“Lakeside views”

Hyatt Regency Austin
Ranked #14 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

This is an older hotel that's been cosmetically updated, but a new ballroom is under construction now. The king room w river view was fine but not as large as other kings i have stayed in in austin at lower price points. No fridge. Decent mattress but most la quintas' are better! The atrium apparently gets noisy enough that you might need ear plugs, but I didn't have a problem. Access to trail by Ladybird lake. Fantastic view of downtown Austin. Good location off South Congress. Attended a conference as well as stayed here. Catering was really good...breakfast and dinner. Lunch was typical conference chicken and potatoes. not bad but blah. Overall,

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ThePracticalTraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (2,273)

Reviewed November 6, 2013

The rooms are very small, no refrigerators, no microwaves, very out dated. The room service food is expensive and was horrible to taste. The only food available was either sushi or over priced steak. Not a family hotel at all, do not bring your kids here!

• Stayed: November 2013
HyattSupport, Social Media Mgr at Hyatt Regency Austin, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for your recent review. We're very sorry to hear about your dining experience as our hotel just recently revamped our children's menu this year. ( http://www.hyattflavorjourney.com/menu/ ) Perhaps there was some miscommunication with our staff, which we will gladly pass along to our management. Again, we hope you'll give us another chance and request a fridge and microwave during your next stay so we may accommodate you. Safe travels!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Hubby and I have been here with all our kiddos as well as on a romantic trip. Hotel is great for both. Staff is very accomodating. Rooms are spacious and clean. Pool is nice and well-kept. This hotel has the best views of Austin if you get a room that faces the lake. It's totally worth the price. Can't wait until they're done building the parking garage. Excellent location as well.

Room Tip: For the best views of Austin, get a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2013

The hotel itself is much like all of the other Hyatts that I have stayed at through the years. By the looks of it, this one dates back to the 70's or 80's but it has been well maintained. The rooms were will maintained, comfortable, and modern. Service was polite, professional and helpful as you would expect. There is a huge expansion underway which will, I assume, add more rooms and conference space.

What sets this hotel out from the others is its location and views of the river. The hotel is located just south of downtown across Congress Bridge. It is an easy walk to the downtown hotels and restaurants as well as the activity along 6th Street. It is also located near the South Congress restaurant and bar scene.

Another advantage is that it is a short walk to view the bats that live under Congress Bridge. Every evening in the summer and early fall the bats can be seen streaming out for their evening activity (just as the sun is setting). For those not familiar, this is a popular and impressive sight. There is good viewing from the top of the bridge. However, I prefer to view from the park on the other side of Congress near the American Statesman Building. Just exit the hotel from the pool area down to the foot path along the river and under the bridge to the park on the other side of the bridge.

Room Tip: Get a river view room if possible.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is my second time stay in this hotel, and this hotel has the best view in Austin!!! So when you make reservation pls ask for the river view room. Besides, the room is nice and clean, the service is always good as all the other hyatt hotels I stayed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I would highly recommend this hotel! They certainly know how to cater to conference groups -- and to the harried event coordinator. I found the staff both friendly and helpful. Each staff member took every last minute change in stride! They never batted an eyelash or missed a beat. Whatever we asked for was accomplished. Each of my colleagues enjoyed their stay and said this was one of best conferences they've ever attended. What I liked most was the work out facilities and the pool and patio areas. The bar had enough TVs for everyone to be happy. The food served for my conference was a huge hit (which is rare for hotel food). We had the Stay Fit selection for lunch and the group couldn't stop talking about the delicious vegetables! The success of my event was due in no small part to the staff that helped me plan the event before the first guest foot hit the property. I'm glad we picked this hotel!

If I had one complaint (and it really isn't a complaint) it would be the corporate pricing structure for some items on the conference menu (sodas, tea, or A/V) But hey, it wasn't the staff in Austin: That's more a Hyatt corporate pricing thing. The staff felt my pain and went out of their way to make it up to us. If not for that one thing, I'd say my event was perfect. I plan to stay there again -- this time for a much needed vacation. I'd give a big thank you to Candice, Ashley, and Jennifer! Oh and to Russell, in Guest Services! He was amazing!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view (I didn't have one!) but my guests did! And they loved it! The...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I highly recommend the river view rooms.

We wanted to stay somewhere near downtown, and this hotel was a great choice. Beautiful views of downtown, congress bridge, and the river. I haven't been anywhere nearby that has such breathtaking views.
Very good value compared to other hotels in the area.
The casual bar/restaurant is really good. Great drinks & amazing avocado tacos.

The location is great! Walking distance to downtown and near the cool shopping district on South Congress. I went to college in Austin, so I'm pretty familiar with the area & hotels. This one is my new favorite if I'm staying near downtown.

Room Tip: make sure you get a river view room! Otherwise you'll see little other than construction.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple