“Just get a room”

Hyatt Regency Austin
Ranked #14 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

With a view of the lake. Nice hotel, exceptional service, it's close enough to walk to everything downtown. Restaurant is average. Nice pool but a cold hot tub, only about 100' but it was that hot outside so it was ok. Good walking trails around the lake for the ones that like to run or walk. Basically they had everything you needed plus a little. Go there.

Stayed: July 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (2,271)

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Perfect location, awesome view of the lake, staff was friendly and the service was 5 star.
We had the opportunity to hangout at cool downtown venues, and relax paddle board on Lady Bird Lake.

Will 100% return

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SSHotelman
Reviewed July 28, 2014

The actual experience at the hotel was great. The booking was a nightmare though. We were given the number to what turned out to be Reservation Counter which totally messed up my reservation. I asked for a certain type of room and ended up with a basic room. I called back to ask about it and the Reservation Counter said I would have to call the front desk at the hotel to find out what kind of room I had. What a pain. When we arrived at the hotel, it was noted that we had trouble with the booking agency so they were kind enough to upgrade us to the room we originally requested. We arrived early and the room wasn't ready so I advised Erik that I would go to the bar to wait. He kindly offered two drink coupons to us. Sitting on the outside patio was really comfortable with the breeze off of the water. The room was excellent. The king bed & pillows so comfortable I slept to 9am which I haven't done in years! The breakfast buffet was very good and the location was the best. The valets at the hotel was so nice and went above and beyond in service. Such a nice visit and will come again.

Room Tip: Must have room with view of the lake!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I have stayed here over a number of years, usually at least once a summer to visit family and friends in Austin. Born in Austin, I yearn for the nostalgia and love the feeling of coming home--ad the Hyatt Regency on Ladybird Lake is part of that experience. I find the welcome from every staff member genuine and helpful; the location is ideal with views of the lake from the comfortable deck where drinks and meals can be enjoyed. The pool is the right size and scale, and if you want water activities on the lake, they are a few steps away on the dock next to the hotel. The rooms are comfortable and quiet; beds are luxurious. The Starbucks for morning coffee and snacks suits my style completely--no need for an overpriced, over-large meal. It's an easy walk over the bridge to the lively downtown area with museums, great restaurants, live music--but far enough away that you can just relax by the pool. I like not needing to get my car out of the lot. For all it offers, I find the price just about right. I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else, and neither should you.

Room Tip: view of the lake; higher up is quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary M
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I stayed here for a business trip. The hotel is big, spacious, attractive and comfortable. There's a Starbucks, a restaurant, and a bar. The restaurant has excellent, efficient friendly staff. It's relaxing and has great views of downtown and Lady Bird Lake. The Starbucks has decent snacks. It looks a bit slapped-together in a hurry, though.

My steak was perfectly cooked and the Argentinian red wine was definitely a cut above. For breakfast, it's better to eat here than getting room service. It's prohibitively expensive. I ordered a bagel with cream cheese, salmon, capers, onion from room service, and it was wonderful! But freakishly expensive. The breakfast buffet is less expensive and has more variety.

The rooms are not super big, but the beds are fantastic! Perfect pristine white sheets and perfect mattresses with just the right amount of cushion. There's a modem jack and Wi-Fi. Both might cost you. Be sure to ask about pricing. Parking costs. Local calls cost. In fact, the hotel charges you for everything that they possibly can that even hints of service. Just be aware and ask if you're not sure. Don't be shy.

The hotel is walking distance to downtown entertainment, but the heat might be a bit off-putting in the summer. It's worth it though if you want to go to 6th St. or the bat bridge. Also, there's not much in the way of shopping nearby. You would need to drive a distance to get to a mall or shopping center.

I would stay at this hotel again, no problem. The staff are attentive and friendly. Great rooms and beds. I would just be more savvy about which $ervice$ I take advantage of.

Room Tip: Wi-Fi was free for 2 days. This might change depending on length of stay. If you're coming from...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Where do I start? Im not really a fan of dishing out bad reviews, but from a family perspective this hotel ranks at the bottom of my list. It is unashamedly a conference hotel with badly designed rooms, the narrowest double beds that I have ever seen (wife had to sleep with daughter) but above all is the hotel at best is 'tired' and in our personal experience is unclean.

The first room we checked into had an unclean brown carpet (brown covers up a multitude of sins) and the bathroom floor was also well below an acceptable clean standard. Stains throughout the room included walls, doors and bedlinen. We were going out for dinner and my wife asked to change the room and we were told that we would be 'upgraded' and the staff assured us that there was no need to check the room out and that on our return 'we would not be disappointed'. The new room was the same silly design as the previous one only dirtier and the 'upgrade' can only have referred to the view from the window (maybe the view was designed to take your mind off the state of the room). On the bedside table, a set of complimentary ear plugs was provided 'to help you get a better nights sleep'. Any hotel that has to provide ear plugs tells you a lot about the market it is pursuing.

The wifi dropped out at short intervals, probably the longest period of continual functioning was 10 minutes and it was frequently seconds.

Mostly the staff appeared to try their best, the carpet in our second room was steam cleaned, but many stains were not removed. We were offered a complimentary cookie as a token of apology along with a hand written note of contrition. Nice gesture, but falls way short of anything meaningful.

Without doubt, by a long, long way the most disappointing hotel I have stayed in. My wife will never go anywhere near this chain of hotels again because of this experience.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank SaintRP9
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Very nice hotel. The new parking deck has been added, but all the construction is not complete.

Very nice facilities. Breaksfast buffet is $17.95. Off menu starts about $14.00.

Parking is $19.00 a day, and $14.95 a day for internet, unless you have a room rate with these amenities included.

Bed was very comfortable, not broken down or leaning to one side. Work desk had numerous electrical outlets, which are a necessity today. Unfortunately, there are still hotels, higher end, that have not added additional outlets or even a outlet strip, shich would be helpful..

South end of the "Austin Bat Bridge" very close for the event. Lights of downtown Austin or the river are visible, based on your room location.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business