“Rodent in room!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #159 of 194 Hotels in Austin
Dallas
“Rodent in room!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I just returned today from 2 nights at the La Quinta in Austin, TX on Oltorf. I am an Elite member. I feel the need to provide the following information regarding my stay.

I awoke the 2nd morning to find a $20 ziplock bag of Robertson’s Beef Jerky on the floor that I purchased in Salado on the way down from Irving, TX. I picked up the bag of jerky and noticed it had torn holes on the bag and beef jerky seemingly gnawed at. The bag was lying on floor in front of the refrigerator I requested which had a very moldy smell from underneath it. I’m pretty sure this was where a rodent dragged my jerky and then fled under the refrigerator.

This amazed me as I have never had this experience but once in my life in the 70s. I immediately moved out. That place was eventually condemned and destroyed. It will take a whole lot of courage for me to be brave enough to stay at another La Quinta. No one should have that experience.

As I checked out around 11am, I informed the front desk and showed her the beef jerky bag. She wouldn’t touch it. I was informed the manager was not there. I left my name and phone number.

When I returned home, I received a message from the manager. After talking to the manager, he said he would get back to me regarding the situation.

Besides the evidence of a rodent in the room, a moldy smell and losing $20, there was an issue with the carpet and the maid service. The carpet turned my feet black leaving black footprints as I entered the shower and the maid service repeatedly slammed a door at least a dozen times in the room next to me.

This room was considered an upgrade.

The manager got back to me after 5 days. His resolution was to reimburse me for 2 nights and one additional night and was told there was no evidence of a rodent in room #163. Sorry to say, that is not even close to make amends for having a rodent in my room. I will never stay at the La Quinta on Oltorf again and I'm amazed to be told there was no rodent in the room.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank ray66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Corpus Christi, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

The "non-smoking" room reeked of cigarettes. The night clerk was asleep, but fortunately the nationwide reservations number answered.
The towels looked and felt like they were 20 years old.
No green space around the motel, except in the area around the pool.
The building overall looked rough.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Burton B

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

McKinney, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We rented three rooms this past weekend. Front desk was friendly and helpful, but other than having a nice pool, that was pretty much all this hotel going for them. Rooms were clean, but we were in old section of the hotel. Carpets were very stained, toilet was hard to get flushed and tended to continue running after flushing. Where breakfast was concerned, they have this crowded into a very small corner of their lobby with about 2 small tables to sit at. So, they have very little to offer other than make your own waffle, and when each waffle takes 3-4 minutes, and you have 6 or 7 people waiting in line, well...you do the math. And about 2:30 in the morning, we could hear someone yelling "Help" over and over. We were afraid to even open the curtain to see what was going on, but shortly after that, we did hear sirens. We were in Glen Rose a couple of weeks ago and stayed at LaQuinta there. It was great! For what we had to pay however, this hotel is badly in need of a make-over, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

roblems i experienced while staying with la quinta oltorf

1. i reserved a room with microwave and refrigerator. i did not get a room with either.

2. AC was not cooling. Very uncomfortable nights. No fans available on premises to help alleviate the heat.

3. Up for 2 nights with kids yelling and partying at all hours of the night into the morning.

4. intoxicated man urinating in the bushes about 10 feet from the property's front door. (mind you, i have children)

5. Clogged toilet

6. Dead insects on bed pillows

7. Badly stained carpets

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

After reading the terrible reviews, one even saying dogs swam in the pool, we stayed here.
We were on a 6 week trip in USA having been in LA,Vegas and SF prior.
Had stayed at 4-5 star hotels but needed to save money for a few nights.
We booked this the day before as there wasn't much around and didn't want to spend to much. Two single woman from Australia. we actually liked it, was cheap and cheerful. Free wifi, we wanted to party, beds were comfortable and not to much nosie.

Room Tip: At the back away near pool from the highway.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Where to start?.... There was a weird dorm frig/microwave combo near door but couldn't be pushed against wall because of a large electrical receptacle that was heavily overloaded with four plugs going into one combiner. Carpet was stained, there were a few places where holes in the wall had been patched poorly. Overall not very clean. All this and they charged $139/ night!
We will never stay here again and probably think twice before we ever consider a La Quinta anywhere.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hamrow
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

It was a king suite w/sofa sleeper. The rooms were large and clean. It was quiet despite being next to the Interstate. The sleeper was easy to deploy. The breakfast was available to 9:30 or later . The location is convenient to UT and the Capitol.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family