“Great location and wonderful service”

Hyatt Regency Austin
Ranked #13 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to downtown attractions and right on the running trail. The service was great and the staff very accommodating. We did have a problem finding a parking space one day, but that will be resolved with the new parking garage.

Room Tip: would definitely pay the extra amount to get a river view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,269)

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend in early August. As a Hyatt Diamond member, I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite upon check-in which was a pleasant surprise. The suite was quite large, but the decor seemed just a bit dated and tired to me. The hotel is in a great location...right on the Lake, adjacent to the Congress St. bridge and just south of downtown Austin. We had breakfast on both days in the restaurant and were happy with our meals. We also had drinks in the bar on the first night. The service in the bar was prompt, although I think the drinks were way over priced. Now for the things needing improvement (in my opinion anyway). The pool is a bit small and lacking when compared to the rest of the property. If you want to walk to South Congress you have to walk in the middle of the road as there isn't a really good, direct way to get off the property. You think this would be a fairly easy fix especially with the safety concerns. With that said, my biggest complaint was the parking, or the lack of parking. It seems that patrons to other bars and restaurants opt to use the self parking on weekends as well which left us with valet parking as our only option on Saturday night after a long drive back from Fredricksburg. The hotel seemed to be very full during our stay and you'd think the hotel would consider limiting parking to hotel guests only, but that didn't appear to be the case. I would assume that this will improve with the extension under construction that seems to include parking, but we'll see. Fortunately for us the construction noise wasn't an issue.

Room Tip: Avoid the side of the hotel adjacent to the construction currently underway.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I will make this one simple - despite some construction being done near the hotel, the stay was wonderful. Fast check in and check out, great location next to the river, nice room.

And this rarely happens, but I ate at the restaurant twice. Their menu was actually pretty good for a hotel restaurant, with tons of healthy options.

I recommend this hotel for work travel for sure.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I booked a reservation at the Hyatt Regency and was required to pre-pay for the full amount. I later cancelled the reservation within the allowed time (45 days before stay) and should have been issued a full refund. Three weeks after the cancellation, I still had not received my refund. After multiple attempts to recovery my deposit by contacting the hotel directly and Hyatt's customer service, I had to file a dispute directly with my bank. I am an new Hyatt Gold Passport Member and I couldn't be less enthused about the customer service and handling of my reservation/cancellation. They were certainly eager to accept my money and less than fair when returning it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TWardle
HyattSupport, Social Media Mgr at Hyatt Regency Austin, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Please accept our sincere apology about the wait on your refund. After your cancellation on 7/24 we had a glitch in our system where a batch of our credit card transactions were not processed in a timely manner. It took working with credit card merchant services to resolve this issue that significantly delayed your refund which was ultimately refunded on 8/8. Please let us know if you have any other inquiries, we appreciate your patience during that time. Have a great day.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I had some of the greatest customer service that I've ever experienced at the Hyatt Regency Austin. Their staff is stellar, they make every guest feel as if they're a VIP. I really liked the weather forecast included in their wake up calls. The bar in the lobby is par for the course on expensive hotel bars, but there's not much selection on their side of the lake. Walk across the famous Bat Bridge and you're inundated with Austin's finest choices to suit anyone's taste. My chief complaint about the hotel is the way sound carries up through the open column architecture of the place - the rooms are on the edge and there middle of the hotel is a big open space. The noise level is pretty high, but the hotel tried to keep it under control and is no fault of the staff. Overall, I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the few hallways...the noise isn't as bad there. Also if you want a gr...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for few night in November 2012 as part of business trip to Austin. Have stayed here many times before and same usual high standards maintained.

For the price paid this hotel is reasonable value for down-town Austin but not cheap.

Excellent location on town lake at Barton Springs Road, perfectly central for down-town but good access to main roads etc. and close to various chain bars and restaurants.

Rooms good size and very well appointed. Excellent breakfast looking over the river with great views of down-town. Outdoor pool and gym available. In house Starbucks coffee shop.

Very good level of service received during my stay. Plenty of car parking onsite.

If you can afford the prices then you will enjoy a fairly luxurious stay at the Hyatt.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 7, 2013

6/2013 - The location of the hotel is great - it is right off the river and offers lake activities just steps from the hotel. It is also walking distance to multiple different sections of downtown Austin. The rooms are comfortable - spacious, updated and very clean. The pool is nice offering 50/50 seats in the shade/sun. The pool area is somewhat small when there are alot of people specifically mid - late afternoon. My only downfall of the hotel was the parking - if you come back to the hotel (after 8:30/9pm) the self - parking might be full and you will have to valet and get charged valet prices.

For more information on my trip to Austin see: http://goshrooney.blogspot.com/2013/08/austin-texas.html

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends