helpful enough, especially the front desk who helped us with a mess up with our booking.

Restaurant staff maybe not so much. Came across a little short and a couldn't be bothered attitude. One day I wanted pancakes with Strawberries for breakfast, was told the buffet is cheaper and pancakes would be $1 extra, great. Except no pancakes came :( Breakfast overall was ok, again nothing amazing although they really need a toaster that actually toasts the bread, even the setting that normally burns barely turned the bread into a toast gold colour.

The dinner menu for the restaurant is very small and uninspiring

1 complaint is paying for internet access in your room. Why?? so many hotels now inc free wifi I really think in this day and age it should be included. Also as both me and my husband wanted wifi we had to pay twice (either that or mess around trying to share a connection)

Also the vending machine didn't work on our floor or the ice machine

I wouldn't say it was centrally located, its not far from the place to be but its not close either.

Overall our stay was comfortable and enjoyable but I don't think I would stay at a Sheraton again. Something just seems to be missing.

Reviewed October 12, 2011

This hotel is perfectly located if you are going to Austin for SXSW or if you just want to have easy walking access to downtown & music/bbq spots. The rooms are large & totally decent. Nothing fancy, but reasonable.

There is a nice indoor/outdoor pool as well as a jacuzzi.

Only complaint- they use the STRONGEST perfume in the lobby & hotel hallways. Also have a really funny sign that they put up on the weekends that says that there will be a security guard checking after 1am that all people going up in the elevators are hotel guests...

Otherwise totally decent, convenient place to stay in Austin.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I would probably elect another hotel nearby if I stay in the area again.

Pros:
Plenty of power outlets
Cool little lap pad for working in bed
Clean
Friendly staff

Cons:
No Starbucks - some cheaper coffee - seems like more and more Sheratons are doing this
Adjoining rooms - even after I requested at front desk
Clock was off by 3 hours
Mini Closet - tiny tiny
Internet very slow - .75mbps down - .5 up

Room Tip: Request non-adjoining room so when your neighbor decides to use his speaker phone at 7am for a confe...
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I recently stayed 2 nights at this hotel and upon my return to my office asked my assistant to NEVER book a room there again. The desk staff was curt providing little more then your room is on floor X thanks. Forgetting that as a Starwood Platinum member there are things that they should at least ask as well as when possibly recommend (like putting me on the club level). When I arrived back at my room to do some work in the middle of the day, I thought it would be OK to put the dont disturb me sign up ... especially when the chamber person was cleaning the room next to mine as I left ... apparently when I did this, it relieved her of the responsibility to check back ... like as she left the adjacent room (yes I did see it was a woman). I returned to the hotel about 10:30 to be treated to not only an unmade room, but a front desk staff as well as MOD who again treated me to more of what would be expected from the aloof staff at some boutique hotel...

Location wise it is great if you don't need to walk anywhere and don't mind cabs ... that said I love Austin, will continue to return and will be finding other hotels that I am sure will find reason to welcome their customers and encourage the staff to work to retain customers.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Booked on HotWire so the price was nice. Great location. Easy access to anywhere in downtown. Walking distance of 6th St, though we utilized pedi-cabs.

Nice hotel bar, friendly staff at check-in. Arrived an hour early and they were happy to accomodate and let us check in early. Parking is a little absured 24 for valet. 16 to self park. But it is what it is, the nicer hotels love to nickel and dime you.

Overall, though, a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2011

The staff at the hotel are very helpful and professional. We are in the area for our 25 th wedding anniversery and they made arrangemnts that were over the top. I am very pleased that we chose this hotel on our journey.. Hats off to SPG...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple