“Good value”

Ranked #184 of 203 Hotels in Austin
College Station, Texas
“Good value”
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

A previous Motel 6 experience left me a bit leery of trying them again - but I needed to be in town one extra night and refused to stay at the other location any longer. Check in was quick, staff had their hands full - but were all very courteous, room size was nice.. and (most importantly for me) pet friendly. Quick stay - and there were some questionable activity going on outside - but overall a good experience. I'd return back for my future appointments in Austin.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Garland, Texas
Reviewed April 15, 2014

To keep it short-I booked 4 rooms for 2 nights for a school district sponsored trip with 4 families. Six children were competing in a state competition. When we entered our rooms all 4 families were greeted by the smell of covered up cigarette smoke. One room had no lights except the one in the bathroom. One room, honestly, had no toilet tissue in the bathroom. Walls in all the rooms were dirty and smudged. The carpet had stains all over it and we're sticky when you walked on them. Mold in the showers etc. Now the best part- there were prostitutes on the upper balcony with their pimps and johns hanging out in the parking lot-an eye opener for our 12-15 year olds. And the topper- a syringe on the edge of the pool. Luckily the pool was closed but the syringe was in plain view from our room. We were stuck no other rooms available this weekend or we would have moved. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 18, 2014

That turned out to be the worst experience that I’ve ever had in a hotel.

For starters, when I booked the place it was called the Baymont Inn, and it seemed nice on pics. They were charging me about $700 for 9 days, which seemed reasonable. When I got there, the name had changed to a Motel 6 (but Booking.com never warned me), and it was a complete mess.

I had tried to request an early check in and they denied it, and they even said they couldn't store my bags. I had to pay an extra night so I would have a place to put my bags. But surprise: The price was without city taxes, so the whole thing ended up adding to almost $1,100, which is not okay for that kind of hotel.

When I got there, their credit card machine didn’t work, which resulted in me having to pay for part of my stay in debit.

They put in the first floor and there were people walking and laughing in front of my room door until 3AM on my first night there, their air conditioner kept turning on and off in the middle of the night, scaring and bothering me with the noise, there was hair in the sink and in the bed, proving that the room hadn’t been cleaned properly before I got there, and I found 3 spiders in just one day.

Also, I needed Wi-Fi for work and they said they had it, but, surprise(!), it didn't work, obviously.

One day in that hotel and I knew I couldn’t stand it anymore, so I asked for a partial refund, which they gave me, and went to a nicer hotel across the street.

Now, I’m looking at my credit card statement and guess what? They charged an extra $137 when I left, without me authorizing that transaction, because I had already paid about $400 in debit (they gave me a refund of about $200).

I’m not a very demanding person as for comfort, I usually book cheap hotels and I’ve stayed in many hostels and bed and breakfasts in my life. But, honestly, I had never stayed in a worse hotel than that.

If you read other reviews in this page you'll see a lot of people had similar problems. STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Clifton, Tx
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Now, this is a Motel 6-- they said about 2 months-- was Baymont before. Sheets were not changed from previous occupant. Asked for fresh sheets second day there and got them. Room not cleaned the third day. Upon checkout, several others in lobby said same-- room not cleaned. Desk clerk said there were 7 people cleaning rooms. Toilet bowl had mildew-- hundreds of spots, I hoped it was rust- I cleaned it on 2nd day. It was mildew! At checkout, another person said he bought cleaning supplies and cleaned his mildewed toilet. Desk clerk said manager was out for 2 days-- until Monday. This was a Saturday of SXSW -- the busiest weekend of the year(?) charging $120 for a $50 room. Who leaves on that busy a weekend? Terrible wifi connection -- had 1 day of service of 4 days. TERRIBLE stay.WORST motel stay ever-- I am frugal-- stay in cheaper motels. This was neglect! Who leaves all rooms uncleaned and does not clean toilets BEFORE the mildew makes hundreds of match head sized spots-- that takes days of not being cleaned! BBB will get this same report. Picture of the toilet is attached below.

Room Tip: Run away from this horribly managed motel. (I have many TripAdvisor reviews & 99% are positive.)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Runaway Bay, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Myself and three family members had two rooms at this property during our annual trip to the State Basketball Tournament. The previous year, the property had been a Baymont Inn, in need of some TLC, but perfectly adequate. We reserved our rooms for this year nearly a year ago and were unaware that the property had been sold to Motel 6 until we arrived. Upon first glance, Motel 6 had removed what few amenities the Baymont had provided. No breakfast at all, only a single coffee maker in the lobby. No complimentary dryer, fridge, shampoo, etc. Our room had no toiler paper roll, no plug for the bathtub, two small towels for a four-person room, no rack or rail in the shower area to actually hang those two towels on, no channel guide for the TV, no markings on the phone on how to make outgoing calls, and a CSI-Worthy Crime Scene stain of some kind on the floor of the room. Since we were going to be watching Basketball games all day and only needed the rooms to sleep in, we grumbled and went on with our usual tournament routines. The first day, upon returning to the rooms at 11pm, we found both rooms had not been visited by housekeeping at all. A call to the front desk revealed that if we wanted clean towels, we would have to wait until 11:30 pm. We grumbled and used our dirt towels from the previous night and slept in our unmade beds. The next day, after again being out all day at games, we returned to find that ONE bed had been made, our dirty towels had been removed, but NO CLEAN towels or soap had been left in the room. The trash had not been emptied, and nothing had been done to our room except the ONE bed being made.....and our only towels being removed and not replaced. I ended up in the lobby at 11:30 pm, with guests from 8 other rooms, ALL of us waiting for towels and soap. Apparently, housekeeping, if you are lucky enough to get it, does not always entail actually getting clean towels and soap at this particular property. The new owners have completely GUTTED this property and have taken every possible amenity out of it in order to squeeze every last ounce of profit out of the place. A trip to the ice machines will show you that they even removed ALL the vending machines. No cokes, snacks, etc. The entire property has also been surrounded by a new chain-link fence that completely blocks all access to getting to any of the nearby convenience stores. No matter how far back your room is on the property, you have to hike out to the sidewalk on the freeway frontage road in front of the property, and then walk down the street to get to any store. A side-street entry that you could previously use to get to the stores is now completely fenced off. All this and we have not even mentioned how you can not actually sleep at night due to the all the noise and questionable activities going on outside your rooms at all hours of the night. Four nights total and we had complete maid service for our room.....ONE day. Managers are conveniently never on property or available to reach for any complaints. The poor gal working the front desk was highly apologetic and was genuinely embarrassed by the condition of this property. If u have reservations for this property, do yourself and cancel now while you can. You would be better off sleeping in your car.

Room Tip: Third-World hotels in war zones have better rooms and services. Bring your own towels and soap!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family