“Not impressed or happy at all!!!!!!”

Hyatt Regency Austin
Ranked #18 of 199 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
LAREDO
“Not impressed or happy at all!!!!!!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I arrived and was unable to find parking, after going around the parking lot several times I asked the parking attendant if they had space or not and she had me park in the fire lane. I couldn't believe they had me parked there but there was already in the fire lanes. In their defense they appear to be building a new parking multi=level parking lot. Check-in was fine except for the fact that they wanted a $50 per day deposit ($150) since I was paying cash. The other members in my party were not required to pay this because the system was having problems. The room was decent but seemed a little small. The Air Conditioner system appears to have a sensor so it shuts down when there is no movement so I woke up and had to get out from under my blankets till it cooled down again. The room was not made up after my first night but was done the second. Checkout was very efficient and I thought all was well until later in the evening during my trip home I found out they had placed a hold on my account for one days rate. I called the front desk and they could not figure out the reason that my debit card was zapped since I had paid for my room and deposit in advance. It has been 2 days and still funds are being withheld. Overall I was not impressed it is a beautiful facility but I have gotten better overall service in a super 8 motel in Austin. As you can tell I am not a satisfied customer but it wasn't just one problem there were numerous.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to downtown attractions and right on the running trail. The service was great and the staff very accommodating. We did have a problem finding a parking space one day, but that will be resolved with the new parking garage.

Room Tip: would definitely pay the extra amount to get a river view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend in early August. As a Hyatt Diamond member, I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite upon check-in which was a pleasant surprise. The suite was quite large, but the decor seemed just a bit dated and tired to me. The hotel is in a great location...right on the Lake, adjacent to the Congress St. bridge and just south of downtown Austin. We had breakfast on both days in the restaurant and were happy with our meals. We also had drinks in the bar on the first night. The service in the bar was prompt, although I think the drinks were way over priced. Now for the things needing improvement (in my opinion anyway). The pool is a bit small and lacking when compared to the rest of the property. If you want to walk to South Congress you have to walk in the middle of the road as there isn't a really good, direct way to get off the property. You think this would be a fairly easy fix especially with the safety concerns. With that said, my biggest complaint was the parking, or the lack of parking. It seems that patrons to other bars and restaurants opt to use the self parking on weekends as well which left us with valet parking as our only option on Saturday night after a long drive back from Fredricksburg. The hotel seemed to be very full during our stay and you'd think the hotel would consider limiting parking to hotel guests only, but that didn't appear to be the case. I would assume that this will improve with the extension under construction that seems to include parking, but we'll see. Fortunately for us the construction noise wasn't an issue.

Room Tip: Avoid the side of the hotel adjacent to the construction currently underway.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I will make this one simple - despite some construction being done near the hotel, the stay was wonderful. Fast check in and check out, great location next to the river, nice room.

And this rarely happens, but I ate at the restaurant twice. Their menu was actually pretty good for a hotel restaurant, with tons of healthy options.

I recommend this hotel for work travel for sure.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I booked a reservation at the Hyatt Regency and was required to pre-pay for the full amount. I later cancelled the reservation within the allowed time (45 days before stay) and should have been issued a full refund. Three weeks after the cancellation, I still had not received my refund. After multiple attempts to recovery my deposit by contacting the hotel directly and Hyatt's customer service, I had to file a dispute directly with my bank. I am an new Hyatt Gold Passport Member and I couldn't be less enthused about the customer service and handling of my reservation/cancellation. They were certainly eager to accept my money and less than fair when returning it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TWardle
HyattSupport, Social Media Mgr at Hyatt Regency Austin, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Please accept our sincere apology about the wait on your refund. After your cancellation on 7/24 we had a glitch in our system where a batch of our credit card transactions were not processed in a timely manner. It took working with credit card merchant services to resolve this issue that significantly delayed your refund which was ultimately refunded on 8/8. Please let us know if you have any other inquiries, we appreciate your patience during that time. Have a great day.
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I had some of the greatest customer service that I've ever experienced at the Hyatt Regency Austin. Their staff is stellar, they make every guest feel as if they're a VIP. I really liked the weather forecast included in their wake up calls. The bar in the lobby is par for the course on expensive hotel bars, but there's not much selection on their side of the lake. Walk across the famous Bat Bridge and you're inundated with Austin's finest choices to suit anyone's taste. My chief complaint about the hotel is the way sound carries up through the open column architecture of the place - the rooms are on the edge and there middle of the hotel is a big open space. The noise level is pretty high, but the hotel tried to keep it under control and is no fault of the staff. Overall, I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the few hallways...the noise isn't as bad there. Also if you want a gr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for few night in November 2012 as part of business trip to Austin. Have stayed here many times before and same usual high standards maintained.

For the price paid this hotel is reasonable value for down-town Austin but not cheap.

Excellent location on town lake at Barton Springs Road, perfectly central for down-town but good access to main roads etc. and close to various chain bars and restaurants.

Rooms good size and very well appointed. Excellent breakfast looking over the river with great views of down-town. Outdoor pool and gym available. In house Starbucks coffee shop.

Very good level of service received during my stay. Plenty of car parking onsite.

If you can afford the prices then you will enjoy a fairly luxurious stay at the Hyatt.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business