“Not As Nice As I Expected”

Hyatt Regency Austin
Ranked #17 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Texas
“Not As Nice As I Expected”
Reviewed December 13, 2010

The Hyatt is located on Barton Springs right on the water, which is a pretty location and right beside downtown so it's very convenient. Unfortunately, I did not find the hotel to be of 4 star quality. For parking you have 2 choices: either pay $18 for valet or $12/day for self parking in a big parking lot next to the hotel. We opted for self parking and had to haul our luggage from about the length of a full block in cold weather...not a 4 star experience. The staff was nice but from my hotel room I could not for some reason call the front desk. From the amount of dust on my phone, I gather nobody had been in my room in a few weeks. The rooms are quite small and the bathrooms are tiny with very low ceilings. The mattresses are hard and not comfortable...unless you like very hard mattresses. The television had few channels, and did not include the Disney Channel...much to my child's dismay. There's a huge atrium outside the rooms (it's an open floorplan) and there was a big party going on while we were there so there was a lot of noise that traveled right up to my bedroom as we tried to get rest for our early morning the next day. I'm sad to say that I think this is more of a 3 1/2 star hotel in my opinion.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cambridge
Reviewed December 12, 2010

I had hears about the Respire rooms at the Hyatt that were supposed to be hypoallergenic. Upon checking-in, I asked the desk clerk if they had any of these special rooms available. Mr. D. Yulo was very nice and kindly booked me in one of these rooms, especially after hearing I was running a marathon he next day. I suffer from constant year-around hay fever and take multiple Rx medications just to be able to function daily. I didn't sneeze once during my stay here. No chemical smells or perfumed sheets/fresheners here; the room even had a special air filter. This will have me coming back to the Hyatt for good...

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank fly4sms
Brookville, Ohio, USA
Reviewed November 26, 2010

I recently traveled to Austin with my husband and three year old son we had an excellent stay at the Hyatt. I book this room through priceline and got a great rate. The hotel was really nice and only a short drive from downtown. It as was an excellent deal.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 17, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights while in town for a wedding and chose it for the central location in the city. It worked out very well and was super convenient. The hotel itself is lovely and the rooms are very modern and very clean. I loved the bed, it was so comfortable and the linens were soft. I didn't want to leave the room! Great a/c and great hot water/water pressure in the bathroom. Flat screen tv was a nice touch. Had a great view of the city and the river. The hotel was very busy because of a Longhorns game that weekend and I must say, I never had a problem with noise once. It was super quiet! I did try the breakfast buffet in the restaurant and it was absolutely delicious. I guess the only thing I didn't love was the $12/day self parking fee, but I had no trouble finding a space. All in all, this was an excellent place to stay in Austin.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Uvalde, Texas
Reviewed November 17, 2010

Stayed here because my son had a college visit @ UT-Austin. Be prepared - If you want wi-fi, you have to pay for it. If you want internet in your room - pay $9.95/night. Oh, they have a "business center" and you'll pay $5.95 for 15 minutes on the computer. No coffee in the lobby, and even if you park yourself in the empty parking lot, you'll pay $12/night. The room was quiet and comfortable, beds are small and no fitted sheet, so if you roll around at night, prepare to wake up on a bare mattress - if you want fresh towels each day, you'll have to request them because this hotel is "going green"...for $207+/night, I expected a class coffee mug, not paper. If you want a view of anything other than a parking lot, it's an upgrade fee of $30. The employees are top notch and very friendly. They will easily find other employment when this place goes under or is under new management which I predict will be within 6 months. There is nothing close to this location in the way of shopping or restaurants. You will have to drive to everything. This hotel gets convention business but I doubt it gets many repeat customers and I won't stay here again. This place needs to COMPETE - offer FREE wi-fi, phone, internet and stop charging for every little thing!!! Oh - there's a charge for local calls on the phone and even if you use your own calling card, there's a charge - not a problem w/a cell phone, but just letting you know!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank InTheCountry78801
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed November 3, 2010

My husband and I were there for a group event and decided to arrive a few days early as we have stayed at the Hyatt previously and always enjoyed it. We were there for 6 nights and 7 days. The front desk staff goes out of their way to accomodate you and everyone is very friendly. In the past we have noticed a scent of air freshener, but this year it was so over powering that I called the front desk and asked if there was something in the room that could be removed. They assured me that there was not and said that they would let housekeeping know not to use any chemical air freshener. That message was never communicated to housekeeping. On day 2 our room was soaked in air freshener. We set the air conditioner to keep the fan on medium constantly, but ultimately needed to leave the room to get some fresh air. For the rest of our stay we did not allow housekeeping in the room. We have been home for 10 days and our shoes, suitcases and anything that I have not been able to wash still smell like chemical air freshener even though I have kept them outside to air them out.

The Pros-
- Beds are comfy. Firm, but not too firm.
- Rooms are very clean and dust free. Definitely a high level of attention is going into the cleaning.
- Air conditioning can be controlled and turned down to 66 degrees farenheit
- Staff is consistent over the 5 years that we have gone there several of the same staff are there.
- Great location- close to SoCo and downtown. Everything is very accessable. You can walk, or if you prefer take a cab for less than the cost of renting a car and paying for the daily parking fee.
- Food in the restaraunt and bar area is good.
Cons-
- Did I mention how bad the air freshener was?
- We called the front desk for an extra luggage rack 3 times over 2 days and ultimately got one by asking house keeping for one directly and they gave us the one from the room they were cleaning.
- the out door seating should have a smoke free area.

All said, next year I will call ahead to see if they have an air purifier that they can put in the room.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Robinson, Texas
Reviewed October 28, 2010

My wife and I checked in for our 24th anniversary. The bell staff, valets, wait staff and concierge were all extremely helpful and friendly. The room had a beautiful view of the lake and downtown. I could not have asked for a nicer view. The only things I found to be outside the norm was that we did not know breakfast and parking could have been included in our reservation (we found out while eating breakfast) and the 1 liter bottled water that was conveniently in the room was $5.00 each. I've been to airports and sports events but that's getting a little ridiculous. The valet parking was $18/day which seemed a little steep to me as well but if you go in an out a lot, it might be worth it. If not, I recommend self parking to save yourself a few bucks. The Alamo Draft house is a great place to visit and is just a few blocks south. Sixth street is about 7 blocks north, across the river, short enough to walk if you are into walking. We actually took a bicycle taxi down there which was really nice and walked back after dinner. Overall, the staff and the unusually comfortable king size bed made this place shine.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple