“Dreadful, poor service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chester, United Kingdom
“Dreadful, poor service”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I forgot my toothpaste, noticed after showering, so called reception. Advised that a small guest tube would be brought up by housekeeping. 30 minutes later, no toothpaste so called again. Once again promised it would be sent up. Twenty minutes later I was called to say the hotel had run out so I would have to go to the gift shop in the lobby. I dressed went down and the shop was CLOSED! Spoke to the concierge who was very apologetic and went behind reception and appeared with a tube of toothpaste. Then I tried to dry my hair and no hairdryer, once again called reception but no hairdryer until I returned at 10pm.. Only one robe but two guests! This is supposed to be a 4 star establishment, very poor service and would not recommend. We travel each year to the US and move around hotels in different States, Sheraton has been the worst by far. Families eating Subway takeout on the indoor pool area, it just got worse.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
BeachLizard_MD
Reviewed August 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a one-day conference that she was attending and as a getaway without the kids. We got a pretty decent rate, but for a Sheraton we really expected more. The common areas . . . Lobby, patio, lounge, etc have been updated and are all very nice looking. Once you get off the elevator on your floor it all changes. The halls are narrow, dim, warm, and humid. Our standard king room was small but clean. The bed was past it's prime. Our air conditioner worked, but marginally. It was 100 degrees outside and although the thermostat was set on 60 degrees when we walked in the room temperature was closer to 78. By morning the room had finally cooled to 74 degrees. Here for business? This room was definitely not set up for working on the road. No desk, just a table and arm chair. No drawers in the nightstand or table to store charging cables, etc during the day. The bathroom is where this place shows its age. The tiles, bathtub, and fixtures are clearly due for a refresh. The breakfast buffet at the restaurant was a disappointment. Even the buffet at the Hilton Garden Inn in Flagstaff AZ blew this away. The eggs were undercooked and the bacon, sausage, biscuits, and potatos were all wilted badly from sitting on the steam table for too long. The high point was the fresh fruit, but given another change I wouldn't spend $13 for the fruit again. Since we're still guests at the hotel as I write this I'll let you know that as of 3:30 PM when I returned to the room it still hadn't been cleaned and the air conditioner that my wife asked to have checked isn't performing any better. This place was convenient because my wife's conference is being held on site and it's location in downtown Austin is good (try Serrano's Mexican Grill next door . . . Fantastic!). We also got a decent rate, especially since it included wi-fi and parking ($12.95 and $16 a day, each otherwise). If I were to come back, though, I won't give this place a second thought, even at half the price. We really expected more from a Sheraton.

Room Tip: The weekend crowd seemed pretty sparse. You could probably negotiate room upgrades or free internet...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeachLizard_MD
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I am a platinum SPG so felt compelled to stay here during a recent visit to Austin.

Building and lobby were decent. Bar open late which is a plus. Rooms however were very average. The carpets in the hallways were stained and old. Was given a free breakfast at the restaurant due to status and it was awful.

Parking is $18 a day and garage was empty. I wonder why?

I would stay at the Hilton down the street if I were to come back.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Jayman11
San Francisco
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed here twice in April. The rooms are standard Sheraton fare which is nice. Very nice valet attendants that were really helpful recommending a restaurant when we arrived at 9:20 on a Sunday night. Great view of the capitol building. One complaint is the pool area. The actual pool is nice but there are no real amenities. Old worn out or broken lounge chairs, no tables or upright chairs. Not enough chairs considering the size of the hotel. There is a beautiful tree that provides shade but they should still have umbrellas considering it's often 100+ degrees. The club is very nice and provides a pretty good breakfast and nice happy hour. The attendant Lacey was super sweet and helpful. One other thing refrigerators in the room would be nice especially considering the heat chilled water would be nice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
mcallen
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The hotel itself is nicely layed out, but there is a huge problem with the pool area, which is inclosed. The smell of chlorine is HORRIBLE. You can even smell it as soon as you get off the elevators, and the pool is INCLOSED. You can even smell the chlorine in the restaurant a floor above. We used the gym many times and had to put up with the smell of the chlorine, even though there are several doors between the pool and the gym.
Also, the hotel is slightly farther from the main downtown area of Austin that I would have proffered.
On a good note though, the service was really great and the people all had friendly faces.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 1, 2011

In July 2011, we were part of a wedding party to stay at the Sheraton. I checked this site for reviews and saw some derogatory comments but our wedding block of rooms had already been booked at this hotel.
Those comments proved wrong! The pool was crystal clean as was the hot tub. No one was drinking alcohol by the pool ot hot tub - the area was very clean. The workout rooms were excellent also. The restaurant -the Landmark was lovely as was the excellent service. The bar/coffee shop in the lobby made a great cup of coffee and equally nice drinks. The individuals working at this hotel from the concierce desk to the front office
were pleasant and accomodating ! We had a very happy time at the Sheraton with absolutely no problems! We highly recommend this hotel. It was easy to walk downtown
and to the car rentals which are right across the street. Call the Sheraton if you have an event- they were also able to offer discounts and ideas that made this wedding an even more memorable time! I will definitely use this hotel over other hotels next time we come to Austin!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Austin Hotel while I was in town for 3 days of business. It had everything I was looking for in a hotel. The valet parking was quick and easy, the rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff were all friendly and competent. The hotel is in a nice location- close to the University of Texas campus and the Texas State Capitol Building.

At the end of my trip, I had 0 complaints- everything was very good. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone traveling in Austin.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business