“Austin Highland Mall La Quinta - In town for Paul McCartney Concert”

La Quinta Inn Austin University Area
Ranked #157 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed May 26, 2013

North end of I-35, we checked in quickly, even a bit earlier than 3pm; Betty, front desk, best ever. We unpacked into our room then walked to the parking lot shared TexMex restaurant for lunch. This share is a pleasant stroke of luck and genius for La Quinta. The room’s a/c worked well, just the right hum to sleep to. Good bed too. We never heard any other guests or traffic. Breakfast is their (newer) usual fare. Check out, again Betty, was waiting on me WITH receipt. I choose La Quinta because they are drive up to the door convenient. I can't speak to WIFI quality as I use my device's service.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Vistoria Thomson at the front desk was really unhelful. I arrived w/o a reservations and ask her about their rate. She said it was $79.99. I asked her is they would honor what the lq app was offering which was $69.00. She said no so I booked on line (right in front of her using my iPhone). She said it was the same rate walk inn or using the app. When I asked her why she made me do it on line she said I did not tell her that lq app room rates are plus taxes.... When I tried to pay with cash she said the hotel did not take cash. I asked her if all lq had the same policy, she said yes. This is probably the 20th time I stay at this hotel chain and is the first time I have to pay with a credit card because cash was to accepted. I will find out but it is my impression that if I make a reservation the hotel would need to display this very unique payment policy. I have traveled to 49 states within the US and this is the first hotel that don't take cash. This is my second bad experience with lq. Let's make it the last one...On top of all the above the hotel is very very noisy. When I left for dinner I realized there are so many other hotels almost next door that are much better and about the same price. Don't stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
A La Quinta traveler
Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
Reviewed April 7, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Bright Side breakfast was terrible. Coffee super strong. Go out for breakfast! The rooms, including the bathroom were clean. Beds were comfortable. Although it was directly under the expressway it was not noisy. We were able to get a good night sleep and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is not a bad place to stay, but as others have said, it can be noisy. Our first night was a Friday, and our room was located downstairs near a stairway. Apparently there were late arrivals coming in to town for the weekend and their noise on the parking lot and along the sidewalks and stairways was enough to wake me a few times. The room was a standard 70's vintage LQ which has been maintained pretty well over the years. The room and grounds all looked good with regard to cleanliness and condition. The check-in procedure was quick and efficient. The rate I was charged was lower than any other LaQuinta offered and I would say it was a decent value. The AAA rate for Friday night was $50 for a king bed and for Saturday it was $68. For such a central motel in Austin, that seems pretty good to me. If I were to come here again, I would ask for a room in back, further from the highway and the comings and goings of the restaurant next door.
The TV only offered a basic selection of channels without HBO or any other premium channels although it was a nice flatscreen new model. The room also did have the LQ standard microwave and fridge. The breakfast was pretty basic, consisting of the standard dry cereals, yogurt, fruit, and factory produced baked goods, coffee and juice. Oh, one more thing about the rooms...more electrical plugs would be a help in the age of cell phones and laptops. Overall, this is still a good room for a fair price.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room at the back in hopes of a quieter night.